Welcome To aBlackWeb

[Finals] Goat Movie Tournament: The Godfather vs Malcolm X

Better Movie?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I actually think Godfather: Part 2 is the better movie out of the Godfather series...they are almost 2 movies split into one (like Kill Bill).

However, Malcolm X is Spike Lee's magnum opus and Denzel Washington has never played a better, more complete role in my opinion.

His transformation from street hustler Malcolm Little to militant Malcolm X to spiritual Malcolm post-Hajj was beautiful to watch.

Malcolm X is dope too.

The same can be said about Al Pacino portrayal of Michael. How he went from not wanting to be in the family business to taking over and being the cold hearted Godfather.

Malcolm X is dope too.

The same can be said about Al Pacino portrayal of Michael. How he went from not wanting to be in the family business to taking over and being the cold hearted Godfather.

It is a hard choice... both movies are classics.

Another reason I gave the slight edge to Malcolm X is how epic Spike Lee made that movie look on a relatively tight budget ($30 million or so).

*looks at the poll*

ABW i think we can pull this off yall... yall have the opportunity to do the right thing here.. lol you know what you must do...

I think Godfather 2 is the best of the Godfather movies and my personal favorite.

Malcolm X is a great movie and I like it better than The Godfather but if it was going against part 2 It would be hard for me to choose .

This was really tough, but I had to give it to Malcolm X.

The Godfather was an incredible movie, but Malcolm was an incredible person and the movie made about him was a very worthy depiction. Spike Lee would never make another movie as good and Denzel would never turn in a performance as great.

Don't forget the scene when Appalonio got killed in Italy. That turned Mike into the cold hearted guy cuz that was his true love not Kay.

Michael, Fredo, and Moe Green in Vegas.
"Fredo, I love you and you're my older brother. but don't ever take sides with anyone against the family again. Ever."

Tessio getting walked off to get killed.
"Tom, can you get me off the hook for old timed sake?"

Carlo having to answer for Sonny.
"Only don't tell me your innocent. Because it insults my intelligence. It makes me very angry"

The scene when Mike and Vito we're talking before his death. Too many classic quotes.
"women and children can be careless, not men."

"I like to drink wine more than I used too"

"I never wanted this for you" "Senator Corleone, Governor Corleone"

"We'll get there pop"

This scene alone is a masterpiece. The Don went from a caring grandfather and father into the Godfather advising his son one last time just as natural as breathing.

Don't forget this classic.

Other than personal preference can someone explain why Malcolm X is a better movie?
I think Maywood is the only one to even mention a scene from X. All I keep reading about is Denzel and Spike but not reasons why X should be considered the greatest movie of all time like The Godfather is. I love the hell outta the X movie but personally I think The Color Purple is better and dare I say, I even think A Soldier's Story is better than X. The book to Malcolm X is way better than the movie. While The Godfather movie made the book make more sense. There is a reason why The Godfather is on damn near every best movie list rarely ranked below the top 5. Can you say that about Malcolm X?

So is this thread about what movie do we like better or is it about what movie is better?

Other than personal preference can someone explain why Malcolm X is a better movie?
I think Maywood is the only one to even mention a scene from X. All I keep reading about is Denzel and Spike but not reasons why X should be considered the greatest movie of all time like The Godfather is. I love the hell outta the X movie but personally I think The Color Purple is better and dare I say, I even think A Soldier's Story is better than X. The book to Malcolm X is way better than the movie. While The Godfather movie made the book make more sense. There is a reason why The Godfather is on damn near every best movie list rarely ranked below the top 5. Can you say that about Malcolm X?

So is this thread about what movie do we like better or is it about what movie is better?

Malcolm X if full with classic scenes.

I'm pretty sure HNIC derives from this scene

If this shit aint tuck at your heart strings, idk what to tell you

"get your hand out my pocket!!"

no classic scenes?!?

I'm tripping off Malcolm X beating Goodfellas in a landslide but struggling to beat The Godfather.

Goodfellas>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> The Godfather

Malcolm X if full with classic scenes.

I'm pretty sure HNIC derives from this scene

If this shit aint tuck at your heart strings, idk what to tell you

"get your hand out my pocket!!"

no classic scenes?!?

When did I ever say it had no classic scenes? I said nobody is mentioning any scenes about the movie.

I'm tripping off Malcolm X beating Goodfellas in a landslide but struggling to beat The Godfather.

Goodfellas>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> The Godfather

I got The Godfather > The Godfather II > Goodfeallas > Malcolm X but I still let sentiment get in the way and voted Malcolm over Goodfellas even though Goodfellas is better.

The Malcolm X is a good movie with a great performance and direction, but the book is indeed better than the movie and it isn't even close. The combination of the book and James Baldwin's original contributions would have definitely taken it up to an even higher level. Godfather on the other hand is just as good as the book to me. The Color Purple is definitely better and I actually think "Do the Right Thing" is a better movie even if talking about Spike Lee movies.

Last edited:
112dc9c1d8b442cf77f38ae3d19e9cfc9527908e.gifv

3c04c58fa92c1c38abe37a36a85af036dd44da60.gifv

6b8257f7a0389906a0285981334709b9f2937769.gifv

Back