Welcome To aBlackWeb

Black Thought's Favorite Verse

In My Personal Top 5 Verses Of All Time

Its Crazy That Shit Came Out In 88-89

This Shit Is Still Ahead Of Its Time

Kool Genius Of Rap Is Still One Of Most Influential Dudes In Rap PERIOD

Yeah I remember a few years back I was hanging out with some teenagers that were about 10-15 years younger than me. They said when they were kids they used to watch the Kid N Play cartoon and the MC Hammer cartoon, so that's how old they were. Now that I think about it, it was about 10 years ago.

Anyway, we were talking about who was the first person, or the first song to rap about street life. And this is what I told them;

The Message - Grandmaster Flash & the F5 (1982)
8 Million Stories - Kurtis Blow feat Run DMC (1984)
Girl (That's Your Life) - Too $hort (1985)
Gucci Time/PSK - Schooly D (although that song isn't really about street life, he just uses a lot of cuss words) (1985)
6 in the Mornin - Ice T (1986)
Dopeman - NWA (1988)
Boys In The Hood Remix - Eazy E (1988)
9mm Goes Bang - Boogie Down Productions (1987)
Road To The Riches - Kool G Rap & DJ Polo (1988)
Colors - Ice T (1988)
Soul On Ice - Ice T (1988)

If you can think of any other songs that rap about that life, add on

G Rap is always in the cliche 'your favourite rappers, favourite rapper' top5 rappers or DOA list, yet so many people still leave him off their lists...

thats not a surpise, kool g rap is not charismatic enough for the average fan. rappers that rate him are looking solely at his rap skills. fans dont look solely at skills, they look at a bunch of other shit.

thats not a surpise, kool g rap is not charismatic enough for the average fan. rappers that rate him are looking solely at his rap skills. fans dont look solely at skills, they look at a bunch of other shit.

Actual rap fans should care about the quality of the music too though, not how charismatic he is...

Actual rap fans should care about the quality of the music too though, not how charismatic he is...

you talking about how you wish things were in an ideal world. i'm telling you how things actually are. people take into account charisma when they are picking their top 5. maybe YOU don't but most people do.

when ppl talk about the best basketball players, true hardcore basketball fans still say jordan kobe bron magic bird, etc
very few ppl say kareem abdul jabbar or tim duncan, even though they should be right there as well
its because of marketing, publicity, all that other shit

you may not like it, but thats the way it is

kool g rap scores a zero in all the other shit outside of actual rapping

Yeah I remember a few years back I was hanging out with some teenagers that were about 10-15 years younger than me. They said when they were kids they used to watch the Kid N Play cartoon and the MC Hammer cartoon, so that's how old they were. Now that I think about it, it was about 10 years ago.

You're telling me you've never hung out with somebody 10 years older, or 10 years younger than you?

no i haven't hung out with teenagers, not in my family, since i have been 30 or older
but do you if it makes you happy.

no i haven't hung out with teenagers, not in my family, since i have been 30 or older
but do you if it makes you happy.

You should try hanging out with people of different age groups for 2 reasons;

1. When you hang out with people younger than you, they can help you put things into perspective coming from another generation. Also, you can give them advice. I get my inspiration from the youth.

2. Older people are wise. They've gone through what you're going through and can give you advice, if you're smart enough to listen to them.

1. When you hang out with people younger than you, they can help you put things into perspective coming from another generation. Also, you can give them advice. I get my inspiration from the youth.

2. Older people are wise. They've gone through what you're going through and can give you advice, if you're smart enough to listen to them.

stop trying to son me bro. like i said if you wanna hang out with teenagers do you.
all the other shit you talking has nothing to do with what i said, stop trying to expand this shit into something else. i dont kick it with teenagers, if thats your thing, enjoy.

you talking about how you wish things were in an ideal world. i'm telling you how things actually are. people take into account charisma when they are picking their top 5. maybe YOU don't but most people do.

when ppl talk about the best basketball players, true hardcore basketball fans still say jordan kobe bron magic bird, etc
very few ppl say kareem abdul jabbar or tim duncan, even though they should be right there as well
its because of marketing, publicity, all that other shit

you may not like it, but thats the way it is

kool g rap scores a zero in all the other shit outside of actual rapping

People dont rate there top MCs based purely on charisma, and he you rate him a zero??? So he didnt usher in a new genre of hip hop, birth a flow and influence a ton other great rappers??? Doesnt have classic albums??? Hasnt spanned decades in genre that most rappers only have a few year run in??? I could go on, like how he collabs with mainstream and underground rappers...

People dont rate there top MCs based purely on charisma, and he you rate him a zero??? So he didnt usher in a new genre of hip hop, birth a flow and influence a ton other great rappers??? Doesnt have classic albums??? Hasnt spanned decades in genre that most rappers only have a few year run in??? I could go on, like how he collabs with mainstream and underground rappers...

I'm not finna go back and forth with you when you are purposefully misrepresenting what I'm saying. I love kool g rap. I grew up to kool g rap. I'm not giving you my thoughts on kool g raps abilities. They are impeccable.

You said rappers themselves rate him high, yet many rap fans don't have them in their own top 5. Then you asked how can this be.

I told you why this happens. It happens because most rap fans rate based on a number of factors, one factor is charisma. He has no charisma, so many people don't rate him up there.

The fact people don't have him in their personal top 5, generally, is a fact. This is the fact you stated yourself to start this whole tangent. We are taking the assumption that many rap fans don't have him in their top 5. I assume you think that's true, because you yourself asked why it's like that.

I gave you an answer for why i think it's like that. Then you get mad at me as if i told you you had three heads.

If my answer doesn't suffice and you think you have a good reason for why kool g rap isn't in more fans top fives, then why don't you give it.

Tell me why more ppl don't have him in their top fives? Because i agree with you, he should be in more top fives, so why isn't he?

And don't say anything about him not being as popular or marketable or anything like that because that falls under the rubric of charisma, which you seem to think is NOT remotely part of the reason more people don't have him in their top fives.

I'm not finna go back and forth with you when you are purposefully misrepresenting what I'm saying. I love kool g rap. I grew up to kool g rap. I'm not giving you my thoughts on kool g raps abilities. They are impeccable.

You said rappers themselves rate him high, yet many rap fans don't have them in their own top 5. Then you asked how can this be.

I told you why this happens. It happens because most rap fans rate based on a number of factors, one factor is charisma. He has no charisma, so many people don't rate him up there.

The fact people don't have him in their personal top 5, generally, is a fact. This is the fact you stated yourself to start this whole tangent. We are taking the assumption that many rap fans don't have him in their top 5. I assume you think that's true, because you yourself asked why it's like that.

I gave you an answer for why i think it's like that. Then you get mad at me as if i told you you had three heads.

If my answer doesn't suffice and you think you have a good reason for why kool g rap isn't in more fans top fives, then why don't you give it.

Tell me why more ppl don't have him in their top fives? Because i agree with you, he should be in more top fives, so why isn't he?

And don't say anything about him not being as popular or marketable or anything like that because that falls under the rubric of charisma, which you seem to think is NOT remotely part of the reason more people don't have him in their top fives.

Top5 DOA's are not just based on a rappers charisma alone, thats crazy... I could see mumble rapper fans maybe basing their Top5 picks solely on that, but Im saying educated hip hop fans often leave him out which is surprising to me, as I know they dont just base their picks off charisma alone and even if charisma was a criteria, which granted it could well be, his input into hip hip is SO deep that should be irrelevant anyway... Also to say G Rap dosnt have charisma is wrong imo, he not flamboyant personality like say Pac but hes not dull... Nas and Jay are hardly extroverts and they are always in peoples Top5...

I think the that fact he just hasnt got a commercial hit record that crosses over to the pop billboard is reason he left out, simply as that... Hes got bucket loads of great songs and hits etc but not really a hit like Nas, Jay or Rakim or BDK have... Rakim have Paid In Full and BDK has 'Half Steppin' songs that cross over and have big commercial success...

Very powerful post.
But niggas to self centered to think like this.

Top5 DOA's are not just based on a rappers charisma alone, thats crazy... I could see mumble rapper fans maybe basing their Top5 picks solely on that, but Im saying educated hip hop fans often leave him out which is surprising to me, as I know they dont just base their picks off charisma alone and even if charisma was a criteria, which granted it could well be, his input into hip hip is SO deep that should be irrelevant anyway... Also to say G Rap dosnt have charisma is wrong imo, he not flamboyant personality like say Pac but hes not dull... Nas and Jay are hardly extroverts and they are always in peoples Top5...

I think the that fact he just hasnt got a commercial hit record that crosses over to the pop billboard is reason he left out, simply as that... Hes got bucket loads of great songs and hits etc but not really a hit like Nas, Jay or Rakim or BDK have... Rakim have Paid In Full and BDK has 'Half Steppin' songs that cross over and have big commercial success...

And why doesn't he have that "commercial hit record that crosses over to the pop billboard"

And yes obviously he has charisma on some level, you don't have a career spanning two+ decades if you bore people. But pac, jay, nas, rakim, bdk, krs one, ice cube, bun b, Andre, etc.... These ppl are large than life. Kool g rap was not.

But like i said no reason for us to go back and forth, we agree more than we disagree

I think people should have him in their top five more, as do you.

Back