Welcome To aBlackWeb

Benzino is currently having a hits battle vs EDO G

I'm from the Bean.

Benzino's crew, The Almighty RSO has been around since the 80s. They were putting out records when Run DMC was in their prime. But they never popped off. They made a little noise with a song called One In The Chamba that got banned because it talked about shooting cops.

Ed O.G. came out in the early 90s and had a few hit records, I Gotta Have It and Be A Father To Your Child from his first album, and a few other records.

When it's all said and done, Ed O.G. is better at rapping, but Benzino had more connections and was more thorough in the streets (from my perspective).

Here's ED O.G.'s most famous track

And here's my favorite song from the Eminem vs Benzino beef

I never knew that Made Men made that song off The Original Gangsters soundtrack,I think it's called

"Lets get it on" featuring Mobb Deep,Benzino talked about it on Drink Champs.

Here's some early RSO stuff. It came out around 1986/87 although they had been out before that.

There used to be a show called Lekkos Lema(sp?) that came on the Boston College Radio station, WZBC. It must have been around 1985 or 86. They used to play local Boston Hip Hop, which was basically demo tapes because besides New Edition, nobody in Boston had a record out. But they'd play stuff by RSO and promote their shows, which is how I know the stuff I'm posting isn't their earliest work. I guess it's just the first thing they put on record,

^Now that stuff came out in 1986/87. So you can understand why we thought the stuff coming out of NYC was just better. Eric B & Rakim, LL Cool J, Run DMC, even The Beastie Boys music sounded professional compared to RSO.

I guess Benzino stuck with it (and pissed a lot of people off) because everybody knows who he is.

Truth be told, I never thought any of them could rap. I thought they were wack compared the groups coming out of NYC.

They dropped some stuff on an independent label under the name Wize Guys and Made Men but I never really listened to it.

Last but not least, there was a compilation called Boston Goes Def. That radio show, Lekkos Lema (sp?) was behind it. They used to tell people to send in their demo tapes and they'd put it on the compilation

I heard it, eventually. It didn't sound professional

R-319298-1401875550-4617.jpeg.jpg

Benzino that dude who played a junior college game that aired on ESPN U & shows people the tape whenever they come to his house years later.

Back