Welcome To aBlackWeb

FEATURED Billboard puts out a “Top 50 Hip-Hop Groups of all-time” list...let the anger 😡 ensue

test
The top 10 is OK, I wouldnt have Outkast as #1 though and wouldnt have Salt n Peppa anywhere near the top 10 but then they did alot for female groups so on that basis I guess you could make the argument...

classic has lost so much significance
if niggas simply LIKE an album, it’s a classic

I agree with that, but an album being a classic is subjective. It's not like sports where you can use stats to say whether a player is HoF or not. I don't think it's too crazy to say that Southerplayalistic, ATLiens, and Aquemini are all classics and that Stankonia is borderline. So the claim that Outkast has 4 or 5 classics is not crazy. Even just having 3 classics and sustained commercial success over a decade puts them in a league of their own. Outkast definitely is in the running for GOAT group. I think anyone looking at this objectively would agree. The only people mad about Outkast being at the top are people who don't like Outkast.

Looking at the list again, I'm not going to criticize placements too much because that is hard, but I would make some changes.

City Girls off - What have they done to even be considered for this list.
Rae Sremmurd off - I get their inclusion more than the CGs, but I still don't think they've done enough to be on this list.
Ying Yang Twins off - They had one maybe two big songs are largely trash outside of that.
2 Live Crew off - They're name is big more off controversy than music. They might be Top 50 strip club acts, but that's about it.

Lil Jon and the Eatstide Boys on - Were they the greatest rappers? No. But they were the best at what they did and made good party music. They could have 2LCs spot.
Youngbloodz or Field Mob on - Either one would be a better pic than the YYTs.
Smif N Wessun on - I'm not surprised they were left off but they shouldn't have been.
Heltah Skeltah on - See above.

classic has lost so much significance
if niggas simply LIKE an album, it’s a classic
True but back in the 90s we knew those were classic albums they were dropping. That's why it was a big controversy when the source kept giving them 4 and a half mics. Until the got 5 mics with aquimeni. Big Boi even addressed it on Skew it on the Barby with Raekwon

I don’t hate this list, but no way to I put OutKast over the Wu. The Clan was apart of the 90s East Coast Renaissance, and have a Top 5 all-time hip-hop album in 36 Chambers. Plus, they’re the only group in this Top 5 (or top 10, minus The Roots) that are still touring to this day. That’s damn near 30 years of a GLOBAL run.

That top 5 should be re-done as follows:

Wu
NWA
Run-DMC
OutKast
Tribe

Also, fuck this list for putting the LOX at 22. Jada by himself is better than groups like Migos.

How in the living muthafuck they gonna have Ying yang twins and city girls on this fucking list but not have these niggas!! I'm already having a shitty day, this is just the cherry on the fucking top!! unnamed.jpg

I don’t hate this list, but no way to I put OutKast over the Wu. The Clan was apart of the 90s East Coast Renaissance, and have a Top 5 all-time hip-hop album in 36 Chambers. Plus, they’re the only group in this Top 5 (or top 10, minus The Roots) that are still touring to this day. That’s damn near 30 years of a GLOBAL run.

That top 5 should be re-done as follows:

Wu
NWA
Run-DMC
OutKast
Tribe

Also, fuck this list for putting the LOX at 22. Jada by himself is better than groups like Migos.

I look at it like this. It all depends on what you're prioritizing. Just like you credit the Clan with bringing in that 90s East Coast Renaissance, you can credit Outkast with being a major part of the rise of the South. Then it also depends on if you're talking about each group as a collective or just a group. If it's the former, I'd agree that Wu should be above Outkast. If you're just talking about the group itself, Outkast has a better catalog than the Clan as a group and has reached higher heights having a Diamond album and a Grammy for Album of the Year (for what that's worth).

Also, I'm not a Migos fan at all, but credit where it's due, they've ben THE rap group for their era. That's got to count for something.

Meh...Top 10 not bad.

If we talkin strictly impact overall...Run DMC should be higher. Can't deny the mainstream impact they had in the industry. Especially the early days of MTV. Them and the Beastie Boys.

Given that one of the criteria is achievements (awards/plaques/billboard charting) I see why some groups are on here compared to others.

This is a much better list then anything Rolling Stone has put out.

Back