Welcome To aBlackWeb

Black farmers were sold 'fake' seeds, Memphis-based group says

DMorgan

You niggas is EXCOMMUNICADO!!!
Black farmers, whose numbers already have dwindled precipitously over the past century, face new hardships after suffering poor yields last year because they were sold "fake" soybean seeds marketed at a Memphis trade show, members of a group representing African-American growers said Tuesday.

Leaders of the Memphis-based Black Farmers and Agriculturalists Association have filed a class-action lawsuit against Stine Seed Co., the nation's largest independent seed-producer, accusing the Adel, Iowa, firm of targeting African-Americans for sales of defective seeds.

The suit alleges that black farmers who attended the 67th Annual Mid-South Farm & Gin Show at the Memphis Cook Convention Center in March of last year bought more than $100,000 worth of Stine seeds. But the "certified" seeds the growers had paid for were switched with inferior ones at a warehouse near Sledge, Mississippi, according to the suit.

Stine, in a statement issued Tuesday night, strongly denied the allegations and said it would mount a vigorous defense against the "meritless" lawsuit.

The lawsuit is the latest action by the BFAA, which also has represented some of the African-American farmers claiming widespread discriminatory practices against by the U.S. Department of Agriculture.

Following an initial class-action lawsuit against USDA, nearly 16,000 growers had collected settlements totaling $1.06 billion by 2011. Congress has appropriated $1.2 billion to pay for a second wave of settlements.

BFAA President Thomas Burrell said at a news conference Tuesday that the number of black farmers has dropped from nearly 1 million in 1920 to about 5,000 today largely as a result of "systemic racism." The low yields resulting from the "fake" seeds could drive more minority growers out of business, he said.

"What we are saying today is that the few remaining black farmers, who have survived drought, who have survived tariffs, who have survived all kinds of natural disasters ... are now finding themselves having to deal with the government of systemic racism by not only the Department of Agriculture, but now seed-manufacturers, seed-breeders, chemical manufacturers who now are weaponizing and have weaponized their seeds and are targeting those seeds ... toward the operations of the remaining black farmers," Burrell said.

Farmers using the seeds reported yields that were only half those from other varieties, according to the suit. At the news conference, BFAA officials distributed laboratory results from Mississippi State University showing that none of the farmers' seeds that had been submitted for testing germinated.

The full statement issued Tuesday night by Stine President Myron Stine reads as follows:

“The lawsuit against Stine Seed Company is without merit and factually unsupportable. Stine takes seriously any allegations of unlawful, improper, or discriminatory conduct and is disturbed by the baseless allegations leveled against the company. Upon learning of these claims, the company took swift action to conduct an internal investigation, which has not revealed any evidence that would support these allegations. Stine intends to vigorously defend itself against this meritless lawsuit and has filed a motion to dismiss. Our focus is on continuing to serve all our customers with the highest degree of integrity and respect that are the bedrock of our company’s values.”
2efde947-d0d9-49be-9ff2-bf685016cf88-IMG_8526.jpg

https://www.commercialappeal.com/st...mers-settlement-lawsuit-fake-seeds/771505002/

Reading this article made me even stronger in conviction in wanting to buy a farm. I don't plan on farming on these peoples level but my wife and I want the land and to grow some of our own food and raise some animals.

1mil to 5k?

waauuu

That shit was crazy but not shocking. So many black people moved to the city over time and even some country black folks just didn't want to do farming work anymore.

I was talking to a older man on the metro one day and he was telling me about the land he owns in south carolina and how his sons and grandkids basically ain't going to do nothing with it or probably not do right by it and sell it when he dies. I could tell that shit was hurtful to him because he talked about that land in a way you could tell it was really difficult for his family to get back in the day and keep and maintain all these years.

Wanted to tell the old man I want that land and if you willing to teach me farming I'd move down there and work that shit right now

Farming is some of the hardest and can be least rewarding and high investment. I know we all need it for sure but shit like this will throw any new young persom off.

Farming is some of the hardest and can be least rewarding and high investment. I know we all need it for sure but shit like this will throw any new young persom off.

You ain't lying. Reason why I said I ain't trying to farm on their level. I want to be able to grow enough stuff and have a few animals where I don't have to go to the grocery store everything damn thing.

You ain't lying. Reason why I said I ain't trying to farm on their level. I want to be able to grow enough stuff and have a few animals where I don't have to go to the grocery store everything damn thing.

My mom home town was a farming community in nc. But its gotten smaller everybody moved away from the small country stuff

That shit was crazy but not shocking. So many black people moved to the city over time and even some country black folks just didn't want to do farming work anymore.

I was talking to a older man on the metro one day and he was telling me about the land he owns in south carolina and how his sons and grandkids basically ain't going to do nothing with it or probably not do right by it and sell it when he dies. I could tell that shit was hurtful to him because he talked about that land in a way you could tell it was really difficult for his family to get back in the day and keep and maintain all these years.

Wanted to tell the old man I want that land and if you willing to teach me farming I'd move down there and work that shit right now
i think we had a thread here about passing down and kids not wanting it.

thing is ...its not valued. the hard work from previous generations dont mean shit to this new generation of gimme now...but not that...or why i gotta work for it?
hard work not seen is hard work not respected. but it shouldnt even have to be seen...it should be an honor to have something passed down.
i feel like we are the only people who fought so hard to gain something just for our kids to give away.

thing is ...its not valued. the hard work from previous generations dont mean shit to this new generation of gimme now...but not that...or why i gotta work for it?
hard work not seen is hard work not respected. but it shouldnt even have to be seen...it should be an honor to have something passed down.
i feel like we are the only people who fought so hard to gain something just for our kids to give away.

Its not even that or kids giving shit away. But shit like running a farm watching your family go broke trying to hold on to a farm and busting ass for decades on one isnt for most people for a reason. Up here niggas go to the shipyard like the cousins and brothers and dads and still work hard but make good money. I know you and other dude were talking bout running businesses and how its gonna save the community and we selfish for not doing all that

Its not even that or kids giving shit away. But shit like running a farm watching your family go broke trying to hold on to a farm and busting ass for decades on one isnt for most people for a reason. Up here niggas go to the shipyard like the cousins and brothers and dads and still work hard but make good money. I know you and other dude were talking bout running businesses and how its gonna save the community and we selfish for not doing all that
uh...you lost me bruh.

lets try this again...what you talking about

We did have that thread and my only thing in that thread was shit shouldn't be forced on to the kids if they don't want to do it. I also said that if that is the case then said parents should give it to some family members who does value it and want to continue what a part of the family has built up and the kids of the parents passing down the land or business shouldn't see a penny of it since they don't want to help keep it going.

I still stand by that. If you ain't willing to help then don't be willing to spend or want any of the profits.

I get that feeling sometimes as well. I also feel like we don't talk/teach to our kids enough about building things. I know personally that when I bought my first house nobody who owned homes in family sat me down and talked to me about everything they knew home ownership entailed. Folks don't talk to their kids about property taxes. All you hear most people talk about I gotta pay this mortgage so that is all most kids grow up to think about owning a home is paying the mortgage and utilities nothing else.

I have to keep repeating this shit. Adults can complain and down talk the youth all day and night but until they are willing to admit that a major part of the shit they complaining about is their fault ain't nothing about to change the road we headed down. Generations of older black people have failed black youth but don't want to take ownership of that and can't understand why the youth don't respect them they talking at or down to them. Those kids eventually get to the point in life where they start to realize things and know exactly where they have been failed at by the older generation.

uh...you lost me bruh.

lets try this again...what you talking about

The whole thread you made about black kids not wanting to work in family businesses and you ssid black people only ones that do this. Im saying alot of those family businesses were not things everybody wants to do or should be forced to do.

We did have that thread and my only thing in that thread was shit shouldn't be forced on to the kids if they don't want to do it. I also said that if that is the case then said parents should give it to some family members who does value it and want to continue what a part of the family has built up and the kids of the parents passing down the land or business shouldn't see a penny of it since they don't want to help keep it going.

I still stand by that. If you ain't willing to help then don't be willing to spend or want any of the profits.

I get that feeling sometimes as well. I also feel like we don't talk/teach to our kids enough about building things. I know personally that when I bought my first house nobody who owned homes in family sat me down and talked to me about everything they knew home ownership entailed. Folks don't talk to their kids about property taxes. All you hear most people talk about I gotta pay this mortgage so that is all most kids grow up to think about owning a home is paying the mortgage and utilities nothing else.

I have to keep repeating this shit. Adults can complain and down talk the youth all day and night but until they are willing to admit that a major part of the shit they complaining about is their fault ain't nothing about to change the road we headed down. Generations of older black people have failed black youth but don't want to take ownership of that and can't understand why the youth don't respect them they talking at or down to them. Those kids eventually get to the point in life where they start to realize things and know exactly where they have been failed at by the older generation.
ok.....i gotta agree with you here....
i went thru alot of the same shit.....no one told me shit about shit.
nothing about homes, caring for the home...nothing.
i learned most of it on my own with alot of fucking up. but i also bought i home thats was small but enough for a family.
i dont think our community has enough people with longterm vision. we dont teach our kids about investing , the value of hard work and having something for later.
most parents will straight up tell a kid....i work hard so you wont have to . or i work hard to give you the things i didnt have. and they dont follow up.

i actually made a thread on the IC apologizing for my generation fucking it up for the next.
https://allhiphop.vanillacommunitie...g-skills-from-some-idiots-in-my-generation/p1
alot of nigga i grew up with chased the drug money and made babies all over . then niggas all wanted to be cool with they kids.

this shit will catch up to us ....shit it might have already and i just dont know.

The whole thread you made about black kids not wanting to work in family businesses and you ssid black people only ones that do this. Im saying alot of those family businesses were not things everybody wants to do or should be forced to do.

welp.....it wont matter.....cause uh when them handouts stop.....and they complaining that they boss treating them wrong and they got passed over for a white boy.....

all that hard work is making someone else rich and they still wont be doing what they like.

ok.....i gotta agree with you here....
i went thru alot of the same shit.....no one told me shit about shit.
nothing about homes, caring for the home...nothing.
i learned most of it on my own with alot of fucking up. but i also bought i home thats was small but enough for a family.
i dont think our community has enough people with longterm vision. we dont teach our kids about investing , the value of hard work and having something for later.
most parents will straight up tell a kid....i work hard so you wont have to . or i work hard to give you the things i didnt have. and they dont follow up.

i actually made a thread on the IC apologizing for my generation fucking it up for the next.
https://allhiphop.vanillacommunitie...g-skills-from-some-idiots-in-my-generation/p1
alot of nigga i grew up with chased the drug money and made babies all over . then niggas all wanted to be cool with they kids.

this shit will catch up to us ....shit it might have already and i just dont know.

Can't even lie after owning 2 homes using one a rental now and learning all that have so far and still leaning. I got kinda of mad at a few family members cause I knew they knew all about this shit after conversing with them about stuff I had to do. They would then have all this shit to say about it and I would cut them off and ask why they never said anything to me about it beforehand and all I would get is silence. That let me know they knew they was wrong.

It has caught up to us and its getting worse. I say that cause all folks want to do is place blame everywhere but on themselves. So all that happens is arguments instead of improvements because folks know they wrong but don't want to admit they wrong and they damn for sure don't want one part of the guilty party telling them how they are wrong.

Can't even lie after owning 2 homes using one a rental now and learning all that have so far and still leaning. I got kinda of mad at a few family members cause I knew they knew all about this shit after conversing with them about stuff I had to do. They would then have all this shit to say about it and I would cut them off and ask why they never said anything to me about it beforehand and all I would get is silence. That let me know they knew they was wrong.

It has caught up to us and its getting worse. I say that cause all folks want to do is place blame everywhere but on themselves. So all that happens is arguments instead of improvements because folks know they wrong but don't want to admit they wrong and they damn for sure don't want one part of the guilty party telling them how they are wrong.
im glad you brought that up...again same thing i went thru.
so when i try to tell or educate those coming after me...niggas try to say you preaching and let them learn on they own.

but why? why should i watch them fuck up when a bit of advice might help? if they dont follow it fine...i bet they will the next time tho.

i always rather be preachy than standing by watching a nigga fail.
what kinda man would i be allowing that?

welp.....it wont matter.....cause uh when them handouts stop.....and they complaining that they boss treating them wrong and they got passed over for a white boy.....

all that hard work is making someone else rich and they still wont be doing what they like.

I have no idea with this push for more black owned businesses, but I can't understand why you guys can't promote that without completely misrepresenting what it's like to work for other companies. Ya'll niggas stay trying to paint it as slave labor or something, as if there are black people out here working normal jobs and living good lives.

Black people aint got the same leeway to fail tho.

Back