Do Rappers Still Make Skits?

5 Grand

Old School Godfather
Mar 14, 2018
Whitehorse Gardens
In the 90s just about every rap album had a skit. And 99% of them were corny. After you hear a skit once it's not funny anymore and ruins the flow of an album.

I've never heard a skit that I wanted to hear again.

Do rappers still make skits?

And what was the point of a skit? Was it a way to get writing/publishing credit on an album without having to share the credit with a producer or clearing any samples?

Or was the purpose of a skit to break up the flow of an album? (which seems pointless)

• Haha
Reactions: Marc123
yeah,but I usually hated skits anyway.

A few are classic,but most just take up space on albums for nothing.

More often somebody might have a person talking like a skit during a song like in or as a hook like Benny got a chick talking on a song as the hook.

it's not as popular,but they still happen.

I like good skits that serve a purpose, for instance Masta Ace's skits are like cut scenes that help tell the story of the album... They dont get old age as they are an almost integral part of the album...

TBH even if some skits dont do anything (like the madd rapper) I still used to quite like them as they brake the album up and almost add some personality to the album...

• Goat
Reactions: SheerExcellence
Rappers don’t have senses of humor or a love for cinematic art of a cohesive album anymore.

Rappers don’t have senses of humor or a love for cinematic art of a cohesive album anymore.

You hit the nail on the head there, I was trying to find the right words lol good skits defo add cohesiveness and are especially great for concept albums etc like Ace's albums are cinematic and like they are movies or a minis series and the skits defo help the album flow and help you get to know the characters better...

Nowadays most albums and mixtapes are a collection of random songs... A club song, a street song, a song for chicks, a feature or a beat from a a rapper or producers because they are popping atm etc no cohesiveness or real direction...

The skits i like are the ones that help the flow of the album. Like with Big KRIT's "4eva n a day" it told a day in the life story from early morning til late night and the skits help it in between.

I think most skits were there for comedic purposes for albums. Just the artist goofing around. Like Luda's albums or Cam'ron's. But they still do em tho

You hit the nail on the head there, I was trying to find the right words lol good skits defo add cohesiveness and are especially great for concept albums etc like Ace's albums are cinematic and like they are movies or a minis series and the skits defo help the album flow and help you get to know the characters better...

Nowadays most albums and mixtapes are a collection of random songs... A club song, a street song, a song for chicks, a feature or a beat from a a rapper or producers because they are popping atm etc no cohesiveness or real direction...

Yea Kendrick Lamar don’t exist?

Skits are trash asf. Yeah there was some funny ones but I'm 33 now, I don't care to hear a goofy skit between songs.

Reactions: 5 Grand
there are some skits that changed the flow of the album, i felt that way about college drop out and miseducation of lauryn hill

and i hated it when skits weren’t their own track