Welcome To aBlackWeb

Are you the bread winner in your family?

Los216

The Game Is The Game
As an individual, I make more money than any one person in my family or my wife's family. What's crazy is that I don't make nearly as much right now as I intend to be making in the future. Every job I've had paid more than the last one. My next job will be the highest paying job anyone in our immediate family has ever had.

I'm not talking about distant cousins and shit either. I met a few relatives at our family reunion who were doctors and lawyers but these were like distant cousins who I had never met or knew existed until we met last October.

I was telling my wife that sometimes it feels like a burden knowing that I'm at a place where our parents never made it to. It's really crazy. I don't know how much my mom or my mother in law makes and I don't want to know. I just know that I make way more.

I saw a discussion on Twitter earlier where people were clowning other people who thought that $65K annually is a lot of money and it really made me think. I make more than that but nobody ese in our family does. We also live in a metropolitan area. $65K per year is not chump change. I don't know if it's because of social media or what but it's wild to me to see the commentary on salary. I saw a lot of people looking down on that $65K and Iono.......

I'm also on a salary and I think me and my wife are the only two people in our families who are not hourly workers. We're the only ones on a salary.

I know a lot of people and there's no way that you can convince me that the vast majority of people out there think that $65K is chump change. No way.

These discussions never translate to social media because everybody is in diff parts of the country

“$80K in NY is homeless” head ass niggas lol

Yeah but there's a threshold where a certain amount of money can have an impact anywhere. I think you can legitimately live off of $65K in any city under certain circumstances. Obviously having kids may factor into that but if you were single then $65K is a decent amount of money to be making.

Yeah but there's a threshold where a certain amount of money can have an impact anywhere. I think you can legitimately live off of $65K in any city under certain circumstances. Obviously having kids may factor into that but if you were single then $65K is a decent amount of money to be making.

Sadly going from $40k to $65k I didn’t feel a noticeable improvement in standard of living because rent went up so much in that period of time (6-7 yrs)

They pay more in rent in Brooklyn than Cleveland but neither of them own a car. No car insurance. No kids. No student loans. It's not like them niggas have a lot of responsibilities.

They pay more in rent in Brooklyn than Cleveland but neither of them own a car. No car insurance. No kids. No student loans. It's not like them niggas have a lot of responsibilities.

It’s possible depending on where but it also sounds like they met the right landlord

Two of my bestfriends moved from Cleveland to Brooklyn and they do not make close to $65K and they are still getting by. Both single black dudes.

What's "getting by" to you may be different for another person.

Me personally no matter where I live. If I'm just "getting by" then IMO I'm doing bad. That's just my definition of "getting by".

What's "getting by" to you may be different for another person.

Me personally no matter where I live. If I'm just "getting by" then IMO I'm doing bad. That's just my definition of "getting by".

That's crazy because the majority of people in this country aren't even getting by then

They say the average working family here in Vegas, with two working adults, makes around $60k/yr. Not too long ago that was a comfortable living. But, in the last few years with rent prices skyrocketing it's not really all that comfortable anymore. Those same families now have at least one of those adults running for Postmates or driving for Uber just to make ends meet.

My brothers and sister get paid way more than me. They all have their Bachelor & Master Degrees.
I have 2 Associate Degrees in Computer Technology & Maritime Technology.
Completed my Electrician Journeyman thing a long time ago.
I take my Masters in a few weeks

Last edited:
Back