Welcome To aBlackWeb

Delta’s CEO offers a simple solution to the raging debate over reclining seats on airplanes. what say you?

DOS_patos

Unverified Legion of Trill member
Delta Air Lines Inc.’s chief executive officer, Ed Bastian, weighed in on a simmering debate about proper decorum when reclining one’s seat on a flight.

In an interview on CNBC Friday morning, the airline chief said that the recommended etiquette is to ask permission, particularly if the person sitting behind you is tall, before reclining.

“I think if someone knows there’s a tall person behind them, and they want to recline their seat, I think the polite thing would be to make certain it was OK,” Bastian said. “I never recline ’cause I don’t think it’s something — since I’m the CEO of the airline — that I should be reclining my seat. And I never say anything if someone reclines into me.”

Bastian’s comments come as a video via Twitter maintained virality on social media, showing a passenger repeatedly punching the back of the seat of another passenger who had reclined her seat into his space.

MarketWatch’s Catey Hill wrote that more than four in 10 (or 41%) of people believe it is very or somewhat rude to recline your seat during a flight, citing a survey by FiveThirtyEight.

Bastian said he still believes that customers have the right to recline.

Bastian told CNBC that his airline has been testing “reduced recline” in seats, with the current controversy in mind.

Delta is the largest U.S. carrier by dint of its $38 billion market value. The airline recently reported fourth-quarter adjusted earnings of $1.70 a share, compared with analysts’ expectations of $1.40 a share. Unlike a number of other airlines, Delta doesn’t feature the Boeing Co. BA, -0.68% 737 MAX jet in its roster

Delta’s shares were 0.7% lower on Friday and have been underperforming the broader market, moving up 0.4% so far this year. That compares with a 4.3% gain for S&P 500 index SPX, +0.18% thus far in 2020, a 2.8% advance by the Dow Jones Industrial Average DJIA, -0.09% and an 8.2% rise for the Nasdaq Composite Index COMP, +0.20% over the first seven weeks of the new year.

I’m not asking to recline and I’m not getting mad at somebody reclining. Don’t make it so the seats recline if we’re not supposed to recline.

If I recline and the person behind me politely asks me to not, I’ll probably oblige. But if they’re an asshole about it enjoy your 3 inches of legroom on this 3 hour flight bitch.

Yeah them little ass planes is the real issue. And depending some of those seat put the person in front of you damn near in your lap.

I just touched down in Frankfurt this morning. A dude in the row next to had the guy in front of him lean his shit back like he cruisin the strip. Ok boy was like hell maw and pushed his seat hard ass hell. The guy raised up. Mind you, this was a 7 and a half hour flight.

They keep cramming ppl in and there will be world star moments ahead

Seats getting reclined is annoying, but the dude that was punching the old lady's seat should've got his chin checked
Or something. Your first reaction is start PUNCHING the chair!? Wouldnt be suprising if he gets nailed for some violent act in the future.

I’m not asking to recline and I’m not getting mad at somebody reclining. Don’t make it so the seats recline if we’re not supposed to recline.

If I recline and the person behind me politely asks me to not, I’ll probably oblige. But if they’re an asshole about it enjoy your 3 inches of legroom on this 3 hour flight bitch.

Pretty much this.
I seldom if ever recline out of consideration for the other person behind. When I do recline, it's usually because I'm taking a long distance flight (i.e. more than 7 hrs) and at some point I need to sleep - even the flight acknowledges "sleep time" by dimming the lights anyways.

In any case, I can't really get mad at the person in front of me exercising the recline function of their seat that they paid for. Would it be nice/polite if they asked me before they did it? Of course yes. But equally, would I be an asshole for declining? Probably. Or put it another way, what if they asked and I said "I'd rather you not" but they said fuck it, I'm still gonna recline?

The problem doesn't even become a problem if you do two things:

a) reduce the number of seats on the flights, providing sufficient leg room and space for all passengers
b) remove the recline function on all seats all together

Man....
Some of yall tripping.

I flight quite often.
I been on airfrance an the seat are almost in your lap. You don't have room to move.

When shit like that happens....I turn on the air an aim it at they head. If they talk that re aim your air shit....Move ya chair up. Cuz I ain't start hard tapping on the seat back screen yet nor kneeing the chair to get comfortable or yanking ya shit back getting back into my seat from frequent bathroom runs.

I can be nice or fuck the flight up.
But y'all know me. I never want smoke

I'm 6'3'' with bad knees. If he's not an asshole with it, I'll usually allow the nigga in front of me to recline his shit. But if he is, I can position my knees in such a way that that nigga ain't gone have room to recline shit.

Pussy nigga.

Wait ppl really be mad when seats recline? First thing I do when I get on a plane is let the seat back. Figured everybody just knew they was gon be cramped. Cost of doin business in coach.

Wait ppl really be mad when seats recline? First thing I do when I get on a plane is let the seat back. Figured everybody just knew they was gon be cramped. Cost of doin business in coach.
Some of us got long legs. I ain't no midget. I doubt you don't have enough leg room. The space were my legs are belong to me, not the person in front. Your space is where your legs are.

Last edited:
Back