Welcome To aBlackWeb

Chaka Khan: 'Through The Wire' Was Garbage

He made some good songs imo, and when he was hot he was hot, but I don't consider him to be a top tier lyricist.

He reminds me of Q Tip, A Tribe Called Quest made some dope songs and have classic albums, but I don't think of Q Tip as a GOAT MC.

There should be a category for that, somebody that makes dope music but isn't a GOAT.

I don't like to defend CoonYe nowadays but his first five albums are all either classic, close to classic or super influential like 808s. His contributions to other classics like Blueprint and BE, his influence on Lupe and John Legends careers are mad too. He's a legend 100%, even if I haven't liked anything he's done in a while and he's a complete and total idiot

I guess it's a generational thing.

People who were born in, say, 2000 don't remember Biggie or 2Pac. They don't remember prime Wu Tang, they don't remember prime Snoop. They don't even remember when Eminem was in his prime.

So if you turned 13 in 2013 then you're idea of a GOAT or a legend is different than somebody who was born in 1990, or 1980.

I was born in 1973 so I can remember when Grandmaster Flash & The Furious 5, Kurtis Blow and the Sugarhill Gang were the hot new groups that were making groundbreaking music. But having been on this message board for so long, I understand that people a generation younger than me don't appreciate old school Hip Hop the way I do.

Having said that, I can see why somebody who was born in 2000 would consider Kanye to be a GOAT or a legend.

All I'm saying is I never bought a Kanye CD from the store or bootleg. I never rode around the city listening to Kanye. I never saw anybody pull up on the block blasting Kanye shit. Nobody I ever rode in the car with put that nigga shit on.

Nigga ain't no legend to me and that don't mean he trash cause he far from that but legend he ain't IMO.

All I'm saying is I never bought a Kanye CD from the store or bootleg. I never rode around the city listening to Kanye. I never saw anybody pull up on the block blasting Kanye shit. Nobody I ever rode in the car with put that nigga shit on.

Nigga ain't no legend to me and that don't mean he trash cause he far from that but legend he ain't IMO.
Kanye not a legend is not the same as I don't listen to kanye

How is Kanye not a legend smh man. You might not fuck with dude but the impact he had from 2001 to 2010 is undeniable

Brought a new sound as a producer and with his first album. After Blueprint and CD everybody was on that soul sample shit. He produced countless classic songs on classic albums

You could make a case that he came into the game and dropped three straight classics with CD, LR and Graduation

Established another new sound with 808s and paved the way for all the Drakes and Cudis

Mainstream America wanted to get rid of him after the Taylor Swift incident and he came back and dropped a masterpiece in MBDTF and they were all back on his dick nh

Yeah he been kinda off ever since and the last few albums were subpar but his resume is still very strong. Takes a hater to deny that imo

Oh yeah and he called out George Bush on national TV

Last edited:
I'm sure niggas opinions about Ye have nothing to do with music but I digress

He will be hearlded as the Quincy Jones of our generation and thats a fitting title

I'm sure niggas opinions about Ye have nothing to do with music but I digress

He will be hearlded as the Quincy Jones of our generation and thats a fitting title

Kanye West can't hold Quincy Jones' jockstrap.

Quincy Jones isn't just a producer, he's an arranger. That means he sits down with a 40 piece orchestra and decides how the violins, flutes and piccolos should be arranged and in what key. Quincy Jones knows musical theory. In other words he has to know scales and notes and how to read music. I don't know if Kanye West can read music or play an instrument, but if he can't then he's not seeing Quincy Jones with binoculars.

Here's 3 albums that Quincy Jones produced.

Kanye West is good at sampling and has an ear for being able to pick out a sample from a pre-existing record and putting drums behind it. But that's not the same thing as being able to organize musicians and make a song.

Kanye is good great at what he does, but what he does isn't as difficult as what Quincy Jones does.

I'd be willing to bet that Quincy Jones could sample a record and put some drums on top of it, but I doubt Kanye West could produce a 40 piece orchestra.

Meh, I always thought the song was just ok, but why Chaka acting like she didn't know what sampling was before she heard that song. He didn't do anything with her vocals that hadn't been done 100 times before in Hip Hop.

Back