Welcome To aBlackWeb

Confederate Terrorist Statue On UNC Campus Toppled By Protesters

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/confederate-statue-on-unc-campus-toppled-by-protesters

CHAPEL HILL, N.C. (AP) — A Confederate statue in the heart of North Carolina’s flagship university was toppled Monday night during a rally by hundreds of protesters who decried the memorial known as “Silent Sam” as a symbol of racist heritage.

The crowd gathered across the street from the University of North Carolina Chapel Hill plaza for a series of speakers at 7 p.m. before heading over to the quadrangle. Then, about two hours into the protest, a group surrounded the statue and pulled it down, according to television footage. Once it was on the ground, demonstrators kicked it and cheered.

A half-hour after it was pulled down, a crowd of dozens remained standing around the empty pedestal. The crowd chanted “Tar Heels!” and “Whose Campus? Our Campus!”

Cars honked as they passed nearby on the college town’s main drag.

Many students, faculty and alumni have called the statue a racist image and asked officials to remove it, though some argued it was a tribute to fallen ancestors. UNC leaders including Chancellor Carol Folt had previously said state law prevented the school from removing the statue.

Word that the statue had fallen drew curious students out.

“I heard the statue had come down, so I had to see it myself,” said freshman Manuel Ricardo, who arrived after the statue was on the ground.

The site of the empty pedestal “is pretty breathtaking,” said Ricardo, who’s African American. “I think most people here are happy. I’m ecstatic.”

Shortly after 10 p.m., a dozen officers were surrounding the fallen statue, which was eventually covered with a tarp next to its empty pedestal.

Junior Ian Goodson said he came out after he heard the statue fell because he wanted to see history.

“It’s a significant event for UNC,” he said.

He said that while he doesn’t agree with what the Confederacy stood for, he understands that some saw the statue as an important memorial.

Asked whether he’s glad the statue came down, he said: “I was always kind of torn.”

North Carolina, which ranks among the handful of Southern states with the most Confederate monuments, has been a focal point in the national debate over them following a deadly white nationalist protest a year ago in Charlottesville, Virginia.

Protests over the UNC statue erected in 1913 have flared in the past year, and another Confederate monument in nearby Durham was torn down shortly after the Virginia protest.

Gov. Roy Cooper had called for removing Silent Sam and other rebel symbols on public land. A state historic panel is set to meet this week to debate Cooper’s request to remove other Confederate monuments at the state Capitol.

Still the Democratic governor issued a statement on Twitter Monday night arguing the protesters took the wrong approach to removing the statue.

“The Governor understands that many people are frustrated by the pace of change and he shares their frustration, but violent destruction of public property has no place in our communities,” said the tweet from his official account.

The university echoed the sentiment in a statement issued after the statue came down.

“Tonight’s actions were dangerous, and we are very fortunate that no one was injured.

We are investigating the vandalism and assessing the full extent of the damage,” the university said in a tweet.

AP18233097446205-804x453@2x.jpg

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entr...-three-percenters_us_5b807e7be4b072951512ee47

Chapel Hill Police Officer With Anti-Government Militia Tattoo Will Keep His Job

The North Carolina officer’s Three Percenters tattoo was visible as he stood guard near the “Silent Sam” Confederate memorial.

The Chapel Hill Police Department will not discipline a police officer who stood guard near the “Silent Sam” Confederate statue at the University of North Carolina on Monday with a tattoo of the logo of the Three Percenters, a nativist anti-government militia, visible on his right forearm. Instead, the officer, Cole Daniels, has been instructed to keep his tattoo covered while at work.

“We understand the concerns regarding the negative interpretations of the tattoo and regret it was displayed. This will not occur again,” Chapel Hill Police Chief Chris Blue said in a statement.

Durham-based social documentary photographer Daniel Hosterman had noticed Daniels’ tattoo at a previous rally, but on Monday he was finally able to get a good picture. The Three Percenters, Hosterman noted when he posted the picture online, have provided security to openly racist groups who marched in Charlottesville, Virginia, last year and at several Patriot Prayer rallies in the Pacific Northwest.

The image of a law enforcement official displaying a symbol associated with racially motivated violence while policing protesters as they toppled a symbol of white supremacy was jarring. According to the police chief, Daniels “expressed regret that his tattoo has been associated with groups that perpetuate hatred and violence.” The police department did not respond when asked for clarification on how Daniels interprets his tattoo.

The Chapel Hill Police Department has been aware of Daniels’ tattoo since at least the beginning of this year. In February, Blue left a voicemail for Megan Squire, a computer scientist who tracks far-right extremists, explaining that he had seen a slide from a presentation she gave at UNC that included a different photograph of Daniels and his tattoo.

Squire, who was facing death threats because of a news article about her work, didn’t call the police chief back, she wrote in an email. The Chapel Hill Police Department did not respond to a request for comment about why Blue reached out to Squire.

The Three Percenters, which was formed in 2008, derive their name from the disputed claim that just 3 percent of Colonists took up arms and fought against the British in the 18th century. “Today we recognize with this 3% in being that we will be the last defense to protect the citizens of the United States if there ever comes a day when our government takes up arms against the American people,” the group states on its website.

But the group is becoming increasingly known for acts of violence, apparently motivated by a combination of racism and a belief in conspiracy theories. Three Percenter member John Martin Roos was arrested in April 2016 after compiling pipe bombs and threatening to kill President Barack Obama, whom Roos believed was a secret Muslim. Two months later, a Texas-based Muslim activist, Omair Siddiqi, was almost run off the road by a man with a Three Percenter bumper sticker on his truck. “Take your rag ass back to your country,” the driver screamed, according to Siddiqi, an American. “I’m gonna fucking kill you.”

In March of this year, three men were charged with bombing a mosque in Minnesota with the goal of scaring Muslims out of living in the U.S. Michael B. Hari, one of the suspects, is a former sheriff’s deputy and the head of a group called the White Rabbit Three Percent Illinois Patriot Freedom Fighters Militia. The group’s website refers to Illinois as a “failed republic” and calls for an armed rebellion against the state.

Race soldier privilege...

https://www.thedailybeast.com/unc-toppled-silent-sam-confederate-statue-will-be-reinstalled

UNC Board of Governors Member: Toppled ‘Silent Sam’ Confederate Statue Will Be Reinstalled

Three people have been charged in connection to the “Silent Sam” Confederate statue that was toppled Monday on the University of North Carolina’s campus. The three individuals are reportedly “not affiliated with UNC-Chapel Hill” and will face “charges of riot and defacing a public monument,” WGHP reports. Meanwhile, a member of the UNC System Board of Governors said the statue would be reinstalled within 90 days. Thom Goolsby, a member of the board, posted on Twitter Thursday saying that the statue of the Confederate solider will return to campus “as required by state law,” WNCN reports. “Criminals who destroyed state property at UNC and police who did nothing will be held accountable,” Goolsby wrote. In a YouTube video, Goolsby said that the school “will make sure the laws of our state are enforced... We will not allow anarchy to reign on our campuses.” Goolsby is referring to a 2015 law that states an “object of remembrance” can only be moved for restoration or for “construction, renovation, or reconfiguration of buildings, open spaces, parking, or transportation projects.” On Thursday, the state’s historical commission also reportedly “voted to keep Confederate monuments on the North Carolina Capitol grounds.”

SMH...

I find it ironic a lot of the racial discourse online and at protests like this are mostly white liberals vs white conservatives

I like that they pointed out how many of those monuments to the confederacy are located in North Carolina. Where I’m located currently there is a ton.

I don’t agree with the statues being up but taking them down this way isn’t a good way to go about things. What’s to stop people from trying to justify defacing monuments praising important minorities? I mean we just had a thread about deplorable fucks defacing Emmet Till’s monument.

I do love the fact that when events like this happen the closet bigots and racist show their face though. It’s always good to know you’re enemy

Last edited:
They mad as hell about this shit too.

Yall should see my facebook timeline

Back