Welcome To aBlackWeb

Do They Still Play Music Videos On (Cable) TV?

5 Grand

Old School Godfather
I only have basic cable which is like 25 channels, on demand, and music choice. But I don't get any channels that play music videos.

Are there any cable channels like the old MTV or BET?

The reason I ask is because I was watching this J Cole video on Youtube, which appears to be a high budget video. But I'm wondering what's the point of a high budget video if there's no outlet that would play the video?

Does anybody know how the video industry works?

The internet surpassed cable a while ago. That’s why music videos on YT have millions and some billions of views.

That 21 savage video prolly has 50 million views or so

Yeah I get that, but the problem with Youtube is that if you don't know about an artist you're less likely to search for his video.

Back in the 90s and early 2000s you'd get an even balance from all regions and all styles (Mos Def, Talib Kweli, The Roots, Jay Z, DMX, Ja Rule, 50 Cent, Busta, Master P, Ludacris, T.I., etc.) and they would break new artists, granted you'd have to be on a major label to get on MTV but it still worked imo.

As much as I'd like to upgrade my cable to get the music video channels, I just can't afford it right now.

Yeah I get that, but the problem with Youtube is that if you don't know about an artist you're less likely to search for his video.

Back in the 90s and early 2000s you'd get an even balance from all regions and all styles (Mos Def, Talib Kweli, The Roots, Jay Z, DMX, Ja Rule, 50 Cent, Busta, Master P, Ludacris, T.I., etc.) and they would break new artists, granted you'd have to be on a major label to get on MTV but it still worked imo.

As much as I'd like to upgrade my cable to get the music video channels, I just can't afford it right now.

Outside of Rap City in the 90's/2000's there wasn't a balance of lesser known artist and big name ones. The Yo' MTV Raps and Video Souls just played the hot artist/videos.

And you didn't have to be on a major label to get your video played, just a hit song

I only have basic cable which is like 25 channels, on demand, and music choice. But I don't get any channels that play music videos.

Are there any cable channels like the old MTV or BET?

The reason I ask is because I was watching this J Cole video on Youtube, which appears to be a high budget video. But I'm wondering what's the point of a high budget video if there's no outlet that would play the video?

Does anybody know how the video industry works?

Youtube is the outlet. Its on every phone and pc. Cable is high mtv2 and shit show vids

It’s a different day and age now fam, that style is ancient. Most people only watch mtv and vh1 for reality shows these days.

There’s multiple ways that new artists are discovered, one is playlists on streaming platforms. Another is the main page. On most streaming platforms they’ll recommend the hottest new songs and half of the time it’s people I’ve never heard of.

This is currently Tidal’s front Page

5FC91896-50F4-4416-835C-DA3CACF62922.png

There was no shit better than the box, that shit had you listening to music you wouldn't have known about.

Back