Welcome To aBlackWeb

OPINION Canadian Myst: Ranking Drakes Albums

3. Thank Me Later (2010)

1718490022818.jpeg

I’m gonna keep it a buck when I say I was hype for this album to drop. It’s the only Drake album I ever bought on CD (back when CDs were starting to wind down). His buzz had reached a fever pitch at this point. It felt like he was everywhere as far as features go and his own songs were on everyone’s speakers. When his debut finally dropped I’m not gonna say I was in love with it. It had all the makings of someone who knew they had this talent but was still trying to navigate how to best express it. This album does have some bangers tho that get me in the nostalgia feels. “Over”, “Find Your Love” & “Fancy”.. this album has some hits. Plus the overall vibe of a hungry Drake looking to hit his mark feels like a breath of fresh air after living when him being raps biggest star for a decade. His style was so much different than anyone else we thought could be a major star in rap. Probably the one major misstep to me is the features, which while some are memorable like TI & Swizz Beats on “Fancy”/Jeezy on “Unbelievable”. Others felt mid to major disappointments (Nicki, Wayne & Jay I’m looking at you). Regardless, this album is a major milestone in Drakes career. Both his influence & his success will only get greater from here.

Last edited:
2. Nothing Was The Same (2013)

1718756644529.png

1. Take Care (2011)

1718756740115.jpeg

I decided the do both of these at the same time cuz honestly after revisiting both albums.. they’re a lot closer than I originally thought. Both these albums are enjoyable for the majority. They possess songs that show Drake at his best & most versatile. The production on both of these are top shelf & I give the nod more towards Take Care in that it’s moody vibe resonates with me more. Especially during the time that album came out. Nothing Was The Same felt like Drake still wanted to be brooding, but also wanted to take things in a lighter direction which is fine. The major takeaway is that Drake feels more comfortable & confident in his own abilities since his debut. Take Care feels like an album from a dude 5 albums in as opposed to just two. While Nothing Was The Same is still a good entry to his catalog I just personally prefer Take Care. It’s as close to a classic Drake has ever constructed. Drakes said it himself prior to making it that he felt like he could take his time with it. Nowadays it feels like we get a Drake project every few months which makes me wonder how things would go if he just took a break. Guess when you’re considered THE male name in pop music you don’t get that luxury.

Last edited:
I rank Nothing Was The Same as Drake's finest work. The loosies during the roll-out were amazing, and I wish they made the final cut.

Great read @grYmes

Do Jay-Z next (no Sean John Combs).

I’m saving Jay for a special occasion. Same for other GOAT tier artists like Nas, Wayne, Pac etc. This series is mainly for the under appreciated/divisive artists.

Back