Welcome To aBlackWeb

CYOL (RD 1) Hustle Hard Records vs Ill Will Records

EMINEM - THE SLIM SHADY SHOW

Cover - 5. Best cover dropped so far in the tournament .

Tracklist/Cohesion - 3.5 . Great choice for prodcution (alch) , but i think we've learned from his last album, em needs to chill with the collabs with female rnb/pop singers.

Sales - 5. Even the last album everybody hated is plat.

Critical Acclaim - 4. He'll prolly take home a few awards with solid album reviews.

Total = 17.5

The Wale Chronicles

Cover - 5. Goat shit.

Tracklist/Cohesion - 5. Perfect choices for producers and collabs. Cole and Wale always create fire.

Sales - 1. Homie hasn't moved units in a while.

Acclaim - 3. No awards, good reviews.

Total = 14

J. Cole - WHAT DREAMS MAY COME TRUE

Cover - 4. Solid Cover.

Tracklist/Cohesion - 3. It's time to kill edward. And this was our only opportunity to finally add guest features to a cole album.

Sales - 4. Normally goes 1-2x plat.

Critical Acclaim - 4 , great reviews and maybe an award or 2.

Total = 15

Ill Will Records

Longevity

Cole's is the only artist who will be moving units in 5 years. Em will prolly officially be retired.

Total = 77

Sion wins​

Yo wouldn't it be a lot easier if y'all just rate all of what the labels did and give overall points in the categories instead of critiquing each individual project (also easier to read and less time consuming). Cuz yall niggas gonna be here for a long time. All artists have their advantages and shortcomings which is where the whole label comes into play.

Doesn't it make more sense to do it that way ? Especially if you're giving overall critiques at the end of the judging anyways ?

That would be easier, I was following Goldie's lead cause I thought that's how y'all did it during the IC. I'll do that

Im workin on it but damn im tired. Im just gonna save what I got and ill finish it up tomorrow. Half way down with judging yours @Sion

Yo wouldn't it be a lot easier if y'all just rate all of what the labels did and give overall points in the categories instead of critiquing each individual project (also easier to read and less time consuming). Cuz yall niggas gonna be here for a long time. All artists have their advantages and shortcomings which is where the whole label comes into play.

Doesn't it make more sense to do it that way ? Especially if you're giving overall critiques at the end of the judging anyways ?

Hell yea, I been trying to do it in the format Goldies used but that shit taking forever! I think ill go back to the old format tomorrow because it is a lot quicker.

Album covers-

Hustle Town- 11
Sion- 22

Sion just dominated this category. Hustle, Rhi Rhi is a bad bitch and sex sells and she's no where on the cover. If I was walking through the cd section I would have not giving that a second glance. As far as Wiz and Currency I felt like I was about to listen to Papa Smurf drop a hot 16

Tracklists

Hustle- 20
Sion- 21

You both had dope track lists, Sion just edges this out

Sales

Hustle- 18
Sion- 22

Sion edges this one out too, dropping Nas two times and then the massive sales that Em generates along with Cole makes up for Gunn and Kritt low sales. As for Hustle Currency, Wiz and Nerd don't move units even though I gave Rihanna, Taylor and Wayne high scores.

Critical Acclaim

Hustle- 19
Sion- 17

Hustle using Rhianna and Taylor was the deciding factor here.

Hustle = 68
Sion = 82

Sion's album covers clearly won this for him, everything else they were pretty neck and neck

Last edited:
Ima keep using the same system, it's more precise. But the other judges are free to use their own.

My only gripe is it's not looking at the whole label. Just a handful. Only 4 of my projects you rated.

Lastly with critical acclaim iuno fam Taylor Swift is critically panned so is 21 Savage how is she more critically acclaimed than NaS or Common ? If we going by awards won, Drake sweeps the billboard awards but he's not more acclaimed than say The Roots or something. Also Wayne and Young Thug dont like each other so how is it more cohesive ? That had me wild confused fam. My label has artists actually signed to each other or have worked together a lot. That's all I'm saying @Goldie don't ban me bro !!

Didn't I give Krit a 3? I count both album reviews and awards. Can't give Krit a 5 for critical acclaim and he's never won an award, I don't even think he's been nominated for shit. 3 seems reasonable.

5 of your albums were counted. In the next round your next 5 albums will be counted. The labels who advance to the next round can not use the same albums from the previous round.

Fam I'm cool with the other stuff I'm just being dramatic lmao but isn't the bold too harsh ?

Fam I'm not trying to be a pain in the ass that's not even my nature lololol, I'm going by how we used to play it. I know you prolly wanna whoop my ass right now lmaoooo

Lol nah it's cool. Just trying to switch it up alil bit.

Yall have mad artists, i think 10 albums is a fair amount. But if yall wanna use the same albums we can do it like that.

Bet...

1. Potential Sales

This one is actually pretty tough. Sion has Eminem (who based on our last convo I dont think Em's sales in 2017-2018 are shit. Revival's poor quality hurt him this time around) and Cole reallly.... While Hustle has Rihanna, Kate Perry, Adele, Taylor Swift. yeh this guy has sales cows out here.

Winner: Hustle

2. Critical Acclaim

This one was a wash out. Sion's label was essentially built for this category.

Winner: Sion

3. Cohesion

Ill Will records feels like a well-established label where many legendary vets and the "new legends" decided to come together and just make a straight hip-hop conglomerate. In a way its like Mass Appeal on steroids. Theres a good 6 degree of separation here. While Hustle's label seems like a fan voted major label all-star team that randomly has Spitta.

4. Cover Art: LOL sorry man the only other person then myself who kills this shit is Sion and unless he's going against me, nobody will come close here.

5. Longevity
With Nas, Cole, Em ( again to an extent) Premo, Run the Jewels, Krit, etc.... the mix of vets and youngins who primarily make critically acclaimed projects they are built to last even if their sales decline a bit. The long game for Hustle isn't as heavy as it is for Sion.

Overall: SION

Cover Art:
Sion-24 critique: As expected really dope work on tha covers...I could actually see each artist using these as covers irl

Hustle-16. critique: Tha “artistry “ is really dope but I think you missed tha mark not putting Rihanna sexy ass on tha cover as well as not putting N.E.R.D.S. group name or actually album title on tha cover...tha Taylr Swift cover is flames tho...Wayne nice and I can def see Wiz n Curren$y using tha weed influenced crazy colors cover

Tracklistings:
Sion-20 critique: Really nice ft and production selections for each release. I can see some good music coming from each album...Em has a strong track listing with some usual suspects helping out and some unexpected crashes like Schoolboy n K Dot

Hustle-18 critique: having a very “eclectic “ 1st quarter roll out is ambitious af and I like Rihanna, Taylor and Wiz & Curr tracklistings but I’m not too sure about some of tha Wayne production choices (No Id) and fts (Jill Scott) as well as that NERDS tracklisting...they could be hit or miss to me

Sales:
Sion-15 critique: Even though I feel like KRIT and Wlae would enjoy more sales with tha fts and production on this label they still would under sell traditional mainstream artists...Nas would so pretty good numbers but tha big numbers would still come from Em and Cole, both going plat

Hustle-19. critique: Rihanna and Taylor Swift going multiplat no questions...I think Wayne coming back out will give him a really good showing in tha sales dept...NERDS will be middle of tha road thanks to Cac dollars solely but Curren$y and Wiz will be lucky to do good numbers...but they’ll sell a shit load of weed merch lol

Critical Acclaim:
Sion-18 critique: KRIT and Wale would get great reviews from fans and purists and get good reviews from media as usual...Nas going back to Premier beats and a less Wyoming sound will get big reviews from fans and tha media...Cole would as well but I think by now Em can’t do anything right in tha minds of anybody who’s not an Em Stan and tha Trump administration world of media

Hustle-19. critique: Again Rihanna and Taylr Swiftvwill be your saving graces...both being loved by fans and critics alike...Wiz and Curr will have their lane and do well for tha fans but media will just chalk it up as stoner rap and not payvto much attention to it...NERDS will be loved by critics and not understood by “urban fans” and I think Wayne will make a point to show tha younger fans and critics that he really is tha father of a lot of these new rappers and receive good reviews

Longevity:

Sion-18 critique: I think with these groups of MC’s Wale and KRIT would be stamping their place in music adding to their longevity, Nas won’t do anything to hurt his career and would still be dropping albums every couple of years, Cole is gonna be around for tha long haul but I think Em is one lackluster album away from retiring...hope it’s not due to this album lol

Hustle-19. critique: Riri and TS not going anywhere anytime soon, Wiz and Curr gonna tour and sell weed merch until it’s legal in every state, they’re not going anywhere, with a good showing Wayne will find his groove again at least for a few years but NERDS not sure if they still a group or not after this release

Totals:
Sion-95
Hustle-91

Good shit from both af y’all but Sion’s cover art proved to be tha difference...Sion wit tha “W”

Sales - I had to go with Hustle Hard Records in this category. Theres really nothin I can say here that Iceberg hasn't said already. Whenever I saw some of the artist that Hustle picked up in the draft I knew right away that this label was gone be a force to be reckoned with in this category. Adele hasn't dropped a project in a couple of years but if she were to drop one today im sure that it'd move major units just like her others. Then you factor in Taylor Swift, Rihanna, Katy Perry and its a wrap. Unfortunately I don't see any of the artist on Ill Will being able put up those kind of numbers today.

Critical Acclaim - Ill Will Records takes this one. Majority of the artist here have been known to recieve high praises when dropping albums. Hustle Hard have some artist who would definitely shine in this category but at the end of the day I think Ill Will still has more.

Cohesion - Ill Will Records. @Sion has a very well put together label and all of his artist mesh well together. While Hustle Hards roster is just a big melting pot of different artist. Its a smart move that can either help you or hurt you in this game and in this one match up particularly I feel like it hurt you. Had you gone up against one of the other labels then who knows? You may of snagged this one.

Cover Art - Ill Will Records all day nigga!!! Do I even need to go into this?! @Sion has always been a force to be reckoned with when it comes to this category and I honestly dont think anybody fucking with him here. Hustle sometimes less is more bruh, I'd say dumb down on some of the filters because it seems like you just packing them on in some of your covers. I think you were on to something with the Wayne joint but that shit looks more like a post card than an album cover, the font along with its placement also does you no favors and what happened to the rest of his name? I like the N.E.R.D cover. The Taylor Swift Cover has potential. That Wiz and Curren$y joint though, you need to throw that shit in the trash. Same with the Rihanna joint. I'm just gonna chalk those up as you being pressed for time.

Longevity - I actually had a hard time calling this one but I'm edging it to Ill Will Records also.

WINNER - @Sion Ill Will Records

New albums

Cant use the same solo artist as solo records either

Back