Welcome To aBlackWeb

Poll Best Decade For Music (as a whole, not just Hip Hop)

Best Decade For Music

• 1969-1978

Votes: 5 11.9%
  • 1979-1988

Votes: 10 23.8%
  • 1989-1998

Votes: 24 57.1%
  • 1999-2008

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • 2009-2018

• Other (seriously?)

• Total voters
'89 - '98 was the peak. Every genre essentially took a massive blow to head and died after that. Some worse than others.

The way Hip Hop evolved in the 80s was breathtaking.

The only reason it seems like 90s Hip Hop was better is because there was more of it.

If an average month in the 80s yielded 5 Hip Hop albums, by the 90s the average month yielded 20 albums, maybe more.

Having said that, there was much, much, much more garbage Hip Hop in the 90s than the 80s.

Wasn't just hip hop. There was ALOTTA good Spanish music in the 90's. Alotta classic bachata, merengue, salsa and reggae came out the 90's. Pac n biggie to me were the greatest to ever do it n they put their best work out in the 90s

Anything - SWV
When A Woman's Fed Up - R. Kelly
My Life - Mary J. Blige
Ascension - Maxwell
Remember the Time - MJ
Water Runs Dry - Boyz II Men
I Can't Let Go - Mariah
No Ordinary Love - Sade
Most Beautiful Girl in the World - Prince
Brown Sugar - D'Angelo

To me anyway. Also shit like MJ's In The Closet, Usher's Nice & Slow and Keith Sweat's comeback Twisted which are still R&B bangers to this day. I didn't even get into Jodeci or New Jack Swing. If I did I'd be here all night. Modern R&B definitely hit it's stride in the 90s.

Wasn't just hip hop. There was ALOTTA good Spanish music in the 90's. Alotta classic bachata, merengue, salsa and reggae came out the 90's. Pac n biggie to me were the greatest to ever do it n they put their best work out in the 90s

Everytime I hit up latino parties it's that 90's Teodoro, Anthony Santos, Luis Vargas and Raulin they mostly rock with. Not no Prince Royce shit. That music is timeless.

Everytime I hit up latino parties it's that 90's Teodoro, Anthony Santos, Luis Vargas and Raulin they mostly rock with. Not no Prince Royce shit. That music is timeless.

They always play the same joints n is mostly from the 90s(but they was fyaa). Hard for a Spanish chick to turn down dancing to the classics. Not too many mamis turning down a chance to boogie to "medicina de amor" lol.
90's RnB was ridiculous too. Peak Mariah, Whitney, Brian McKnight , r. kelly, boyz 2 men, early Usher....list goes on

Back