Welcome To aBlackWeb

Do we still get any original & creative hip hop tunes???

Big L's 'Ebonics' popped up on my iPod shuffle last week, I hadnt heard it in ages (maybe even years) and it just hit different...

What an ingenious song, not only the skill involved to write it but to even think of creating such an original and creative song too, then it got me thinking...

I cant think of the last time I heard an original or creative hip hop tune, yeah we still get dope tunes but I cant think of the last original or extra creative song I heard, in the 90's and early 00's we got tons of them... It seems the most creative songs we get now are stories, nothing too original...

Am I just missing out and being overly nostalgic??? If so post up some new/newish creative tunes...

Here are a just few classics, I dont think we get anything on this level anymore...

Big L - Ebonics

2Pac - Me & My Girlfriend

Nas - I Gave You Power

Saigon & Kool G Rap - Letter P

Saigon - Favorite Things

Blackalicious - Alphabet Aerobics

Jay Z - 22 Twos

Biggie - 10 Crack Commandments

Common - I Used To Love H.E.R

Last edited:

This the RapGenius summary
This song introduces Iron Hood, the superhero/alter ego played by Open Mike Eagle, based in part on Juggernaut from the X-Men.

The Juggernaut alludes to the attitude of being a “tough guy”. However, while the Juggernaut is tough he is still prone to mental weakness. This mental weakness is embodied by the Juggernaut’s step brother, Charles Xavier, who is repeatedly brought up throughout the song. While the Juggernaut may be physically strong he is still subject to telepathic attack from his step brother. To compensate for his mental weakness the Juggernaut wears a helmet to protect him from Xavier.

This whole song can be thought of as an allegory for the mentality people are forced to have when growing up or living in tough communities. To protect themselves people often don a “tough guy” persona when in reality they are still vulnerable to emotional pain.

This the RapGenius summary
This song introduces Iron Hood, the superhero/alter ego played by Open Mike Eagle, based in part on Juggernaut from the X-Men.

The Juggernaut alludes to the attitude of being a “tough guy”. However, while the Juggernaut is tough he is still prone to mental weakness. This mental weakness is embodied by the Juggernaut’s step brother, Charles Xavier, who is repeatedly brought up throughout the song. While the Juggernaut may be physically strong he is still subject to telepathic attack from his step brother. To compensate for his mental weakness the Juggernaut wears a helmet to protect him from Xavier.

This whole song can be thought of as an allegory for the mentality people are forced to have when growing up or living in tough communities. To protect themselves people often don a “tough guy” persona when in reality they are still vulnerable to emotional pain.

Thats a fire tune, defo feeing that...

In recent times, that last innovative song I heard was the LOX's "Story."

But for the most part, nope. I would be interested in someone creating a song about the life of a Tweet: it's creating, its impact, and if possible, when someone deletes it. Shit could be dope.

In recent times, that last innovative song I heard was the LOX's "Story."

But for the most part, nope. I would be interested in someone creating a song about the life of a Tweet: it's creating, its impact, and if possible, when someone deletes it. Shit could be dope.

Sh!t thats not a bad idea... Could do the good and the bad... Social media bulling, influencing (good and bad), politics, disinformation, spark revolutions etc

Sounds like you're talking about concept records. Rappers don't really make those too much anymore. But I feel you. I had a Nas day recently when I was riding around the city handling business. Rewind came on and I was like 'Damn, how I forget about this shit? This was an amazing record!'

Sounds like you're talking about concept records. Rappers don't really make those too much anymore. But I feel you. I had a Nas day recently when I was riding around the city handling business. Rewind came on and I was like 'Damn, how I forget about this shit? This was an amazing record!'

Yeah, its almost like a lost art... Same with concept albums too, which is one reason Masta Ace is top 5 GOAT MC's for me, along with his longevity, his albums are like movies or TV series with great story arcs...

Almost every album hes made is a concept album, if you listen to these 4 albums in this order, you get his loosely based life story (with skits, i miss skits lol)...

The Falling Season (2016)
A Long Hot Summer (2005)
Disposable Arts (2001)
eMC's - The Show (2008)

Back