Welcome To aBlackWeb

Do you owe it to your child to......

Except it's not dismissing when no one fucking knows the native language except indigenous tribes. You said immediate access. My grandparents spoke Spanish. My great-grandparents spoke Spanish. But you got it doe lol. Dismissing it for white society

Then that part doesn't apply to you. You're people have already lost theirs and can repeat the same thing with the Spanish language if you choose.

I dont think folks knowing a language that was forced on their folks is that bad. Same reason latinos dont speak indian languages is the same reason we dont. I don't call it cooning.

That's not where the sell out mentality comes from, though. Latins often nest their very identity in their Spanishness. The adoption of sports, religions, and languages forced on them by their oppressors is foundational. Thus, their colonial subjugation defines them. In many Latin American countries, being more closely related to Spaniards than Latinos can even grant a heightened socioeconomic status.

Black folks have at least carved out a culture and identity that doesn't draw life from their colonizers - in many instances, Blackness is the outright opposition to them; to be black is to brazenly and deliberately defy Whiteness and White cultural norms. For that reason, I'd say Latins take the L, if we're comparing who sold out more.

Yeah I said it.

My kids will know Spanish. They'll have to communicate with my mom somehow even though she understands English she just could never get the hang of speaking it .

teach them how to speak your native or cultural background language after your family migrated to another country?

i was speaking to a haitian chick.
chick 1. she speaks creole and english
chick 2. her sister speaks creole, english and spanish.

both chicks grew up in the states but was born in haiti.

chick 2, feels its important to teach her children where they came from and their native language.
chick 1, feels they in america and no need to teach her child to speak creole.

yet they both speak creole to each other and with their family.

does a parent owe it to their child to teach them the language(s) they speak ,and/or native language?

I think it's necessary to keep that heritage link and culture (behavior) teaches how to move in this world and how to represent their background. Anyone with strong cultural ties would dishonor their progeny by not teaching it to them.

Black folks have at least carved out a culture and identity that doesn't draw life from their colonizers.

Gotta say I totally disagree. Everything about black American culture is either a direct or indirect result drawn from life under White Supremacy.

Gotta say I totally disagree. Everything about black American culture is either a direct or indirect result drawn from life under White Supremacy.

In the big picture scheme of things, I would have to agree. The instruments Black artists used to carve out their genres came from White society. Soul Food has origins coming from the leftover rations given to slaves. Even Black Wall Street derives its name from a White institution. But I still there is a contrast in how Latin Americans have let Spanish vestiges become emblematic of their identity, compared with how Black Americans have constantly pushed for an identity that exists in defiance of Whiteness.

In the big picture scheme of things, I would have to agree. The instruments Black artists used to carve out their genres came from White society. Soul Food has origins coming from the leftover rations given to slaves. Even Black Wall Street derives its name from a White institution. But I still there is a contrast in how Latin Americans have let Spanish vestiges become emblematic of their identity, compared with how Black Americans have constantly pushed for an identity that exists in defiance of Whiteness.

This is an interesting point. Strong enough to warrant it's own thread tbh.

Back