Welcome To aBlackWeb

Poll Best Decade For Music (as a whole, not just Hip Hop)

Best Decade For Music

• 1969-1978

Votes: 5 11.9%
  • 1979-1988

Votes: 10 23.8%
  • 1989-1998

Votes: 24 57.1%
  • 1999-2008

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • 2009-2018

• Other (seriously?)

• Total voters
I always thought early 80s R&B (MJ, Stevie, Prince, Gap Band, Rick James, etc.) was better than 90s R&B because in the 80s they actually played instruments. A lot of R&B from the 90s were just samples or Hip Hop beats, which isn't what R&B is supposed to sound like imo.

79-88

You had the tail end of Disco, The advent of the sampler along with Yamaha's DX7, The Roland TR 808 and 809, The Linn Drum, and every analog synth out there permanently changed the sound of music, 80's pop music ran the show, Prince and MJ at their very best, Funk and R&B were light years beyond any other decade, Metal was never better and started moving into other realms (That guitar solo on MJ's "Beat It"? Eddie Van Halen did that), Jazz split and "smooth jazz" made it mainstream, Hip Hop came into it's own, House and Techno emerged from Chicago and Detroit respectively...

Nah b, there really wasn't a better time for music.

To me, the 80s was wack musically. None of the sounds were timeless, it sounds corny in modern times.

Thriller - Michael Jackson
Purple Rain - Prince & The Revolution
Rapture - Anita Baker
Born In The USA - Bruce Springsteen
1984 - Van Halen
It Takes A Nation Of Millions To Hold Us Back - Public Enemy
Straight Outta Compton - NWA
Criminal Minded - Boogie Down Productions
Uprising - Bob Marley & The Wailers
In Square Circle - Stevie Wonder

^^^ I'd put those albums up against any 10 albums from any decade

To me, the 80s was wack musically. None of the sounds were timeless, it sounds corny in modern times.

Really???

Zapp - More Bounce
Zapp - Computer Love
Zapp - I wanna Be Your Man
George Clinton - Atomic Dog
Marvin Gaye - Sexual Healing
Lionel Richie - Hello
Isley Brothers - Between The Sheets
Prince - When Doves Cry
Prince - Little Red Corvette
Prince - 1999
Prince - Purple Rain

That's just a few off the top. I ain't even scratching the surface of the timeless shit that came out of the 80's. I haven't touched on shit by white artists, hip hop, or anything else.

89 - 98

you had the best of all genres

it wasn't just about r&b or rock n roll or rap

It was about all of em and the music was just way better during that time period too

Back