Welcome To aBlackWeb

Poll FINALS: Goat Song of 19: Crown For Kings vs Middle Child

FINALS: Goat Song of 19: Crown For Kings vs Middle Child

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Crown for Kings sounds like it came straight from the 90's, flipped sample on the beat, lyricism from both MCs on the mic...

and it won 2019...

source.gif

There's still hope...

Crown for Kings sounds like it came straight from the 90's, flipped sample on the beat, lyricism from both MCs on the mic...

and it won 2019...

source.gif

There's still hope...
Echo won 2018, DNA won 2017, Drug Dealers Anonymous won 2016, Alright won 2015...

Echo won 2018, DNA won 2017, Drug Dealers Anonymous won 2016, Alright won 2015...

DNA is dirty ass cheeks to me.

Still, my point stands. Granted, I've posted joints each year that I feel were superior to those that actually won, and my shit lost out to songs that were unwashed ass after a 3 cheese burrito, the mere fact that we ended up with real hip hop winning is kinda amazing when you take each one of these tournaments in context.

DNA is dirty ass cheeks to me.

Still, my point stands. Granted, I've posted joints each year that I feel were superior to those that actually won, and my shit lost out to songs that were unwashed ass after a 3 cheese burrito, the mere fact that we ended up with real hip hop winning is kinda amazing when you take each one of these tournaments in context.
How your point stands when the majority of the decade is dope or lyrical songs. Outside of Hot Nigga and maybe Power Trip.

How your point stands when the majority of the decade is dope or lyrical songs. Outside of Hot Nigga and maybe Power Trip.

Take each year's tournament from the last, say... 15 years. Look at was beating out the more lyrical, sampled boom bap type of joints. Then look at what actually won. The run up to each finals had MC's gettin' knocked out by "popular" commercial songs only to have something like Echo end up winning.

Further to that point, Crown for Kings sounds completely out of place in 2019. I would have been noddin' my head to a joint like that in the 90's. Echo and the rest of 'em have enough polish where it sounds like a newer song and fits the period it was made in, but Crown for Kings sounds like a straight MPC/ASR kinda track. Outside of "underground" hip hop, where else do you really hear that kinda shit?

Take each year's tournament from the last, say... 15 years. Look at was beating out the more lyrical, sampled boom bap type of joints. Then look at what actually won. The run up to each finals had MC's gettin' knocked out by "popular" commercial songs only to have something like Echo end up winning.

Further to that point, Crown for Kings sounds completely out of place in 2019. I would have been noddin' my head to a joint like that in the 90's. Echo and the rest of 'em have enough polish where it sounds like a newer song and fits the period it was made in, but Crown for Kings sounds like a straight MPC/ASR kinda track. Outside of "underground" hip hop, where else do you really hear that kinda shit?
I think I get your point now. Let me ask you though. What songs should’ve won each year? And just because those songs don’t sound underground it doesn’t make it any less dope.

I think I get your point now. Let me ask you though. What songs should’ve won each year? And just because those songs don’t sound underground it doesn’t make it any less dope.

Give you an example: 2016, IMO, should have been ATCQ "Dis Generation" not only for the song itself but for what it represented (ATCQ as a whole unit with Jarobi). Mind you, ATCQ did get to the quarter finals with "We The People", but I personally felt "Dis Generation" was the better song between the two and definitely better than Keisha or Drug Dealers’ Anonymous. Again, that's just my opinion. My personal favorite from that year was Elzhi's "February", but I can see how it wouldn't have had a chance to win.

Give you an example: 2016, IMO, should have been ATCQ "Dis Generation" not only for the song itself but for what it represented (ATCQ as a whole unit with Jarobi). Mind you, ATCQ did get to the quarter finals with "We The People", but I personally felt "Dis Generation" was the better song between the two and definitely better than Keisha or Drug Dealers’ Anonymous. Again, that's just my opinion. My personal favorite from that year was Elzhi's "February", but I can see how it wouldn't have had a chance to win.
I feel you. I have personal favorites that I feel should’ve won or at least went far. It is what it is. I have no issues with Drug Dealers Anonymous Pusha T and Jay Z bodied the track.

Back