Welcome To aBlackWeb

Boom Baps second golden age

5th Letter

Mod Squad
The 90’s was the first golden age. But we’re currently in a second golden age. What are your thoughts, favorite albums and songs and artists?

The sound evolved into that.

Yeah true... Would maybe say Sean Price, BCC, Term, Royce and Blaq Poet etc were before them but as label/collective they were more of a movement...

I would still say GxFR were more grimey then boombap though... Like we been saying they bought the grimey sound back to hip hop/NY hip hop, not bought back boombap...

Last edited:
1983-84 was Boom Bap's first golden age.

From Run DMC, Whodini, Fat Boys, UTFO and the whole Fresh Fest Tour, Beat Street, Breakin, Krush Groove. Plus there were a gang of documentaries that came out around that era.

It all came together in the mid 80s. (Breakin, Graffiti, DJing and MCing)

Yo! MTV Raps and Rap City came out in 1988

In fact, 2Pac has a song called Old School that came out in 1995 where he names all of the old school 80s rappers that he grew up listening to.

So the 80s was the first golden age.

The 90s was the second golden age

1983-84 was Boom Bap's first golden age.

From Run DMC, Whodini, Fat Boys, UTFO and the whole Fresh Fest Tour, Beat Street, Breakin, Krush Groove. Plus there were a gang of documentaries that came out around that era.

It all came together in the mid 80s. (Breakin, Graffiti, DJing and MCing)

Yo! MTV Raps and Rap City came out in 1988

In fact, 2Pac has a song called Old School that came out in 1995 where he names all of the old school 80s rappers that he grew up listening to.

So the 80s was the first golden age.

The 90s was the second golden age
Run DMC, Whoodini and Fat Boys are “boom bap”? 🤔

Run DMC, Whoodini and Fat Boys are “boom bap”? 🤔

@5th Letter either we have a language barrier, or you need to have your Moderator status demoted.

When Sucker MCs came out in 1983 its was one of the first rap songs to feature rapping over a drumbeat and nothing else, just beats and rhymes. I went to summer camp in the summer of 1984, about a year after Sucker MCs came out. By that point the album had dropped. I was 9 years old. Everybody, and I mean everybody knew every word to Sucker MCs word for word. Run DMC was a phenomenon that had never happened in Hip Hop before.

You should know that.

Last edited:
@5th Letter either we have a language barrier, or you need to have your Moderator status demoted.

When Sucker MCs came out in 1983 its was one of the first rap songs to feature rapping over a drumbeat and nothing else, just beats and rhymes. I went to summer camp in the summer of 1984, about a year after Sucker MCs came out. By that point the album had dropped. I was 9 years old. Everybody, and I mean everybody knew every word to Sucker MCs word for word. Run DMC was a phenomenon that had never happened in Hip Hop before.

You should know that.

🤔 you’re arguing a different point.

🤔 you’re arguing a different point.

The O/P states, "The 90’s was the first golden age. But we’re currently in a second golden age. What are your thoughts, favorite albums and songs and artists?"

What point are you arguing and what point do you think I'm arguing?

I'm arguing that The 90s was NOT the first golden age.

What point are you arguing?

The O/P states, "The 90’s was the first golden age. But we’re currently in a second golden age. What are your thoughts, favorite albums and songs and artists?"

What point are you arguing and what point do you think I'm arguing?

I'm arguing that The 90s was NOT the first golden age.

What point are you arguing?
BOOM BAP. I don’t equate 80’s as boom bap.

Define Boom Bap
A particular sound primarily by a certain kind of drum pattern. The term existed in the 80’s but it wasn’t until the late 80’s to early to mid 90’s where the term and sub genre was popularized. That’s why I identify boom bap as more 90’s than 80’s.

Well I posted songs by Run DMC, Fat Boys and Whodini that came out in the mid 80s.

As far as "sub genres" there were no sub genres in the 80s. All Rap Music came out of NYC and had a similar sound. It wasn't until The West Coast and South came out in the 90s that there were sub genres.

But if you're saying that Run DMC, Eric B and Rakim and Boogie Down Productions didn't have a Boom Bap style then you are crazy.

How was the 90s the first golden age?

What about the 80s?

I lived through the 80s.
Do you consider the music back then boom bap? I consider "boom bap" (I HATE these subgenres) to be multi layered chopped up jazz/funk/rock samples over heavy lo fi acoustic drums. I felt like the 80s was a mix of current music and whatever Bambatta was doing. Marley Marl and Prince Paul laid the groundwork but still had that 80s feel.

Do you consider the music back then boom bap? I consider "boom bap" (I HATE these subgenres) to be multi layered chopped up jazz/funk/rock samples over heavy lo fi acoustic drums. I felt like the 80s was a mix of current music and whatever Bambatta was doing. Marley Marl and Prince Paul laid the groundwork but still had that 80s feel.
You had to be there.

I could post a bunch of mp3s to support my argument but nobody would listen to them so what's the point?

You had to be there.

I could post a bunch of mp3s to support my argument but nobody would listen to them so what's the point?
I mean, I'll take your word for it. Feel free to post examples, I need to refresh my hip hop knowledge anyway.

Sidebar: I didn't read your last post. BDP, particularly KRS One's production had reggae and dancehall roots. That rhythm was natural to him, but not everyone sounded like that. Most of them were using that sample Impeach The President snare Marley already used, whom I mentioned. They were definitely the prototype to what boom bap would be, but the music had different functions. Again, KRS is one of the few that sounded like that... everyone else made dance music. Filling the percussion space with 16th 808 hi hat notes, 808 drums behind the kicks and the sample merely being the backdrop to the groove enhanced the rhythm you were dancing to (Peter Piper for example). Pete Rock, the direct descendant of Marley Marl, put emphasis on the sample and made the drums hit harder without the 808s. When the MPCs and other samplers with longer sample time came around, there was more space to play with melody and drums. I always considered boom bap music you walk to on your way to a fight. It's like the difference between "crunk" and "trap". It's all southern music to the untrained ear, but functionally they move the crowds differently.

Back