Welcome To aBlackWeb

Cartoon Network drops a PSA on systemic racism in education

grYmes

The price of a brick goin up…

Cartoon Network is being applauded for a new anti-racism PSA. Narrated by Pearl, a character from Steven Universe, the video aims to bring awareness to systemic racism in America’s education system.

“Black inventors, heroes, and leaders are often left out of history,” the network tweeted along with the video. “Ask yourself as you're learning...who is the focus? Why? Question the story.”

The clip begins with Pearl asking her class who invented the lightbulb. When everyone says Thomas Edison, she says that’s “not entirely true.”

“The lightbulb could more rightfully be attributed to Lewis Latimer, the Black inventor behind the filament inside the bulb,” she explains, before going off on the importance of understanding why he invented the filament: “To create a better standard of living for people who had only just been freed from slavery.

“Are we going to ask why kids are apparently learning about Thomas Edison and not learning about Lewis Latimer?” she continues. “These textbooks are incomplete!”

Oh, but Pearl’s not done yet.

“There were Black Roman warriors, Black medieval knights, Black classical musicians, Black cowboys, Black fighter pilots. Where are they? I worry about you humans,” she says. “You rely on these stories to know your own history. Thanks to systemic racism, most of your storytellers prioritized white accomplishments which leaves you with an incomplete picture. Ask yourself as you’re learning history, who is telling the story?” Was this modified to make white readers comfortable? Are major details being left out that would credit people of color and center their point of view?”

Although the video was released last week, it started to go viral on Wednesday. The PSA has been met with a (mostly) positive response online.

The PSA is part of Cartoon Network’s effort to stand “behind anti-racism as part of our commitment to fostering inclusion and equity.”

The same niggas who cannot help themselves to made of Cyborg a clowning Cool Negro now tries to scold other white folks about systemic racism and the censorship of black accomplishment to universal history. ?

FOO.

:huh2:

The same niggas who cannot help themselves to made of Cyborg a clowning Cool Negro now tries to scold other white folks about systemic racism and the censorship of black accomplishment to universal history. ?

FOO.

Im not getting the issue. When they made the second version of teen titans, they made everyone goofy. Even raven. It was to appeal to an even younger audience.

Im not getting the issue. When they made the second version of teen titans, they made everyone goofy. Even raven. It was to appeal to an even younger audience.

There has goofy and there has "Goofy Cool Negro" goofy.

I wouldn't mind a parody cartoon if CN wasn't consistently playing with the racial stereotypes.

There has goofy and there has "Goofy Cool Negro" goofy.

I wouldn't mind a parody cartoon if CN wasn't consistently playing with the racial stereotypes.
Dude, cyborg and beast boy are about the same character. I dont know what shows you are watching but you are going to have to name some. They have all kinds of shows for all/most types of people. If you are looking for serious, then you are watching the wrong channel. They do funny and action.

Dude, cyborg and beast boy are about the same character. I dont know what shows you are watching but you are going to have to name some. They have all kinds of shows for all/most types of people. If you are looking for serious, then you are watching the wrong channel. They do funny and action.

Bruh, if that wasn't an issue, Warner Bros and the DC executives wouldn't being trying to cancel actor Ray Fisher career for years over him calling both them and Joss Whedon out about this iteration of the character and disagreeing as well with playing it -
d knowing that Zack Snyder disagreed with that racist cliché too - in Josstice League.

If it didn't bothered people, Black Mariah would be still a goofy-ass 900-lbs floating island jiving in 1970s Negro momma slang in "Luke Cage" and Blade a British disco cosplayer. Yet, for some reasons people turn oblivious when it comes about every reitered spin-off of 2002 TT anime Cyborg because black folks grew up thinking it was okay being the Cool Negro screaming "Booyah" while white folks grew up thinking it was okay to laugh at us and not with us.

Bruh, if that wasn't an issue, Warner Bros and the DC executives wouldn't being trying to cancel actor Ray Fisher career for years over him calling both them and Joss Whedon out about this iteration of the character and disagreeing as well with playing it -
d knowing that Zack Snyder disagreed with that racist cliché too - in Josstice League.

If it didn't bothered people, Black Mariah would be still a goofy-ass 900-lbs floating island jiving in 1970s Negro momma slang in "Luke Cage" and Blade a British disco cosplayer. Yet, for some reasons people turn oblivious when it comes about every reitered spin-off of 2002 TT anime Cyborg because black folks grew up thinking it was okay being the Cool Negro screaming "Booyah" while white folks grew up thinking it was okay to laugh at us and not with us.

Bruh, I think you reaching quite a bit with this one.

Cartoon network is owned by turner. They turned a lot of their shows from semi serious actions to comedy. They have characters from different shows that act like cyborg (see gumball). They aim at the younger crowd. TT, thunder cats, just to name a few had their formula changed. They have black lead character cartoons (Craig of the creek). You got shows like boondocks and black Jesus. You got shows that is all about gore (super jail). I see they give a variety. You are reaching.

Cartoon network is owned by turner. They turned a lot of their shows from semi serious actions to comedy. They have characters from different shows that act like cyborg (see gumball). They aim at the younger crowd. TT, thunder cats, just to name a few had their formula changed. They have black lead character cartoons (Craig of the creek). You got shows like boondocks and black Jesus. You got shows that is all about gore (super jail). I see they give a variety. You are reaching.

Quote me Craig of The Creek and its tribal comedy setting again...

Quote me Craig of The Creek and its tribal comedy setting again...

Dude, it is just like ed,eddn, and eddy. They have adventures. Craig is not a stereotype. He is portrayed as a leader, helpful and enjoys advance math. Kids in real life do like to pretend and go on adventures in their neighborhoods. What is the issue?

Back