Welcome To aBlackWeb

As Trump tackles vapes, African Americans feel stung by inaction on menthol cigarettes

DMorgan

You niggas is EXCOMMUNICADO!!!
Is the government wrongly ignoring another flavored nicotine product that poses particular dangers to African Americans? Or would it be discriminatory to ban a flavor so popular among blacks?
Some black leaders say a ban on menthol cigarettes would be paternalistic, robbing African American smokers of their right to choose which products to use. Others, including many black health advocates, counter that it’s racist not to ban a dangerous product pushed for years by what they call predatory, racially targeted marketing.

For decades, the tobacco industry peddled menthol cigarettes to black consumers through billboards, TV ads and magazines like Jet and Ebony, with African Americans smoking under slogans such as, “Alive with pleasure!” Tobacco companies also bought good will by sponsoring high-profile athletic and cultural events and contributing to black politicians and organizations, including members of the Congressional Black Caucus and the group’s foundation — contributions that critics say made black lawmakers more likely to support industry positions.

In New York City, a major battle looms over a bill that would prohibit the sale of flavored tobacco products, including menthol cigarettes, pitting African American groups and health organizations against Al Sharpton and a civil rights group he founded, National Action Network. Sharpton argues that banning menthol cigarettes would harm African Americans by increasing encounters with police. He points to the case of Eric Garner, an African American man who died in 2014 after a cop put him in a chokehold while arresting him for allegedly selling untaxed cigarettes. Recently, Garner’s mother also denounced the proposed ban.

“Can you tell me that police are not going to give tickets and make arrests?” Sharpton asked in an interview about the proposed New York City ban. Without such an assurance, he said, “I’ve got a concern.”

Critics dismiss Sharpton’s position that black men will face more targeting by police if menthol cigarettes are banned. “There’s no evidence to support it,” said Delmonte Jefferson, executive director of the National African American Tobacco Prevention Network, saying local bans target manufacturers and retailers, not buyers.
African American health advocates have long criticized Sharpton’s ties to the tobacco industry. A few years ago, with funding from Reynolds American, Sharpton traveled around the country discussing his concerns about menthol bans. “You don’t necessarily see a big ‘Alive with pleasure’ billboard anymore,” said Vetaw, the Minneapolis advocate. “But you see Al Sharpton show up and other black leaders, you know, who are in the pockets of Big Tobacco.”
Sharpton said his opinions reflect his personal convictions, not industry support. Given his involvement in the Garner case, he said, “it would be inconsistent for me not to take a position” on the New York City bill.
spot%2Bnewport%2B4333.jpg

A few years ago, with funding from Reynolds American, Sharpton traveled around the country discussing his concerns about menthol bans.

I usually try to stick up for the guy just because he gets under CAC skin so bad but this is some real scumbag shit right here. Like next level lowlife shit.

I usually try to stick up for the guy just because he gets under CAC skin so bad but this is some real scumbag shit right here. Like next level lowlife shit.

Ain't it though. I was honestly surprised when I read that.

I'm not sure what people want Trump to do about it. Everyone knows cigarettes are poison. The difference with vaping is that people moved towards it because they were told it was safer. Since we now know, it really isn't the government has to do something to dispel misinformation. They did the same thing with cigarettes...30+ years ago. If people still smoke them, that's on them.

Smoking is a personal choice
Word, menthol being the "black" cig isn't for anyone to intervene. Back when I smoked, Newport came out wit the non menthol Newport. Still had the pull of a Newport, smokers know what I mean. But menthol leave ya breath smelling worse than regular cigarettes do. Like you chewed gum way too long.

Anyway when niggaz would ask for a cig and I pulled out the red pack. You'd think I had a MaGa had hat on.

Fuck banning them

Why give them more reasons to arrest us?

This would mean they automatically have probable cause to fuck with any nigga they see smoking a cigarette.

Is anyone black actually pushing this?

Fuck banning them

Why give them more reasons to arrest us?

This would mean they automatically have probable cause to fuck with any nigga they see smoking a cigarette.

Is anyone black actually pushing this?

It's a ban on sales not smoking them. Minnesota already does it or at least in twin cities. Smoke shops still sell them though so basically they just make it a slight pain in the ass to get them.

But cigarettes are outdated anyway. If they're going to ban vapes over a couple of thousands of illnesses that are still unconfirmed but they leave cigarettes untouched and they catch a couple thousand bodies a day we all know what their motives are and who's signing the checks.

It's a ban on sales not smoking them. Minnesota already does it or at least in twin cities. Smoke shops still sell them though so basically they just make it a slight pain in the ass to get them.

But cigarettes are outdated anyway. If they're going to ban vapes over a couple of thousands of illnesses that are still unconfirmed but they leave cigarettes untouched and they catch a couple thousand bodies a day we all know what their motives are and who's signing the checks.

Yea it’s a non issue cause younger people ain’t smoking menthols. And the people who are smoking them now will still smoke cigs regardless, they already hooked on the nicotine so who does it even benefit?

Back in HS i kept a pack of Newports

Used to smoke one after every blunt like an after dinner mint.

That crisp feeling like your lungs are snowing

Back