Welcome To aBlackWeb

Commit Double Homicide and Represent Yourself smh

A murder suspect accused of stabbing and setting fire to his son cross-examined the 11-year-old in court

Michelle Mark
Thu, June 17, 2021, 5:00 PM

1624055077307.png

• A Florida judge allowed a murder suspect to represent himself at trial and cross-examine witnesses.
  • Ronnie Oneal III is charged with killing his girfriend and daughter and nearly killing his son.
  • The young boy testified against his father on Wednesday, saying, "You stabbed me."
  • Visit Insider's homepage for more stories.
A murder suspect accused of shooting his girlfriend, axing his 9-year-old daughter in the head, then stabbing and lighting his son on fire cross-examined the 11-year-old survivor Wednesday in a jaw-dropping courtroom scene.

In the televised cross-examination, Ronnie Oneal III, who has been representing himself at trial, at one point asked his son, "Did I hurt you the night of this incident?"

The boy, who attended the hearing virtually from a child victim resource center, responded, "Yes. You stabbed me."

Oneal is charged with two counts of first-degree murder and one count of attempted murder in connection to the 2018 incident just south of Tampa, Florida. He has pleaded not guilty to all charges, told jurors his son witnessed nothing, and accused police of coaxing the boy into accusing him.

Oneal previously gave a fiery, emotional opening statement, pacing around the courtroom and shouting out accusations of evidence-tampering.

"We are under some of the most vicious, lying, fabricating, fictitious government you ever seen," he said. "By the time it's all said and done, you will see who is the mass murderers in Tampa Bay."

Defendants have a right to represent themselves - but experts say they probably shouldn't
Legal experts suggest Oneal's cross examination will backfire. Many people try to defend themselves in court, but they typically do it in civil or misdemeanor cases, not murder trials.

One notable exception was the serial killer Ted Bundy, who confidently represented himself at trial but was convicted. He later confessed to some 30 murders before his 1989 execution.

Defense attorney J. Wyndal Gordon served as standby counsel for the convicted "DC Sniper" John Allen Muhammad, who famously represented himself on six murder charges in 2006. He said some criminal defendants, such as Muhammad, often feel a sense of empowerment and equality by taking charge of their own cases.

"Don't get me wrong - I don't recommend it," Gordon said. "It's not a great idea."

Jona Goldschmidt of Loyola University Chicago told Insider that the challenges defendants face against experienced prosecutors are often insurmountable, and judges will often let them "crash and burn" without assisting.

He added that there's little data available on how common self-representation is among criminal defendants in state court, let alone how successful they are when they choose to forgo lawyers. But limited data on federal cases shows that self-represented defendants are much more likely to be found guilty at trial.

"Especially in a complex case, the chances of them doing well are slim to none," Goldschmidt said.

A murder suspect accused of stabbing and setting fire to his son cross-examined the 11-year-old in court

Michelle Mark
Thu, June 17, 2021, 5:00 PM

View attachment 564451

• A Florida judge allowed a murder suspect to represent himself at trial and cross-examine witnesses.
  • Ronnie Oneal III is charged with killing his girfriend and daughter and nearly killing his son.
  • The young boy testified against his father on Wednesday, saying, "You stabbed me."
  • Visit Insider's homepage for more stories.
A murder suspect accused of shooting his girlfriend, axing his 9-year-old daughter in the head, then stabbing and lighting his son on fire cross-examined the 11-year-old survivor Wednesday in a jaw-dropping courtroom scene.

In the televised cross-examination, Ronnie Oneal III, who has been representing himself at trial, at one point asked his son, "Did I hurt you the night of this incident?"

The boy, who attended the hearing virtually from a child victim resource center, responded, "Yes. You stabbed me."

Oneal is charged with two counts of first-degree murder and one count of attempted murder in connection to the 2018 incident just south of Tampa, Florida. He has pleaded not guilty to all charges, told jurors his son witnessed nothing, and accused police of coaxing the boy into accusing him.

Oneal previously gave a fiery, emotional opening statement, pacing around the courtroom and shouting out accusations of evidence-tampering.

"We are under some of the most vicious, lying, fabricating, fictitious government you ever seen," he said. "By the time it's all said and done, you will see who is the mass murderers in Tampa Bay."

Defendants have a right to represent themselves - but experts say they probably shouldn't
Legal experts suggest Oneal's cross examination will backfire. Many people try to defend themselves in court, but they typically do it in civil or misdemeanor cases, not murder trials.

One notable exception was the serial killer Ted Bundy, who confidently represented himself at trial but was convicted. He later confessed to some 30 murders before his 1989 execution.

Defense attorney J. Wyndal Gordon served as standby counsel for the convicted "DC Sniper" John Allen Muhammad, who famously represented himself on six murder charges in 2006. He said some criminal defendants, such as Muhammad, often feel a sense of empowerment and equality by taking charge of their own cases.

"Don't get me wrong - I don't recommend it," Gordon said. "It's not a great idea."

Jona Goldschmidt of Loyola University Chicago told Insider that the challenges defendants face against experienced prosecutors are often insurmountable, and judges will often let them "crash and burn" without assisting.

He added that there's little data available on how common self-representation is among criminal defendants in state court, let alone how successful they are when they choose to forgo lawyers. But limited data on federal cases shows that self-represented defendants are much more likely to be found guilty at trial.

"Especially in a complex case, the chances of them doing well are slim to none," Goldschmidt said.

HOW IS THE JUDGE ALLOWING THIS?????

I hate to say this but as soon as I read the thread title and seen the man before listening to him speak I thought,

FLORIDA resident…………

Man who went viral for courtroom defense found guilty of double murder, attempted murder

Biba Adams
Tue, June 22, 2021, 11:03 AM

“I have to tell you,” the judge told Ronnie Oneal III, “in another lifetime, you would have been an excellent lawyer”

Ronnie Oneal III, who went viral for his fiery opening statements in a Florida courtroom while acting as his own defense attorney, has been found guilty of the March 2018 murders of his disabled young daughter, Ron’Niveya Oneal, and her mother, Kenyatta Barron.

Oneal, 32, was also found guilty of the attempted first-degree murder of his son, Ronnie, 11, who took the witness stand against his father, telling him, “You stabbed me,” in his testimony.

“You are ready to believe my son, whose statements are conflicting all of a sudden because he has been adopted by a detective who worked in this case,” Oneal said to the jury in his closing arguments. “He had no business being around him in an open and pending case.”

In the tragic, brutal case, Oneal reportedly wounded Barron with a shotgun, then beat her to death with the weapon. He then reportedly used a hatchet to kill his 9-year-old daughter and attempt to kill his son, who was then 8. He then set the family’s home on fire. The boy survived the incident and testified in court that he witnessed the entire ordeal.

In his closing statements, Oneal admitted to killing Barron, saying, “I want you to know the actual facts,” he told jurors, claiming he did so after she murdered their little girl and tried to slay their son. Then, turning to prosecutors, he said, “I did kill Kenyatta Barron. But I want you to tell it like it is if you are going to tell it.”

Oneal frequently used profanities in his closing statements, earning admonishment from Hillsborough Circuit Judge Michelle Sisco — who also took time to praise him for his self-defense efforts. “I have to tell you,” she told him, “in another lifetime, you would have been an excellent lawyer.”

Prosecutor Ronald Gale told the jury that the case was a very emotional one, and “the evidence and testimony has been by turns gruesome and disturbing and just heartbreaking.”

After finding Oneal guilty of two counts of first-degree murder, one count of attempted first-degree murder, two counts of aggravated child abuse, one count of arson and one count of resisting a law enforcement officer without violence, the jury will reconvene later this week to offer sentencing recommendations. Oneal could be sentenced to life in prison or the death penalty.

“These murders are among the most cruel and vicious our community has ever seen,” Hillsborough State Attorney Andrew Warren told ABC 7. “Sitting in the courtroom with the victims’ family, hearing a mother’s screams, seeing the horrific pictures of her daughter — it’s hard to fathom how someone can do something so barbaric. His punishment — his life — now sits with a jury of his peers, as it should.”

This dumb ass went through all this, traumatized his son by cross examining him and ended up saying he did the killings

Back