Welcome To aBlackWeb

Compare the artist from the person: Vol 1 - Jay-Z

Mister B.

The Devil’s Greatest Advocate…..
i want to start a series where we can look at an artist both in their work and as a person outside of the booth/stage.

So, for Volume 1, I choose Hov.

Artist - Obviously, Jay is Top 5 DOA, a master emcee and wordsmith. Jay has created trends and has transitioned into one of the gate keepers of hip-hop in his later stages.

Person - Without saying we "know" them, based on his demeanor, it just disappoints me that it took him way too long to get socially active, for reasons other than to brag on wax about helping others.

I think this tweet I read kinda some it up:

....thoughts. how do you look at Jay as an artist and a person?

I disagree with the tweet 100%.

I’ll explain why after this battle event.

OK....first
Jay didn't own the nets.
The Barclay's was coming either way.
Jay does a lot of shit...he does it thru other avenues....like when he was bailing out people.

I like the premise of the thread.
I wanted to do something similar so those that do do things can get recognized for it.

I want to do it because of tweets just like that.
Niggas quick to shit on people but the moment you say you helped the hood...niggas hate on some " you want a pat on the back?"

Man honestly.....niggas so hurt, they hurt themselves more because niggas don't know when to shut up. Then too lazy to research what they think they mad about.

Silence is what's needed by some.....
More effort is what's needed by others....
And everyone needs to stand up and stand in their position.
We all got a place and a job.
Can't call people out and shit on them when they helped or could do more.

Last edited:
And this comparing people to nipsey has to stop.

If you ain't doing anything to help.....shut the hell up.
Be thankful he was trying.
Or it that too much to ask?

To be fair, everybody isn't smart.

There's a lot of people that are good at rapping and are passionate about doing shows and making good music, but they don't have the business acumen to uplift the community.

I dont understand all the Jay hype & i probably never will. W/e minor shit he does, people act like he parted oceans and lead slaves to freedom, but if another famous rapper did the same, at most people going to say "cool" & give a few golf claps. The shit i've seen him do should be saluted, but yall taking it too far calling him "The Goat" for that shit. In his 40's he mentions how he should invest on like one album, next i gotta hear hes The Goat for teaching black youth to invest and how inspiring he is. Like come the fuck on, they clearly pandering to get an invite somewhere.

That tweet def off. Jay sorta helped gentrify BK, but at the same time not really because its not like he owned a massive amount of real estate there then developed it. So that was a reach. And when I say helped, I mean from when he got black people to support that Russian get his stadium built by having you niggas think he was a real owner in exchange for his club being opened in the stadium. Shit stirred up a frenzy of "we need to support our own, Jay owns The Nets he's the goat" which shot up sales and support for someone elses team.

I feel everything he does is a finesse for his pockets and secondly his image. I just dont know what he truly stands for other than making money & thats sad seeing that hes almost 50.

Only thing i can really say i supported him doing was stop drinking Cris after they said they didnt want rappers drinking their shit.

good thread, but i think this should be moved out into the news section

my TL was on FIRE this weekend b/c of this shit

i just dont understand the need for people to just tear down every single black person by labeling them opportunistic and a black capitalist

One thing about Jay, Puff and 50. They started their own alcohol business.

Some people might say, "alcohol is bad for the community!" but the thing is, if people are going to drink, they might as well buy it from a brother instead of a white man, or worse, a jew.

We need to keep our money in the community. That means we need to have our own tobacco companies too. Think of how many times you spent $1 on a blunt. Then multiply that by the amount of Black (and Latino) people that smoke weed.

It's a shame there's no Black owned companies that manufacture blunts.

58549630_2379561362273547_2977461772732071936_n.jpg

OK....first
Jay didn't own the nets.
The Barclay's was coming either way.
Jay does a lot of shit...he does it thru other avenues....like when he was bailing out people.

I like the premise of the thread.
I wanted to do something similar so those that do do things can get recognized for it.

I want to do it because of tweets just like that.
Niggas quick to shit on people but the moment you say you helped the hood...niggas hate on some " you want a pat on the back?"

Man honestly.....niggas so hurt, they hurt themselves more because niggas don't know when to shut up. Then too lazy to research what they think they mad about.

Silence is what's needed by some.....
More effort is what's needed by others....
And everyone needs to stand up and stand in their position.
We all got a place and a job.
Can't call people out and shit in them when they helped or could do more.

6109018c1546803b50cddf24bbf8f988.gif

Twitter is full of fuckin idiots. Jay owns a fraction of a fraction of 1% of the barclays, how DF do you think he has the control to decide where the shit is located?

Twitter is full of fuckin idiots. Jay owns a fraction of a fraction of 1% of the barclays, how DF do you think he has the control to decide where the shit is located?
the ONLY point i can think they were trying to make was the fact that he associated himself with it

but to your point, yea, his 1% aint moved no needles

twitter is a strange place which is why i hate trying to have full fledged convos with people using 280 characters
Just go to a message board for crying out loud

But to answer the OP

Artist: 2nd greatest rapper of alltime/ best rapper alive.

Person: Hov has opened many doors and raised the ceiling for the culture in a multitude of ways. He's been showing us for over 20 years how to play the game the right way. He's not much of a speaker, but there's a lot of lessons to be learned if you study his moves.

"ill show you how to move in room full of vultures" - Hov

Aside from all of the things we've heard he's done for the community (giving over a mill after katrina, the many scholarships from his foundations, etc) , he's one of the niggas who doesn't like to speak on the shit he's done, which is probably why that Nipsey donation thing was said to be "false" tho it probably wasn't.

"The greatest form of giving is anonymous to anonymous " - Hov

Back