Welcome To aBlackWeb

ESPN’s Sage Steele out as host of ‘NBA Countdown’ after controversial comments

Race Jones

gangster. grace. alchemy
With the NBA playoffs less than two weeks away, ESPN is making a major roster change.

Veteran basketball analyst Sage Steele, who has courted controversy with her conservative comments on social media, will be replaced by Michelle Beadle as host of “NBA Countdown” on both ESPN and ABC, the networks announced Tuesday.

Steele will continue to appear on ESPN’s “SportsCenter on the Road” and she will have an “expanded on-site presence at events such as the Masters, World Series, Super Bowl, the College Football Playoff, and College Football National Championship,” according to a statement.

Steele, 44, has been with the “Worldwide Leader in Sports” for a decade, but found herself in hot water recently as she weighed in on some hot button issues.

sage5n-2-web.jpg

She took to Instagram in January to complain about crowds protesting President Trump’s travel ban.

“So THIS is why thousands of us dragged luggage nearly 2 miles to get to LAX, but still missed our flights,” she captioned a photo of a demonstrators at Los Angeles International Airport.

She also blasted NFL players who chose to kneel during the national anthem and cut short an interview with Arcade Fire’s Win Butler when he began to voice his political opinion after last year’s celebrity All-Star game.

In February, Steele, who is biracial, caused another stir when she shared her experiences with racism at a Christian forum in Tampa.

“The worst racism that I have received [as a biracial woman married to a white man], and I mean thousands and thousands over the years, is from black people, who in my mind thought would be the most accepting because there has been that experience,” she said during a conference on race at the Crossing Church. “But even as recent as the last couple of weeks, the words that I have had thrown at me I can’t repeat here, and it’s 99% from people with my skin color.”

Social media users, who have taken Steele to task over her conservative commentary, had a field day with her demotion.

rory_zpsdks2rs78.gif

Couldn't care less for either of them but, it's been a rough year for these tap dancers since cheetos got elected. I'm sure her white husband will appreciate the quality time with her
uG59vBh_zpsgrfjuqll.png

Reactions: GNS
rory_zpsdks2rs78.gif

Couldn't care less for either of them but, it's been a rough year for these tap dancers since cheetos got elected. I'm sure her white husband will appreciate the quality time with her
uG59vBh_zpsgrfjuqll.png

lmaoooo exactly.

like I said I hope all that cooning was worth it.

well, its kinda late for her to be reprimanded for this when you think about it

maybe something else went down

but she still employed Race hon lol

she's being "demoted"

Back