Welcome To aBlackWeb

Black patient hooked to IV arrested after going on walk outside hospital

An African American man recovering from pneumonia says he was arrested after a white security guard and police officers racially profiled him when he went for a walk on his doctor's orders outside a northern Illinois hospital while attached to an IV machine and wearing a hospital gown.

Shaquille Dukes, 24, said that what at first appeared to be a misunderstanding escalated into an unnecessary confrontation with police and prompted his arrest and the arrests of two men with him.

"As they began to take me to the car, I told them ... I never left the hospital property. And that's when he [a police officer] turned and said, 'Well you're off hospital property now,'" Dukes told ABC News.

The incident unfolded just before 5 p.m. on June 9 outside Freeport Health Network Memorial Hospital in Freeport, Illinois, and was caught on cellphone video that went viral after Dukes posted it on his Facebook page.

Freeport Police officials released police body camera footage of the episode, which the city's police chief said shows his officers "handled it in the best way they could ... given the situation that they had in front of them."

Police officers responded to the hospital after receiving a radio call that a hospital security guard requested assistance with a patient who left the hospital with an IV.

In a police report of the incident, the hospital security guard told officers that after he questioned Dukes about why he was leaving the hospital attached to an IV, Dukes and the two men with him "got in my face" and began cursing at him. The security guard told police he felt "extremely threatened," acccording to the report.

Dukes said that the only time he left the hospital property was when the security guard called him over to his vehicle parked in the street outside the hospital.

He said that after attempting to explain that his doctor was aware he had gone outside for a walk after spending several days at the hospital, the security guard responded, "Well I don't care what they told you. As far as I'm concerned, this is hospital equipment and you're attempting to steal it."

In the cellphone video Dukes posted online, the security guard is heard telling police officers, "He's stealing hospital property, basically, by leaving. I don't care if he was coming back, that's stealing."

Dukes and his two companions, Marqwandrick Morrison and Credale Miles, were arrested on charges of disorderly conduct.

"Our investigation revealed that at no time did any doctor or nurse give that patient or any patient permission to leave the hospital while still hooked to an IV machine," Freeport police officials said in a statement to ABC News.

Dukes said he has filed a complaint with the city.

"It was determined that he was likely not trying to steal any of the property. But the charges were supported for disorderly conduct with their actions toward the security guard," Freeport Police Chief Todd Barkalow told ABC News.

FHN Memorial Hospital told ABC News that patient privacy laws prevented them from commenting on what they said was now a police matter.

I don’t think a doctor would say go talk a walk outside while hooked up to an IV

Nah fuck all that.

That security guard was a dick.

You dont call someone over to you, thats not how this shit works. You get up off your ass and go do your fucking job.

The fact that these fuck ass pigs cant seem to see how this shit even began wrong is fucking sad.

Look at his fucking body language, insecure lil bitch that doesnt want to admit he created this situation.

Police spokesperson even acknowledge's the fact that the shit was unnecessary.

He knows the hospital and the city bout to pay out the ass for this one.

Nah fuck all that.

That security guard was a dick.

You dont call someone over to you, thats not how this shit works. You get up off your ass and go do your fucking job.

The fact that these fuck ass pigs cant seem to see how this shit even began wrong is fucking sad.

Look at his fucking body language, insecure lil bitch that doesnt want to admit he created this situation.

Police spokesperson even acknowledge's the fact that the shit was unnecessary.

He knows the hospital and the city bout to pay out the ass for this one.

100%

I’m not saying dude did anything wrong

i have heard doctors say take a walk or go outside.
i never heard take a walk with an IV in but that doesnt mean it wasnt said in this case.

so much else they could be doing

i have heard doctors say take a walk or go outside.
i never heard take a walk with an IV in but that doesnt mean it wasnt said in this case.

so much else they could be doing

You walk the hallways with it. Not outside

Independent investigation finds ‘no evidence of misconduct’ against Freeport Police
FREEPORT (WREX) — The City of Freeport says a third party investigation into the actions of Freeport Police officers responding to an incident with a patient at FHN Hospital back in June showed “no evidence of misconduct” on the part of the responding officers.

This all stems from a June 9 incident when Shaquille Dukes, who was a patient at FHN Hospital in Freeport, was arrested by police after he says a hospital security guard stopped him and two other men when they were outside for a walk.

Dukes says the security officer accused him of trying to steal an IV machine he was hooked up to. The security guard called police, which led to all three men being arrested for misdemeanor disorderly conduct.

Dukes told police on body cam footage, obtained by 13 WREX, that he was given permission to leave the hospital and go outside for a walk.

The independent investigation, which was done by Hazel Crest Police Chief Mitchell Davis III at the request of Freeport Police Chief Todd Barkalow, concluded no one from FHN gave Dukes permission to go outside of the hospital.

“Dr. Murphy and Nurse Jenn both advised that they never gave Dukes permission to leave the hospital at any time. Dukes repeatedly states that when they were stopped, that it was his second time outside walking around the hospital that day. Examination of security footage from the hospital surveillance system for that day did not show Dukes outside on any other occasion on that day.”

Davis’ investigation also addressed accusations from Dukes, and the two other men arrested — Marqwandrick Morrison and Credale Miles — that the men were racially profiled by the FHN security officer who initially stopped them.

“I was not able to substantiate this alleged accusation. Dukes was walking outside the hospital in a hospital gown with an active IV in his arm, which is against hospital policy. Security Officer [Ryan] Godsil would have been negligent in his duties had he not stopped to inquire into what Dukes was doing outside.”

Dukes told CNN last week that what happened to him and the two other men was a clear case of racial profiling.

“Three black males attempting to steal hospital equipment? I mean, like, seriously. What else could this be? I truly feel that because of how we look, the situation spiraled in to something other than what it needed to be. It was initiated by the security and later perpetuated by the police,” Dukes said.

Davis’ report says the allegations of racial profiling were only made in the media and on social media, no formal complaint of racial profiling was submitted in conjunction with the incident.

The report does highlight an incident it calls a “teachable moment” for Freeport Police, meanwhile Dukes is alleging cruel and unusual punishment.

The report says Dukes complained about cruel and unusual punishment after he was arrested and started suffering a medical episode in the back of a squad car. The report says he alleges officers would not give him back his inhaler. The report says body cam footage shows Officer Holden tell Dukes he was taking the inhaler and placing the inhaler on the front seat of the car during the ride to the police station.

It should be noted that while I don’t believe that it rose to the level of cruel and unusual punishment and I don’t know where it falls within Freeport PD’s policy and procedure, but I believe that Officer Holden and officers present during Dukes’ medical episode should have considered unhandcuffing him while he was in distress. Officer Holden did immediately call paramedics to respond to assist Dukes, but it wasn’t until Officer Brandae Hilby arrived that she responded to Dukes’ cries that he couldn’t breathe, after which she got the inhaler from Officer Holden and allowed Dukes to utilize it. This did provide Dukes with some relief. This should serve as a teachable moment.”

Chief Davis’ report says he attempted to contact Dukes, Morrison and Miles on multiple occasions to get their side of the story but none of the men showed up to two scheduled appointments that were previously agreed upon.

“I have not heard anything from Dukes since we confirmed the [second] appointment.”

13 WREX spoke with Dukes moments after the independent investigation was released and he told us multiple deaths in his family caused him to miss the meetings with Davis. Dukes said he tried to reschedule with Davis for a later date but was unable to get in touch with him. That interaction is not mentioned in Davis’ official report.

Despite the results of the independent investigation Dukes says he is going to seek legal action in this case and file a lawsuit against the City of Freeport, Sgt. Jeff Zalaznik — who was on scene at the incident — and FHN Hospital.

“The fact of the matter is what went on was grossly inappropriate,” Dukes said.

Freeport City Manager Lowell Crow said in news release that while there was no finding of misconduct, the incident can still serve as a teachable moment for the city.

“This incident, and the attention it has garnered, has definitely challenged our city and our police department. It is always our expectation that officers are always looking out for the safety and well-being of all residents whom they encounter,” Crow said. “This was a unique circumstance for us and our work to learn from this incident and continue the dialogue with the community we serve will continue.”

The report will now be shared with the Freeport Board of Fire and Police Commissioners for review. Crow said the board can accept the findings of the investigation “or it can hold a hearing to gather additional information or for the purposes of further investigation.”

“Managing an incident that has attracted intense scrutiny has challenged us, to be sure,” said Freeport Police Chief Todd Barkalow. “But it is vital that Freeport residents know the importance we place on strengthening the relationship between the police and the people we serve”

Dukes is schedule to be in Stephenson County court Thursday morning. Dukes says he and his attorney will then hold a new conference after the hearing to talk about the next steps they plan to take in the case.

13 News will have a team in court tomorrow and bring you updates from throughout the proceedings.

Police are pretty useless in situations like this to be honest. All they had to do was talk, going beyond that was necessary. They could have told the dudes that in the future they should pay more heed to what hospital security says and told the security guard to stop being a dick and handle situations better and then left at that. Arresting those dudes because of a disagreement is ridiculous.

I don’t think a doctor would say go talk a walk outside while hooked up to an IV

I had a doctor suggest it while I was in recovery after a surgery. That's regular shit.

So did the Dr tell him to go or not?

The cops claim the Dr didn't tell him to go for a walk

Either way,this went way too far.

Back