Welcome To aBlackWeb

COMMUNITY Facts, Or He Just Old???

There was some perspective back then at least. I mean OB4CL was thought of us the starting point for the Mafia music phase which people blamed for glorifying drugs and crime, but the album started off with Rae and Ghost talking about how bad the game was and how they wanted to get out and there was nearly as much talk about the bad side of the street life as the good. You can probably make that argument for most of the classing 90s albums. You absolutely can't do that for most of the music nowadays. Over time that nuanced approach to talking about street life has more or less disappeared.

Actually y’all don’t give these kids Credit literally Rod Wave gimmick is rapping about all the betrayal and not trusting anybody. All these rappers do it we just don’t listen to them

The main difference is what gets radio play and even that isnt all that different from the 90s and 2000s in terms of content. Shit it may actually be less violent as a good number of the most popular street rappers don't push for or even need radio play for their music to be heard. You still had shit on the radio people swore was killing hip hop so bad it wouldn't make it to today. And of course if you use classic albums then yeah there's nuance and a perspective not found elsewhere. That's why those are classics. But those classics don't apply to majority of the music that was being discussed. The same with classics made today. They have nuance in their music not seen in their peers a good portion of the rest is the formulaic shit that gets quick spins today and forgotten tomorrow

None of this applies to me because I've never listened to the radio much. Full disclosure though my knowledge of rappers nowadays is limited. I only really know the most popular and the work of the artists I've heard doesn't compare IMO.

None of this applies to me because I've never listened to the radio much. Full disclosure though my knowledge of rappers nowadays is limited. I only really know the most popular and the work of the artists I've heard doesn't compare IMO.

Then you dont really have a strong foundation for the point you were making

Then you dont really have a strong foundation for the point you were making

Strong enough, I still haven't seen where you've named any of the top named artists that contradict what I said. I'm sure you can drudge up some lesser known artists but that doesn't mean anything because you can always find a variety of artists if you look hard enough.

Actually y’all don’t give these kids Credit literally Rod Wave gimmick is rapping about all the betrayal and not trusting anybody. All these rappers do it we just don’t listen to them
Rod Wave not a rapper right? That should be another thread. Like this new post Drake era, what is singers vs rappers?

Strong enough, I still haven't seen where you've named any of the top named artists that contradict what I said. I'm sure you can drudge up some lesser known artists but that doesn't mean anything because you can always find a variety of artists if you look hard enough.

So you've never heard a Kendrick album? Never heard a Krit album? Never heard Big Sean's "Detroit" project? Never heard any of Currensy shit? Never heard anybody in Griselda? These are all rappers today dropping high quality material on a consistent basis. And you don't have to look all that hard for it.

So you've never heard a Kendrick album? Never heard a Krit album? Never heard Big Sean's "Detroit" project? Never heard any of Currensy shit? Never heard anybody in Griselda? These are all rappers today dropping high quality material on a consistent basis. And you don't have to look all that hard for it.
I feel that and agree, just wish the gatekeepers were more well-rounded and black. That's why this year Grammys for hip hop was a great look for rappers who don't get credit like that. I mean we seen how big of a year last year was for Freddie Gibbs for example because of the recognition. The radio goes to OG back pack music like Tribe for chill raps when in reality there is folks STILL making that. Just want better balance in mainstream.

Not because I'm lazy and don't know it exists, but more so for the future rappers who feel the only way to make it is to sound like NBA Youngboy

Fair enough. I'm a fan of Kendrick and KRIT so it is too harsh for me to act like there are no good modern day rappers. But that basically goes to my problem. Then dudes are such outliers that it's easy to forget that they are actually from this era.

Fair enough. I'm a fan of Kendrick and KRIT so it is too harsh for me to act like there are no good modern day rappers. But that basically goes to my problem. Then dudes are such outliers that it's easy to forget that they are actually from this era.

There's no argument against the fact that there's more trash rappers out now and that's simply because there's more rappers. Anyone with a laptop and the internet can upload a song or mixtape and call themselves an MC. But that doesn't mean that 1. People gotta actually listen and 2. That we gotta ignore the good material that is still being released and instead keep up the "Hip hop died when I got older" bullshit the people before us did

Back