Welcome To aBlackWeb

Every Song In History That's Been Certified Diamond

5 Grand

Old School Godfather
A total of 33 songs have been certified diamond.

#1 "Something About the Way You Look Tonight / Candle in the Wind," a double A-side single, was the first-ever song to be certified diamond on October 9, 1997.

#33 "Old Town Road" is the fastest song in history to be certified diamond. It received the honor on October 22, 2019, less than one year after its original release.

Here are the rappers that are on the list, mostly features.

Eminem has three songs, the most of anybody on the list

Eminem
Ludacris
Macklemore and Ryan Lewis
T.I
Juicy J
Wiz Khalifa
Drake
Post Malone
Lil Nas X

I noticed that, with the exception of the Elton John song that was released in 1997, all of the songs were released after 2000.

In fact, the second oldest song that went diamond was Lose Yourself by Eminem, which came out in 2002.

Anybody have any idea why all the songs that went diamond were released after 2000? Seems like older songs would be more likely to sell 10 million units for the simple fact that they've been around longer.

The biggest difference/factor is the internet. mp3 technology came out in 1997 and Napster, the first file sharing service, came out in 1999. But that doesn't really explain why the majority of the songs that went diamond came out over the past 10 years.

I guess the fact that the world population has grown might have something to do with it. Music is more accessible but it's not like teenagers and young adults don't listen to 60s, 70s, 80s, and 90s music.

How come The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, James Brown, Stevie Wonder, Michael Jackson, Prince, Madonna, 2Pac, Biggie and Jay Z don't have any diamond singles?

My personal favorite song is What's Goin On by Marvin Gaye. That song is better than all of the songs on the diamond list combined. How come that didn't go diamond?

Help me figure this out.

Not one Michael Jackson song on the list? Hell, I didn't see that celine Dion joint from titanic or whitney's always love you from the bodyguard either and that's arguably the biggest song ever...gtfoh

most of them are modern so...downloads and streaming
The Elton John joint is the only one that probably really went Diamond, the rest are propped up on the streaming era, they have click farms for that...

So if somebody streams a song it counts as a sale? Thats not right because there's tons of songs on Youtube that have over 10 million views. In fact, there's tons of songs that have over 100 million views.

You're telling me that Dear Mama doesn't have 10 million streams?

1 stream doesn't equal 1 sale tho...

"Under the updated album equivalent ratios, 1,250 premium audio streams, 3,750 ad-supported streams, or 3,750 video streams are equal to one album unit.[10]"...

Appreciate the link, but that still doesn't explain why the majority of those songs were released over the past 10 years.

Seems like they should divide their formula by three to get more accurate sales figures.

I noticed that, with the exception of the Elton John song that was released in 1997, all of the songs were released after 2000.

In fact, the second oldest song that went diamond was Lose Yourself by Eminem, which came out in 2002.

Anybody have any idea why all the songs that went diamond were released after 2000? Seems like older songs would be more likely to sell 10 million units for the simple fact that they've been around longer.

The biggest difference/factor is the internet. mp3 technology came out in 1997 and Napster, the first file sharing service, came out in 1999. But that doesn't really explain why the majority of the songs that went diamond came out over the past 10 years.

I guess the fact that the world population has grown might have something to do with it. Music is more accessible but it's not like teenagers and young adults don't listen to 60s, 70s, 80s, and 90s music.

How come The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, James Brown, Stevie Wonder, Michael Jackson, Prince, Madonna, 2Pac, Biggie and Jay Z don't have any diamond singles?

My personal favorite song is What's Goin On by Marvin Gaye. That song is better than all of the songs on the diamond list combined. How come that didn't go diamond?

Help me figure this out.

Music consumption has become easier and easier as the years have gone on. Also more and more people have access to the technology needed to tap into the increasingly easily accessible music. You have 3 year olds that can navigate a phone / tablet better than some 30 year olds. You have 75 year olds that would rather pick up a kindle / iPad to read than a book.

Even though 1 stream =/= 1 sale. It's far easier to get the needed amount of streams or online music store purchases to reach diamond than it is to get 10,000,000 people into a brick and mortar store or call in a radio station to request a play.

Music consumption has become easier and easier as the years have gone on. Also more and more people have access to the technology needed to tap into the increasingly easily accessible music. You have 3 year olds that can navigate a phone / tablet better than some 30 year olds. You have 75 year olds that would rather pick up a kindle / iPad to read than a book.

Even though 1 stream =/= 1 sale. It's far easier to get the needed amount of streams or online music store purchases to reach diamond than it is to get 10,000,000 people into a brick and mortar store or call in a radio station to request a play.

I agree with the bolded, however.

I refuse to believe that the following songs haven't sold 10 million copies, or 100 million streams/downloads:

Hey Jude - The Beatles
Satisfaction - The Rolling STones
Respect - Aretha Franklin
Stairway To Heaven - Led Zepplin
Bohemian Rapsody - Queen
Billie Jean/Wanna Be Starting Something - Michael Jackson
Planet Rock - Afrika Bambaattaa & The Soul Sonic Force
The Message - Grandmaster Flash & The Furious 5
Bring The Noise - Public Enemy
Nothing Else Matters - Metallica
I Will Always Love You - Whitney Houston
Dear Mama - 2Pac

Some of those songs might be borderline, but I'm sure at least half of them should be at the 10 million mark.

Back