Welcome To aBlackWeb

OUT NOW Doja Cat - Amala

A Black Web Reviews:
Doja Cat - Amala (Deluxe Edition 16 songs version)
Reviewed by: AP21

Like many of you who may be reading this, my first introduction to Doja Cat was her 2018 single "MOOO".

The version I heard was on youtube and I, admittedly, dismissed it and charged it to being some parody rap, as if we need more of that in the industry. I heard it sometime late last year and by then formed my opinion as someone who would just be around for their 15 min, then dip. Fastfoward to 2019 and I heard her single "Tia Tamar feat. Rico Nasty). Not sure what made me press play, but I did. Before I did, I assumed the song was just going to be slightly different version of "MOOO". BOY WAS I WRONG. This was NOTHING like MOOOOO and I mean that in a good way (I'll later discuss my thoughts on "MOOO" later, now that I've given the album multiple listens). This was the polar opposite of the more laid back "MOOO". She is rapping which through me for a loop. Is she a rapper? Is she a singer? I came to the conclusion that she is an artist that doesn't to be pigeonholed into one category.

The Los Angeles based Doja Cat debut comes in at 16 songs with only two credited features. Immediately, I was very impressed off that alone. A brand new female artist with a debut album with no huge co-signs from more established artists? Didn't think we would get these types of projects in today's musical climate, but here we are. Hopefully more newer artists will trust and believe in themselves and limit the amount of features on their projects.

Doja spends most of the album singing over the beats which, I was VERY pleased with. She has a bit of a rough start out the block with her first two songs, but she quickly settles in with "Wine Pon You".

It is one of my favorite songs on the project. A very smooth, laid back beat that has a Texas Screw feel to it. You quickly find yourself slowly bobbing your head to her saying "while I wine pine you, while I wine pine you". The next track "Fancy" is more uptempo but she still manages to have a laid back flow to it. The next few songs on the album play like a soundtrack to a summer romance when the two people involved know their time is coming to an end, and just don't want it to end. There is enough variety across the production and subject matter that no two songs sound exactly alike. If I had to just pick and album to compare it to, it would be Childish Gambino's Kauai Mixtape where you had a balance of rap and singing. It has a similar vibe as well.

"Game" speeds up the temp a lot and really stands out from the rest of the songs on the project. While it's one of my least favorites songs on the project, I think it still serves its intended purpose. I've listened to this album maybe 10 times in a week with little to no skipping and I can honestly say that I cannot say that she sounds like any one currently out which is very refreshing. She might have a similar cadence here and there (which is kind of expected these days), however, her voice is very distinctive and unique.

I previously mentioned my initial disdain for "MOOO". I mean, could you blame me? I saw a female dressed like a cow with french fries in her nostrils in the thumbnail. Video starts and it looked like Anime married Old McDonald's farm. Then the lyrics began with "Bitch I'm a cow, Bitch I'm a cow". My first thought, "what did I just click on". As I listened through her project, and MOOO came on as the last song on the playlist, I decided to give it an honest listen, and you know what? It's one of my favorite songs on the album. Who would've thought?

Out of 16 songs, 13 really stand out and make this a VERY VERY nice project. I am really looking forward to her future work as an artist in this industry. She definitely has talent and not a one trick pony. It will be interesting to see how she follows up this project.

Keep:
Roll Out
Wine Pon You (ABW Fav)
Fancy
Wild Beach
Morning Light
Candy
Casual
Body Language
All Nighter
Tia Tamara (ABW Fav)
MOOO

Skip:
Juicy
Go to Town
Cookie Jar
Game

ABW Rating:
4/5 Webs

Last edited:
A Black Web Reviews:
Doja Cat - Amala (Deluxe Edition 16 songs version)
Reviewed by: AP21

Like many of you who may be reading this, my first introduction to Doja Cat was her 2018 single "MOOO".

The version I heard was on youtube and I, admittedly, dismissed it and charged it to being some parody rap, as if we need more of that in the industry. I heard it sometime late last year and by then formed my opinion as someone who would just be around for their 15 min, then dip. Fastfoward to 2019 and I heard her single "Tia Tamar feat. Rico Nasty). Not sure what made me press play, but I did. Before I did, I assumed the song was just going to be slightly different version of "MOOO". BOY WAS I WRONG. This was NOTHING like MOOOOO and I mean that in a good way (I'll later discuss my thoughts on "MOOO" later, now that I've given the album multiple listens). This was the polar opposite of the more laid back "MOOO". She is rapping which through me for a loop. Is she a rapper? Is she a singer? I came to the conclusion that she is an artist that doesn't to be pigeonholed into one category.

The Los Angeles based Doja Cat debut comes in at 16 songs with only two credited features. Immediately, I was very impressed off that alone. A brand new female artist with a debut album with no huge co-signs from more established artists? Didn't think we would get these types of projects in today's musical climate, but here we are. Hopefully more newer artists will trust and believe in themselves and limit the amount of features on their projects.

Doja spends most of the album singing over the beats which, I was VERY pleased with. She has a bit of a rough start out the block with her first two songs, but she quickly settles in with "Wine Pon You".

It is one of my favorite songs on the project. A very smooth, laid back beat that has a Texas Screw feel to it. You quickly find yourself slowly bobbing your head to her saying "while I wine pine you, while I wine pine you". The next track "Fancy" is more uptempo but she still manages to have a laid back flow to it. The next few songs on the album play like a soundtrack to a summer romance when the two people involved know their time is coming to an end, and just don't want it to end. There is enough variety across the production and subject matter that no two songs sound exactly alike. If I had to just pick and album to compare it to, it would be Childish Gambino's Kauai Mixtape where you had a balance of rap and singing. It has a similar vibe as well.

"Game" speeds up the temp a lot and really stands out from the rest of the songs on the project. While it's one of my least favorites songs on the project, I think it still serves its intended purpose. I've listened to this album maybe 10 times in a week with little to no skipping and I can honestly say that I cannot say that she sounds like any one currently out which is very refreshing. She might have a similar cadence here and there (which is kind of expected these days), however, her voice is very distinctive and unique.

I previously mentioned my initial disdain for "MOOO". I mean, could you blame me? I saw a female dressed like a cow with french fries in her nostrils in the thumbnail. Video starts and it looked like Anime married Old McDonald's farm. Then the lyrics began with "Bitch I'm a cow, Bitch I'm a cow". My first thought, "what did I just click on". As I listened through her project, and MOOO came on as the last song on the playlist, I decided to give it an honest listen, and you know what? It's one of my favorite songs on the album. Who would've thought?

Out of 16 songs, 13 really stand out and make this a VERY VERY nice project. I am really looking forward to her future work as an artist in this industry. She definitely has talent and not a one trick pony. It will be interesting to see how she follows up this project.

Keep:
Roll Out
Wine Pon You (ABW Fav)
Fancy
Wild Beach
Morning Light
Candy
Casual
Body Language
All Nighter
Tia Tamara (ABW Fav)
MOOO

Skip:
Juicy
Go to Town
Cookie Jar
Game

ABW Rating:
4/5 Webs

Kinda thought she had a bit of talent tho. Something about how she sang the hook on "Moo" gave me that idea.

I checked a few of her other songs out there a while ago and she wasn't half bad. Haven't checked out the album tho. Ima give it a listen later.

Back