Welcome To aBlackWeb

Explain The Appeal Of This Style Of Rapping

Good question

I usually like how it sounds on the beat but couldn’t repeat a single bar

It sounds tight, that's the best I can explain it.
Especially when Bone does it at their best.
"Vocal percussion" maybe a good way of putting it.
Something about them syllables, and harmonies in Bones case, is nice to my ears.

The thing with Layzie is that he just rapped naturally and slower than the rest.
But he flowed with the beat better.

Meanwhile, it's obvious the others were forcing their speed for the song.
And it's obvious with how jarring it is when they did it and how offbeat it sometimes got.

Krayzie is the best to ever do it, though.
Then again, Bizzy is known for doing fast verses in one take.
I'm not sure how common that is with other fast rappers.

BDK was one of the pioneers of that style. Did you ever have a problem listening to Kane?

That's my point. Kane started off rapping regular. He had a couple of joints on his first album with uptempo beats (Raw and Set It Off, and later The Wrath of Kane). Rakim upped the ante with Follow The Leader and later Let The Rhythm Hit Em, which were uptempo songs, but they weren't speed rapping.

Then on the Juice Soundtrack BDK had a song called Nuff Respect, which may have been the beginning of Speed Rap.

I understand what he was trying to do, but I didn't like it.

So to answer your question, I liked Kane better when he rapped at regular speed. Ditto for Busta. I liked the way he was rapping on Put Your Hands Where My Eyes Could See. I didn't really care for the faster stuff because I couldn't understand what he was saying.

To me it's like guitar shredding or skatting. Another musical enhancement tool.

My favorite speed rap song in the past decade... nothing mind blowing on a technical level, but this is god level pen shit here.

Back