Welcome To aBlackWeb

Are you an active listener?

DOS_patos

Unverified Legion of Trill member
Seems like everyone wants to speak and be heard but very few want to or are abvle to actively listen.

Listening is one of the most important skills you can have. How well you listen has a major impact on your job effectiveness, and on the quality of your relationships with others.

For instance:

• We listen to obtain information.
  • We listen to understand.
  • We listen for enjoyment.
  • We listen to learn.
Given all the listening that we do, you would think we'd be good at it! In fact most of us are not, and research suggests that we only remember between 25 percent and 50 percent of what we hear. That means that when you talk to your boss, colleagues, customers, or spouse for 10 minutes, they pay attention to less than half of the conversation.

Turn it around and it reveals that when you are receiving directions or being presented with information, you aren't hearing the whole message either. You hope the important parts are captured in your 25-50 percent, but what if they're not?

Clearly, listening is a skill that we can all benefit from improving. By becoming a better listener, you can improve your productivity, as well as your ability to influence, persuade and negotiate. What's more, you'll avoid conflict and misunderstandings. All of these are necessary for workplace success!

To enhance your listening skills, you need to let the other person know that you are listening to what she is saying.

To understand the importance of this, ask yourself if you've ever been engaged in a conversation when you wondered if the other person was listening to what you were saying. You wonder if your message is getting across, or if it's even worthwhile continuing to speak. It feels like talking to a brick wall and it's something you want to avoid.

I listen and talk.

Cant learn shit unless you challenge the information that is being told you to make sure its true

I listen and talk.

Cant learn shit unless you challenge the information that is being told you to make sure its true

thats my uncle....takes everything to the extreme

*rents a car*

"sir, fill up before you bring it back or its this much per gallon"

Unc - what is that based on? what size is the tank? what kinda gas did they use when making this up? was it hot outside? what if the car is on an incline? were the tires at the correct pressure?

*rents a car*

Unc - what is that based on? what size is the tank? what kinda gas did they use when making this up? was it hot outside? what if the car is on an incline? were the tires at the correct pressure?
the price they set for gas......it takes time away from other duties since someone has to go fill it up

*rents a car*

Bruh

I challenge damn near everything and I can see my son doing it too.

Dude called my up about rain. Legit asked me over 10 question about rain. Why does it rain? Where does it come from? Why is good for us when it rains?

And that shit turned in questions about lighting and thunder.

Bruh

I challenge damn near everything and I can see my son doing it too.

Dude called my up about rain. Legit asked me over 10 question about rain. Why does it rain? Where does it come from? Why is good for us when it rains?

And that shit turned in questions about lighting and thunder.
i think its a difference between challenging and inquisitive.

Yea it comes with the territory of being an only child and introvert. When I was younger I would rather sit around the old folks and pick up on their convos and the dynamics rather than kick it with my cousins who were my age. I'd much rather listen than talk....even tho I have my moments where I can't stfu.

Yea it comes with the territory of being an only child and introvert. When I was younger I would rather sit around the old folks and pick up on their convos and the dynamics rather than kick it with my cousins who were my age. I'd much rather listen than talk....even tho I have my moments where I can't stfu.
is it a comfort thing?

once you feel comfortable around someone you open up?

is it a comfort thing?

once you feel comfortable around someone you open up?
In a way. Like I can have a conversation with anybody regardless of if I know you or not but it's more a matter of do I want to...I'm notorious for chatting up strangers in a bar for a couple hours. But small talk like at the grocery store? Nope. Hi and bye.

Back