Welcome To aBlackWeb

Dr Dre is Workin On A Marvin Gaye Biopic

Goldie

I Just Want Some Chips
Site Owner
Dr. Dre is developing a movie about Marvin Gaye, making a deal with Sony/ATV Music Publishing to secure the rights to the late Motown icon's music.

Reps for Dre and Sony/ATV confirmed the deal to Rolling Stone, though the film remains in the very early stages of development. Sources tell Rolling Stone that, among other conditions, the project would need the approval of Motown founder Berry Gordy to move forward. A representative for Gordy did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
Variety reports, Dr. Dre is the latest in a long line of producers, musicians, actors and filmmakers who have tried to turn Gaye's life into a movie. Cameron Crowe, James Gandolfini, F. Gary Gray and Scott Rudin have all attempted to make such a film. One particularly tumultuous project, Sexual Healing, directed by Julien Temple, was first set to star Jesse L. Martin (Rent, Law & Order), then Lenny Kravitz. When Kravitz dropped out of the film in 2013, Martin was tapped again for the starring role.

In 2016, Gaye's family granted Jamie Foxx the rights to develop a limited series about the singer, but the project has not yet moved forward.

For Dre, the Marvin Gaye biopic marks the rapper-mogul's first major film project since Straight Outta Compton, the N.W.A. biopic he inspired and produced. The film was a commercial and critical success, notching an Oscar nomination for Best Original Screenplay. Prior to Straight Outta Compton, Dr. Dre dabbled in acting and producing, notably making appearances in Training Day and The Wash.

The Blast is now reporting that Marvin's son, Marvin Gaye III, has responded to the announcement saying the deal has not yet been approved. “In regards to the announcement that was made in the media on June 18 as it pertains to a biopic about my father, the legendary iconic singer Marvin Gaye, that is being produced by Dr. Dre, I want to say that it was prematurely announced, therefore I denounce these statements," he said.

“I love and highly respect Dr. Dre, and we are currently in talks about his participation in the film. However, the movie rights have not been granted nor secured at this time from me as an heir. My hope is to have a group of capable and experienced film producers to be involved with the making of a wonderful masterpiece of my dad’s life.”

It seems as though a certain somebody thought the announcement would sway Marvin the third into securing the deal, but he's not settling for "nothing less than excellence."

Back