Welcome To aBlackWeb

Black Comedy - Is stand-up the principal?

1/2

Dont drank out my drank, foo
Coming off the new Dave Chappelle special I had to think about it. This whole run with netflix has been fire.

Now Eddie is talking about coming back.

You got the 85 South show rolling right now, that shit is hilarious.

As far as black comedy movies? I really cant say any of them have hit the mark in a long time.

Is stand up proving to be the best form we can express this art in?

Think we'll ever get any "classic" black comedies again?

Marlon wayans stay aking movies, but them shits don't be funny to me... same with tyler perry and madea, i can't hate but so much cuz they keep black people working, but it's like conry niggaz inhereted the movies....

so real niggaz just hop on stage and take it back to what got them on

Harlem Nights was dope cause they let Eddie be the star..shit was mad selfless all those dope comics in their own right that could come close to bodyin Eddie on a really good night, let him live.

Ion know if we gone get that great a movie again. Then wit coming to America it was diversely funny.

If we can get Seth Rogan, Dave, Franco, Chris Tucker,

Wit a sprinkle of Corey Holcomb like comedians as background guys..

It would be really dope, but ion see anyone putting their ego to the side to create that

• Ether
Reactions: 1/2
Another problem is black comedies are not gonna get the same critical acclaim as white ones.

The last comedy movie that had a majority black cast that I remember getting love like that was Girls trip.

Is there a director who can possibly make more sophisticated comedy movies for blk people? Not just men dressing up as women and shit like that...

• Ether
Another problem is black comedies are not gonna get the same critical acclaim as white ones.

The last comedy movie that had a majority black cast that I remember getting love like that was Girls trip.

Is there a director who can possibly make more sophisticated comedy movies for blk people? Not just men dressing up as women and shit like that...

meh...idk about the critical acclaim part but I hear you on someone just making better movies, period

Stand-up was always the foundation. I bet if you name all the best black comedies, most if not all probably star actors that were first successful in stand-up. If we're being real, most black comedians dumb down their comedy to be in movies.

Stand-up was always the foundation. I bet if you name all the best black comedies, most if not all probably star actors that were first successful in stand-up. If we're being real, most black comedians dumb down their comedy to be in movies.

Word.. though I don't remember Will Smith ever doing standup but he was naturally funny... he might be the exception to the rule

True. That said, if you look at movies, Will hasn't really done many comedies where he wasn't side by side with a stand-up comedian (e.g. Bad Boys).

True.. I was thinking more along the lines of how Will held down Fresh Prince.. not so much movies..

But that being said.. when the conversation of top sitcoms up.. Fresh Prince is usually up there alongside Martin... and Will wasn't a traditional comedian.

Improv is a portion of comedy as well.. though while its not standup... it's a skill to be taken into account for.

Same for Chappelle.. there's a lot of folks that don't really fuck with his stand up but say he's one of the greatest SKETCH comics of all time... another skill

Back