Welcome To aBlackWeb

Dr Dre Presents…The Aftermath

5th Letter

Mod Squad
1713527798797.jpeg

Released November 26th 1996, it was the first album released on Aftermath Records. Was this album unfairly judged? I’ll do a deep dive ⏸️ and make a determination.

Track 1. Aftermath The Intro produced by Dr Dre and Mel Man featuring verses from Sharief and Sid McCoy. Hot beat and solid verses nothing groundbreaking, I have no idea who these guys are unless they went under different names before or after. 7/10

Track 2. East Coast/West Coast Killas, produced by Dr Dre, Stu B Doo, and Stocks McGuire. The song features RBX, KRS One, B Real from Cypress Hill and Nas. During the height of the East/West beef this song was made to signify unity between the coasts. This was the 1st single, the beat was dope. I liked Nas and KRS’ verses but ehh on B Real and RBX. Maybe if Dre and someone else say an Ice Cube had a verse it would’ve been better. 7/10

Track 3. Shittin On Top of The World produced by Dr Dre and Mel Man. Dope beat, Mel Man was ehh on this. Was he supposed to be the flagship artist initially 🤔 5/10

Track 4. Blunt Time produced by Dr Dre and Stu B Doo, RBX solo song, Roger Troutman provided additional vocals, dope beat and some solid verses, I wasn’t a fan of the chorus though. 7/10

Track 5. Been There Done That, produced by Dr Dre and Bud’da. This was the 2nd single which came out around the time of the album release. Dre got roasted for that dance sequence in the video. Dope song, Dre bragging and boasting about his status in the game. It wasn’t G Thang but it did its job. Easily the best song up to this point 8/10

Track 6. Choices produced by Ewart A Wilson, Floyd Howard, and Glen Mosley. Kim Summerson solo song, this is an R&B song which uses the Jay Z Can I Live sample. Cool little song I like it and imo it’s the 2nd best song on here 8/10

Track 7. As The World Keeps Turning, produced by Flossy P and Chris The Glove Taylor. I’m not sure who’s rapping on this one I assume it’s Flossy P. Decent beat, solid verses nothing crazy, solid track 7/10

Track 8. Got Me Open, produced by Bud’da verse from Dr Dre and mainly features the R&B group Hands On. I like it, they are 2 for 2 on the r&b songs so far. 8/10

Track 9. Str-8 Gone, produced by Bud’da. King T solo song. West coast rap veteran for those who aren’t too familiar with him. Dope beat, solid verses, 7/10

Track 10. Please produced by Maurice Wilcher, this is another r&b song featuring vocals from Maurice Wilcher and Nicole Johnson. Another solid r&b song but not as good as the previous two. 7/10

Track 11. Do 4 Love produced by Bud’da Vocals from Jheryl Lockhart. This is an r&b track, this has the Nas One Love sample, this is a solid track 7/10

Track 12. Sexy Dance produced by Dr Dre and Bud’da, another r&b song featuring vocals from Jheryl Lockhart, Cassandra McCowan and RC, this is a solid track I like it. Tbh I’d rather hear these r&b artists than RBX and Mel Man 🤷🏿‍♂️ 7/10

Track 13. No Second Chance, produced by Rodney Duke and Rose Griffin. Vocals from Who’z Who, I don’t remember them. The chorus reminds me of some Bone Thugs type shit. Yet another r&b song but imo this one is ehh to me. 6/10

Track 14. L.A.W (Lyrical Assault Weapon) produced by Stu B Doo, vocals from Sharief. Back to rap after a string of r&b songs, this is a solid track, dope beat, he was repping NYC borough’s in the intro so I assume he’s a NYer, I just don’t remember him. 7/10

Track 15. Nationowl produced by Bud’da vocals from Christian Nowlin. The beat is fire but I wasn’t feeling the verses at 6/10

Track 16. Fame produced by Dr Dre and Glen The Glove Taylor, vocals from King T and Jheryl Lockhart and RC. Fire beat but this wasn’t it to me. Not a strong way to close the album. 5/10

After giving this a listen. The problem with this album were that people wanted a Dr Dre album and not a compilation and the timing wasn’t great at all. If Dre was on all the songs I’d argue this album would’ve been up there as a “classic”. The strength of this album was in the production. Outside of the singles the album was filled with unknowns so I can see why people were disappointed. There was no Snoop, no Nate Dogg, no Daz and Kurupt or Warren G.

For what this album was meant to be it did its job. It showcased the artists on his new label. I give this album a 7.5/10. It wasn’t bad, it just wasn’t memorable at all. Especially in that climate in 1996 it just didn’t standout.

After giving this a listen. The problem with this album were that people wanted a Dr Dre album and not a compilation and the timing wasn’t great at all. If Dre was on all the songs I’d argue this album would’ve been up there as a “classic”. The strength of this album was in the production. Outside of the singles the album was filled with unknowns so I can see why people were disappointed. There was no Snoop, no Nate Dogg, no Daz and Kurupt or Warren G.

For what this album was meant to be it did its job. It showcased the artists on his new label. I give this album a 7.5/10. It wasn’t bad, it just wasn’t memorable at all. Especially in that climate in 1996 it just didn’t standout.

7.5 is high af.

I dont even remember if i even bothered to skim thru this back in 96

He was tryin to find his way in the post g funk era. And thid was meh, so he came back with 2001.

tbh this shit was a dud n how many of these artists actually dropped solos on aftermath. Im guessin none

7.5 is high af.

I dont even remember if i even bothered to skim thru this back in 96

He was tryin to find his way in the post g funk era. And thid was meh, so he came back with 2001.

tbh this shit was a dud n how many of these artists actually dropped solos on aftermath. Im guessin none
The songs for the most part weren’t bad songs. Just that nobody knew who they were. The first album had cats that no one knew that eventually became known.

Think people wernt happy with 'Been There Done That' and Dre in a suit ballroom dancing, they wanted more gangsta sh!t and he was trying to be more positive...

I thought it was fire and this era of Dre was dope, the beats were kinda errie and had a doomsday vibe...

Think people wernt happy with 'Been There Done That' and Dre in a suit ballroom dancing, they wanted more gangsta sh!t and he was trying to be more positive...

I thought it was fire and this era of Dre was dope, the beats were kinda errie and had a doomsday vibe...

The outro beat was dope af. Ras kass flipped it n made a tight song.

With other beats, he was trying to find a new lane after the g funk era n wanted to switch shit up

The outro beat was dope af. Ras kass flipped it n made a tight song.

With other beats, he was trying to find a new lane after the g funk era n wanted to switch shit up

Yeah you can see how this transitioned into the '2001' Dre... I loved the King T project that got shelved too...

This era produced some real dope Dre tunes though, like I said it was a kinda errie/Mad Max vibe...

Back