Welcome To aBlackWeb

OPINION Colorism or nah? - Keke Palmer vs. Zendaya

Inori

NAWF
saw this on social media... since they like to think piece everything

thoughts?

I mean I thought they both have pretty successful careers and classic roles under their belts. Is one more successful than the other and if so is colorism the reason why?

I'm not a fan of convos like this because it's not fair to either of these talented young ladies. However it does seem as though Zendaya is more mainstream(appealing to white audiences) than Keke.

However I believe that is mostly due to the roles they pick. Just do a quick IMDB and it looks like Keke does mostly black movies while Zendaya's is a little more diverse. That could be due to her having the whole J Lo white passing kinda thing and getting more diverse opportunities, but idk.

With that said I can't see Zendaya playing that keke role in Hustlers nor could I see Keke playing Rue on Euphoria(ehh actually maybe I could now that I think about it)

Last edited:
Colorism has a play in Hollywood casting definitely when it comes to casting biracial ( half Black and half White ) women to play roles that were written for Black women ,Keke is starring in a Number 1 movie in America that is an original IP .

saw this on social media... since they like to think piece everything

thoughts?

I mean I thought they both have pretty successful careers and classic roles under their belts. Is one more successful than the other and if so is colorism the reason why?

I mean I think Keke a lil more known but I ainā€™t grow up looking at Zendeya

_113829841_saldana_ninagrab.jpg

Keke replied to this comparison and shut it down. She has not complained about the roles she has been in. So to me, that means she chose the roles and has no problem getting them. I havent seen a lot of her stuff but I Do recall when Akeela and the Bee came out, she was well received. I think that movie raised her popularity . i will say that im surprised at how much voice acting she has done. I looked at her credits and she has done a lot.

Zendaya has that disney power behind her. For some reason, disney stars seem to always be more popular than Nickelodeon stars. At least to me.

Keke happens to play live action roles that maybe appeal more to blacks. Zendaya has roles that usually attract more whites or a mix crowd depending on if your talking bout dune or spiderman. It would be colorism if keke was being passed over for roles with an actress who may be a lighter skin color but she has not said anything about that.

Last edited:
I don't know what part colorism has played in either career but to me Keke Palmer is the better actress.

I don't think colorism plays a part in the difference between their career paths. I think color does though. Zendaya has played some parts that kinda made sense for a light skinned mixed girl that could be slid into a group of white people without standing out too much. So I think her color benefitted her in that regard, but I don't think there are a whole lot of examples where she was in competition with someone like Keke and was picked soley because of her lighter skin.

I'm not a fan of convos like this because it's not fair to either of these talented young ladies. However it does seem as though Zendaya is more mainstream(appealing to white audiences) than Keke.

However I believe that is mostly due to the roles they pick. Just do a quick IMDB and it looks like Keke does mostly black movies while Zendaya's is a little more diverse. That could be due to her having the whole J Lo white passing kinda thing and getting more diverse opportunities, but idk.

With that said I can't see Zendaya playing that keke role in Hustlers nor could I see Keke playing Rue on Euphoria(ehh actually maybe I could now that I think about it)
"J-lo's white passing..." J-lo is white.

i think it's more about the audiences they appeal to....

i don't watch euphoria and i never cared to watch that movie zendaya had on netflix either........

like zendaya cool in all, but she don't put out shit i watch other than her spiderman shit....

keke tends to be in more movies i like...

but i also understand that my tastes don't always represent the mainstream taste...but i don't feel it's colorism... i just think it about your target audience and the roles you select

i think it's more about the audiences they appeal to....

i don't watch euphoria and i never cared to watch that movie zendaya had on netflix either........

like zendaya cool in all, but she don't put out shit i watch other than her spiderman shit....

keke tends to be in more movies i like...

but i also understand that my tastes don't always represent the mainstream taste...but i don't feel it's colorism... i just think it about your target audience and the roles you select

Actors and actresses can only select the roles they are offered.

I agree with you about target audiences. Some times that is the motivating factor in who is offered to audition for certain roles. Also color plays a role in that as well. These studios know with certain movies the demographic they are targeting. So with that known they also know what that demographic likes and dislikes. That might mean the target audience isn't going to want to see a certain skin tone as the main character or love interest to a certain actor or actress.

I don't think it's always colorism but I think colorism definitely plays a part in role decisions more often than not.

Back