Welcome To aBlackWeb

CHVSE-Grave Robbers

Redman once said

"Switchin' speeds like Bruce Lee ridin' a Fuji in a movie"

Shit sounded sweet, but I didn't give it much thought until one day, years later me and one of my boys was sittin off talkin hip hop, buried references and shit like that. Liquid Swords was the main focal point until dude said something to the effect of "yeah... I was watching some Bruce Lee-knockoff flick the other day and there was a scene in it where the dude was riding a bike and switching speeds on it. It hit me that was the shit Redman was talking about!"

To this day I still haven't seen the scene, but it makes sense.

Liquid Swords had obscure references all through it.

"But with iron on the side thugs took no excuses/therefore your fifty two handblocks was useless"

WHen I first heard it I just though GZA was just referring to some random kung fu shit. It wasn't until about 2001 that I discovered a fighting style known as Jailhouse Rock, aka The 52 Handblocks

So now that line in "Cold World" hits differently now that I know that he was actually referencing something and not just saying some random kung fu-wu shits.

Hip hop is littered with obscure ass references, shit you don't really get until years later.

And now that I just wrote that reply... I just got another obscure reference:

Method Man on "Da Rockwilder"

"Still homes I'm never satisfied like the Stones
We don't condone bitin' see them skull and crossbones"

Which, according to the video I posted, seems to be another reference to the Jailhouse Rock fighting system.

Back