Welcome To aBlackWeb

COMMUNITY are Black businesses too expensive?

Are Black businesses too expensive?

• HELL YEA

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • some cases yes, other cases no

Votes: 9 90.0%
  • not at all

Votes: 1 10.0%

• Total voters

Race Jones

gangster. grace. alchemy
9A40CF07-A998-412D-9777-9D95391962B5.jpeg

saw this on fb. I don’t necessarily agree but ive heard that shopping Black owned can be pricey. what are your thoughts?

what do you do if a black owned business is more expensive than a white owned business but both provide the same quality service?

View attachment 549048

saw this on fb. I don’t necessarily agree but ive heard that shopping Black owned can be pricey. what are your thoughts?

what do you do if a black owned business is more expensive than a white owned business but both provide the same quality service?

A lot of black businesses are more expensive for the same reason that Mom and Pops stores tend to be more expensive than Walmart. Black businesses don't have the infrastructure behind them that allows for the cheaper prices. FB posts like this are dangerous. They are ill informed but can basically be used to undermine people in our community.

I think a more legit problem is how some black businesses rely on the "Buy Black" initiative to get customers and then give a subpar service/product, but even in that regard, you have to be careful not to exaggerate how common those businesses are among black businesses overall.

I had to vote in the middle because there's two sides

most of them do tend to have higher prices than what we're accustomed to, but i understand this due to many reasons

small businesses period have it harder, they cant buy in as much bulk or get as much on consignment, they most likely dont own their space so theres rent, advertising etc...

so in order to get a good foot forward their shits just gotta be a little higher....got overhead, payroll, and their own bills.....we're not talking about anyone getting rich

now on the other hand!!! @Race Jones you mentioned service......we got some issues here and there with this

but I will say again that this is common with small businesses period, not just black......shipping times, return policies, shitty websites and apps, maybe a hint less than perfect professional phone vernacular, etc are all going to be issues that people will crucify them for

my homeboy just had a bad experience (im sure in a line of several) with a black owned auto paint shop.....didnt get all the details but I know he dropped his shit off and at least 3 weeks later posted a video driving off in his shit with not a lick of paint done saying "man I aint fuckin w/ these black businesses out here no more....tried to support, fuck ya'll" 😅 😬

Are Africans not black?

nah lol

we got them spots out here....there's beauty shops and then there's "african braiding" shops.....didnt even get into price which wasnt an issue, but they wouldnt braid my baby's head with no relaxer or added in hair

i asked a few beauty shops and they pretty much all told me that nobody wants to "just" braid because that doesnt make money.....you gotta be getting a wig, weave, some kinda 3 hour do for $125 and up or they aint answering right now lmao

my baby been getting the same simple home do's all year 😢

No. For every black business that is trying to get into the 'high fashion' world and sell t-shirts for $350...there are 10 black business trying to break into the 'street wear' world or just plain old fashioned designers who seem $30 t-shirts.

It depends on what you're looking for.

Cut the bullshit.

nah lol

we got them spots out here....there's beauty shops and then there's "african braiding" shops.....didnt even get into price which wasnt an issue, but they wouldnt braid my baby's head with no relaxer or added in hair

i asked a few beauty shops and they pretty much all told me that nobody wants to "just" braid because that doesnt make money.....you gotta be getting a wig, weave, some kinda 3 hour do for $125 and up or they aint answering right now lmao

Nigga you better learn how to braid some hair then. Lol.

Captialism sorts all this shit out.

ALL business know that there are alternatives to their product. So, if they want to stay competitive in most industries, they've gotta be price-friendly.

Thread title makes a generalisation, so I would say no.

OP's issue doesn't even seem to be pricing, more so, the poor disparity in the quality of product/service, relative to the price.

Which is a stereotype that's typically attributed to black businesses but I don't see it any more or less in businesses of other people.

i do it all except cornrows....just never sat down to learn the shit

her mama caught on super quick just off youtube 🙌

I'm currently trying step my game up in that department. My bro bear only 18 months so I got some time. I can't have her out here looking crazy though.

I'm currently trying step my game up in that department. My bro bear only 18 months so I got some time. I can't have her out here looking crazy though.

i'll save you some time off top

go ahead and buy them tiny bottles of expensive ass products

shit makes all the difference, unfortunately

nah lol

But African braiding shops are black owned.

so Africans ain’t black? That’s new to me.

Glad to see I wasn’t alone in doing hair.

Salut my Gs

*daps*

Now that I have a daughter and I have to spend time every morning getting her hair in order...I GET IT. The hair care routine between daughter and parent is more than just hair care. Shit is kinda sacred. If that makes sense.

Anyway, black owned shops charge what they should because these African shops be having hella help to reduce labor. So do these Asians.

when it’s one of us, yes we charging because we ain’t got no help.

*daps*

Now that I have a daughter and I have to spend time every morning getting her hair in order...I GET IT. The hair care routine between daughter and parent is more than just hair care. Shit is kinda sacred. If that makes sense.
i do.......we used to talk about everything .
nothing is better than daddy daughter time.

Back