Welcome To aBlackWeb

COMMUNITY Facts, Or He Just Old???

Not watching this, but I just found out about dude's story last week. His perspective on the criminal justice system is interesting.

No cliff notes?

Rap is bad. All it talks about is killing these days. Niggas don't even talk about fucking bitches no more. Kids is emulating the rappers and rapper is emulating the street niggas. This shit is all bad. There used to be socially-redeeming content in the music and now it's nothing but violence.

Rinse.

Repeat.

So the same shit they said in the 90s, 2000s, 2010s...

There was some perspective back then at least. I mean OB4CL was thought of us the starting point for the Mafia music phase which people blamed for glorifying drugs and crime, but the album started off with Rae and Ghost talking about how bad the game was and how they wanted to get out and there was nearly as much talk about the bad side of the street life as the good. You can probably make that argument for most of the classing 90s albums. You absolutely can't do that for most of the music nowadays. Over time that nuanced approach to talking about street life has more or less disappeared.

Rap is bad. All it talks about is killing these days. Niggas don't even talk about fucking bitches no more. Kids is emulating the rappers and rapper is emulating the street niggas. This shit is all bad. There used to be socially-redeeming content in the music and now it's nothing but violence.

Rinse.

Repeat.

Sounds like the 90s and 00s to me

I'm not listening to nobody for 18 minutes.

From the back and forth posted here I can say this: Hip hop in the 80's and 90's had more diversity on the radio and on video stations. You could catch Hammer, KRS ONE, Spice 1, and Artifakts playing back to back on video channels and on the radio. Nowadays hip hop on the radio is almost completely one-sided. There's no real conscious cats spittin, no "battle the invisible MC" shits, no backpack lyricists or anything like that for balance. Every song I hear has the exact same elements: Drug use, my homies ain't my homies no more, killin, material possessions, yo bitch is my bitch, and assorted other nonsense. Add to that "my pussy/head the best" when it's a female MC.

So, if this is what he's getting at, then I wholeheartedly agree.

There was some perspective back then at least. I mean OB4CL was thought of us the starting point for the Mafia music phase which people blamed for glorifying drugs and crime, but the album started off with Rae and Ghost talking about how bad the game was and how they wanted to get out and there was nearly as much talk about the bad side of the street life as the good. You can probably make that argument for most of the classing 90s albums. You absolutely can't do that for most of the music nowadays. Over time that nuanced approach to talking about street life has more or less disappeared.

The main difference is what gets radio play and even that isnt all that different from the 90s and 2000s in terms of content. Shit it may actually be less violent as a good number of the most popular street rappers don't push for or even need radio play for their music to be heard. You still had shit on the radio people swore was killing hip hop so bad it wouldn't make it to today. And of course if you use classic albums then yeah there's nuance and a perspective not found elsewhere. That's why those are classics. But those classics don't apply to majority of the music that was being discussed. The same with classics made today. They have nuance in their music not seen in their peers a good portion of the rest is the formulaic shit that gets quick spins today and forgotten tomorrow

The main difference is what gets radio play and even that isnt all that different from the 90s and 2000s in terms of content. Shit it may actually be less violent as a good number of the most popular street rappers don't push for or even need radio play for their music to be heard. You still had shit on the radio people swore was killing hip hop so bad it wouldn't make it to today. And of course if you use classic albums then yeah there's nuance and a perspective not found elsewhere. That's why those are classics. But those classics don't apply to majority of the music that was being discussed. The same with classics made today. They have nuance in their music not seen in their peers a good portion of the rest is the formulaic shit that gets quick spins today and forgotten tomorrow

It ain't even close to the same. Not by a longshot.

Back