Biopic with Blandness

PRAISE: I believe Amy Winehouse was an old soul who was only here for a brief period of time to give people her songs...that five minutes to forget your problems that she spoke of and then she was gone. If I was to take the reincarnation view of her life I would say she was here during that era of classic jazz which she loved and came back briefly to display her love for it.
The best things about this movie are the amazing sounds of her soulful voice and the voice of Marisa Abela,who portrays Winehouse. She truly gives it her all in the performance. Also quite good are Lesley Manville as her grandmother Cynthia and Jack O’Connell as the charming and devilish love of her life Blake.

PROBLEMS: The movie fails to capture Winehouse's true love of music and why she wrote songs the way she did. It feels like the movie loads up on footnotes right to the very end. Sometimes when an entertainers family is deeply involved in a biopic they try to omit things that would make their actions towards her obvious demons and addictions look like plain old obliviousness . Why did her management and music studios behind her let her go out and perform in her condition? So much is left out about why she turned to alcohol even though the film lamely nods to a couple of things. Sure they touched on Blake's part in enabling her but it's summed up quickly. People will be better served watching the documentary about her life 2015's Amy.

Scale of 1 to 10 a 6