Welcome To aBlackWeb

Do Black Men Have An Obligation To Mentor Young Black Boys?

This video has sparked a discussion on social media the past day or so about Dr. Umar's comments regarding Black men's role in being leaders in the community. There's been a good number of comments from men along the lines of "It ain't our responsibility to mentor/lead fatherless kids", that's the clean version of what's being said by some. While others are saying that it should be the job of the community and Black men to step up and be leaders especially in situations where other men have fallen short. And by mentors it can be anything from coaching a youth league to a simple "Take your ass off the street and do something productive" conversation not literally raising somebody else's child. Thought I'd see where this could go on ABW...

Ideally, yeah. Playing a leadership/mentor role naturally rubs off on the people receiving it. They'll learn the value of leadership and brotherhood and will be better equipped to carry that spirit on for present and future generations, like a snowball effect.

Thing is, many men (or just people in general) who might be candidates to mentor need their OWN mentorship or form of soul searching to even entertain the idea of extending knowledge and wisdom to other people.

A communal/collective spirit needs to overtake the western tendency to individualize. This forum, and threads like these, are a microcosm of that goal. We get together, we communicate and we spread ideas.

If you see a young man that needs guidance, what do you gain by not helping him? I understand that not all the kids will get the message but we should give guidance to any child or young adult who’s seeking or who needs it.

If you see a young man that needs guidance, what do you gain by not helping him? I understand that not all the kids will get the message but we should give guidance to any child or young adult who’s seeking or who needs it.

That's the biggest hurdle, imo. Some of these little mfers are absolute demons my nigga. When I hit up the old way it ain't nothing to hear a story of some little mfer you knew as a happy ass toddler walking down on someone like they just walked out of the gates of hell yesterday. It's tough for a mfer to go off and do his thing, find some success, and then come back and try to connect with that; they are just on two totally different wavelengths.

Ideally, yeah. Playing a leadership/mentor role naturally rubs off on the people receiving it. They'll learn the value of leadership and brotherhood and will be better equipped to carry that spirit on for present and future generations, like a snowball effect.

Thing is, many men (or just people in general) who might be candidates to mentor need their OWN mentorship or form of soul searching to even entertain the idea of extending knowledge and wisdom to other people.

A communal/collective spirit needs to overtake the western tendency to individualize. This forum, and threads like these, are a microcosm of that goal. We get together, we communicate and we spread ideas.

The idea of community is under attack in the western world. It's all about the individual and completely ignores anyone's responsibility to society.

As black ppl, we all have a responsibility to the community imo. I hate when ppl have that "no one owes you anything/you don't owe anyone anything" mentality cuz all we got on earth is each other. You damn right we owe it to each other to look out. It's hard and thankless but wtf else we gon do.

Glad to see these responses because if you click the tweet you can see the discussion devolved into a bunch of loser ass dudes saying "I'm not playing step dad to a woman's bad choice in men"...and it was wild as hell to see the same people who often say community efforts are needed while being 100% against being part of that community and boiling the discussion solely down to dating when it's much deeper

Glad to see these responses because if you click the tweet you can see the discussion devolved into a bunch of loser ass dudes saying "I'm not playing step dad to a woman's bad choice in men"...and it was wild as hell to see the same people who often say community efforts are needed while being 100% against being part of that community and boiling the discussion solely down to dating when it's much deeper

Because of pure selfishness and stupidity

Back