Poll Best Movie Tournament (FINALS): Malcolm X vs Goodfellas

Better Movie?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
We watch X to see the performance of Denzel. He killed it.

We watch Goodfellas bcuz it's a very entertaining movie from start to finish. Can't think of any slow moments in the movie. Scorsese killed it.

No losers here. Comes down to what you are in the mood for.

I prolly would like X even more if I hadn't read the book first when I was a kid.

Voted for Malcolm X.

While both movies are historical period pieces that took liberties with their respective sources (i.e. the Lufthansa heist actually happened in 1978, I legit remember the shit on the news) I will say that Malcolm X has more significance with Black folks that came up during the Civil Rights movement and post movement, like myself. I read the Autobiography of Malcolm X in the 6th grade (in a white school no less) and it's always been a part of me. To see it brought to life on the big screen was an accomplishment many of us never thought we'd see in our lifetimes.

I'm not Italian, so Goodfellas, while an excellent movie that I'll watch no matter where I catch it, simply doesn't hold the weight that X did.

Last edited:
Voted for Malcolm X.

While both movies are historical period pieces that took liberties with their respective sources (i.e. the Lufthansa heist actually happened in 1978, I legit remember the shit on the news) I will say that Malcolm X has more significance with Black folks that came up during the Civil Rights movement and post movement, like myself. I read the Autobiography of Malcolm X in the 6th grade (in a white school no less) and it's always been a part of me. To see it brought to life on the big screen was an accomplishment many of us never thought we'd see in our lifetimes.

I'm not Italian, so Goodfellas, while an excellent movie that I'll watch no matter where I catch it, simply doesn't hold the weight that X did.

Some of my sentiments...

Voted for Malcolm X.

Beautifully articulated.

• Goat
Reactions: konceptjones
I prolly would like X even more if I hadn't read the book first when I was a kid.

Malcolm X one of my favorite movies,

But I read the book after seeing the movie, and I kinda feel some way of Spike either changing or leaving stuff out.

Til I read the book, I thought once him and his siblings got split up. He never saw them again. But that was false.

Reactions: O.G.
It's goodfellas.

Either way it goes this is unfortunate.

Should have done a black only films if niggas were so pressed. The best black films aren't even in the bracket lmao. Shit none of the best films in general are even in the bracket.

Like what are we doing here really? 🤦🏿
It's going to happen with the tv show tourney too

I voted Goodfellas, but I'm not mad at Malcom X winning on this site. It falls in line with the climate here. If there was ever was a place where a movie like Malcom X gets it's proper due... It would be here.

People long felt that Denzel was snubbed on this movie. And I also feel like that performance should rank higher in all time portrayals. So again I'm not mad at the outcome.. It's just that personal favorite movies, Goodfellas always been in that rotation.

I've watched Malcom X prolly like 5-6 times. Enjoyed it each time... And really felt good showing the kids. So I mean I get it. No real loser here

This scene always catches me knowing my mom side of the family last name is “ Little” and was own by some slave owners who had that last name Little.

Baines: Do you know where you came from? What’s your name ?
Malcolm X : Malcolm Little
Baines: No, That’s the name of the slave masters that own your family. You don’t know even know who you are, you’re nothing ,less than nothing. Who are you ?

Status
Not open for further replies.