Welcome To aBlackWeb

Apple will be shutting down iTunes

On top of that, people are really sleeping on all the music that's free on youtube.

And the sound quality isn't really that much different.

At least not enough to justify paying for something you can get for free.

Download from youtube, convert to mp3, put it on a thumbdrive.....computer.....phone.....or whatever.......and don't pay anything at all.

aight so im lost

why are we goating and cosigning this?

is everybody's goal really to get all music and entertainment for free?

ya'll dont wanna pay nothing to listen to music....or watch shows and movies.......am I right?

aight so im lost

why are we goating and cosigning this?

is everybody's goal really to get all music and entertainment for free?

ya'll dont wanna pay nothing to listen to music....or watch shows and movies.......am I right?

Not entirely.

The discussion is focused on streaming music.

Or rather, paying for streaming music.

The overall sentiment is that it doesn't make sense to pay a monthly fee for streaming music.........when you can access the same music for less cost.

Look at it this way.

You can pay however many dollars per month for a streaming service for 2-3 years or more, but if that streaming service goes out of business.........you don't have anything to show for it.

Meaning, all that money you paid to.......basically, just listen to music.......and you don't own any of that music at all.

Basically, whether it's free or not.......most of us are just saying that it's better to own than to stream.

At least in terms of music.

Not entirely.

The discussion is focused on streaming music.

Or rather, paying for streaming music.

The overall sentiment is that it doesn't make sense to pay a monthly fee for streaming music.........when you can access the same music for less cost.

Look at it this way.

You can pay however many dollars per month for a streaming service for 2-3 years or more, but if that streaming service goes out of business.........you don't have anything to show for it.

Meaning, all that money you paid to.......basically, just listen to music.......and you don't own any of that music at all.

Basically, whether it's free or not.......most of us are just saying that it's better to own than to stream.

At least in terms of music.

its up to you if you want to own the music from the streaming service or not

I download off the service all the time....those albums are on my device....I can cancel google and they'll be there

I dont get how thats not "owning" your purchase

it wasnt even about money for me, it just made it muuuuch easier to listen to whatever I want on the go

I listen to any and everything that comes out, download what I want.....$10 a month

im not fucking with flash drives or zip files or none of that bullshit

the only annoying thing about the streaming service at this point is that they still have edited versions of all the rap albums, so I dl the wrong one sometimes

its up to you if you want to own the music from the streaming service or not

I download off the service all the time....those albums are on my device....I can cancel google and they'll be there

I dont get how thats not "owning" your purchase

it wasnt even about money for me, it just made it muuuuch easier to listen to whatever I want on the go

I listen to any and everything that comes out, download what I want.....$10 a month

im not fucking with flash drives or zip files or none of that bullshit

the only annoying thing about the streaming service at this point is that they still have edited versions of all the rap albums, so I dl the wrong one sometimes

Yea I don’t think niggas realize you can download whatever you want from the streaming service

Who needs to own 40,000 songs tho?

giphy.gif

I'm pretty sure my pops has far more than that on vinyl. His entire vinyl jazz collection spans decades with complete collections of releases by cats like Thelonius Monk, Miles, Wes Montgomery, Art Blakey, Sun Ra (minus the majority of his El Saturn releases, those are near impossible to pull together), and a lot of other artists so I could see owning that much music and more.

Right now I stand at just over 10K, and that's less than half of what I used to have. I lost most of my music thanks to a hard drive failure back in 2010. I could easily hit 40K if I were to collect all the music I have an interest in.

OMG, who tf cares lol

some of ya'll think ya'll be dropping game by trying to sneak diss other people who like streaming services

has the thought ever occurred to any of ya'll that maybe, just maybe, they dont care they dont "own" the music outright?

if you go deeper, even when you used to buy dvd's and shit, you still didnt OWN the content on it. You owned the disc that had the content on it. But if you tried to make copies and sell it, by the letter of the law, that is illegal

my take on it...apple being apple and consolidating services. Nothing to see here

OMG, who tf cares lol

some of ya'll think ya'll be dropping game by trying to sneak diss other people who like streaming services

has the thought ever occurred to any of ya'll that maybe, just maybe, they dont care they dont "own" the music outright?

if you go deeper, even when you used to buy dvd's and shit, you still didnt OWN the content on it. You owned the disc that had the content on it. But if you tried to make copies and sell it, by the letter of the law, that is illegal

my take on it...apple being apple and consolidating services. Nothing to see here

Nobody thinks you actually "own" the music. You own the medium you purchased that it's recorded on for the purpose of listening to that music.

The difference here is that Sony/BMG, Arista, Atlantic, etc ain't finna come knocking on my door to demand that I stop playing music purchased because they no longer want me to listen to it on vinyl, CD, or cassette. However, should one of those labels decide it's in their best interest to pull their entire catalog from any given streaming service, especially if they wanted to launch their own (meaning you have to pay for yet another subscription) you're pretty much fucked. All that music is now out of your reach unless you're willing to pay for another service.

BTW, you're legally entitled to make backup copies of music you purchase. Selling those copies is illegal, but the act of making copies isn't. Plus, selling the whole medium isn't illegal either.

To consolidate means to make smaller or one. Breaking up iTunes into three different apps isn't consolidation.

Nobody thinks you actually "own" the music. You own the medium you purchased that it's recorded on for the purpose of listening to that music.

The difference here is that Sony/BMG, Arista, Atlantic, etc ain't finna come knocking on my door to demand that I stop playing music purchased because they no longer want me to listen to it on vinyl, CD, or cassette. However, should one of those labels decide it's in their best interest to pull their entire catalog from any given streaming service, especially if they wanted to launch their own (meaning you have to pay for yet another subscription) you're pretty much fucked. All that music is now out of your reach unless you're willing to pay for another service.

BTW, you're legally entitled to make backup copies of music you purchase. Selling those copies is illegal, but the act of making copies isn't. Plus, selling the whole medium isn't illegal either.

To consolidate means to make smaller or one. Breaking up iTunes into three different apps isn't consolidation.

this is my thing, why would they just arbitrarily remove music when its one of the easiest ways for them to make money?

whatever cents on the dollar they get from it, thats money being printed for them. Outside of a copyright issue or who actually owns the music, they not just gonna pack up shop one day and take music away, so this boogeyman you keep talking about only exists b/c you want to feel better about "owning" the music. I mean, i'm with you, tbh, but the sky is not falling

no one is gonna just make it to where you cant listen to what you want

a lot of music that's still not available via streaming is probably tied up in some court shit

ex. Any of B.G's cash money albums aren't on Google Play Music, but EVERYONE else's is

to your point, yes, i mispoke, with them spreading it over 3 apps, thats not reconciling. That's more fragmentation

this is my thing, why would they just arbitrarily remove music when its one of the easiest ways for them to make money?

whatever cents on the dollar they get from it, thats money being printed for them. Outside of a copyright issue or who actually owns the music, they not just gonna pack up shop one day and take music away, so this boogeyman you keep talking about only exists b/c you want to feel better about "owning" the music. I mean, i'm with you, tbh, but the sky is not falling

Tidal is on the verge of losing a lot of labels. As of last year it was found that they weren't paying the labels on time. If that keeps happening the labels are pulling their music from Tidal.

Anybody that ain't coming off the wiggums they owe in a timely manner is under threat of losing that label's catalog.

no one is gonna just make it to where you cant listen to what you want

Prince and Neil Young pulled their shit a few years ago. Prince pulled all of his music off every platform EXCEPT Tidal. Neil Young pulled his catalog because he said streaming sounds like shit. As of last year, Aaliyah, Tool, and a number of other high profile artists' music still isn't on streaming services. Dr Dre's catalog is only available on Apple's shit. Garth Brooks finally got convinced by Amazon to add his music to their service but before that it was nowhere to be found.

There's still a ton of music out there that intentionally can't be found on streaming services.

a lot of music that's still not available via streaming is probably tied up in some court shit

ex. Any of B.G's cash money albums aren't on Google Play Music, but EVERYONE else's is

With the exception of De La Soul, I can't think of any really. It's a case of you either want it up there or you don't. With BG, can't you find his stuff elsewhere?

to your point, yes, i mispoke, with them spreading it over 3 apps, thats not reconciling. That's more fragmentation

no worries here.

Tidal is on the verge of losing a lot of labels. As of last year it was found that they weren't paying the labels on time. If that keeps happening the labels are pulling their music from Tidal.

Anybody that ain't coming off the wiggums they owe in a timely manner is under threat of losing that label's catalog.

Prince and Neil Young pulled their shit a few years ago. Prince pulled all of his music off every platform EXCEPT Tidal. Neil Young pulled his catalog because he said streaming sounds like shit. As of last year, Aaliyah, Tool, and a number of other high profile artists' music still isn't on streaming services. Dr Dre's catalog is only available on Apple's shit. Garth Brooks finally got convinced by Amazon to add his music to their service but before that it was nowhere to be found.

There's still a ton of music out there that intentionally can't be found on streaming services.

With the exception of De La Soul, I can't think of any really. It's a case of you either want it up there or you don't. With BG, can't you find his stuff elsewhere?

no worries here.

well all of those things are exceptions to the rules no?

Prince owned his catalog, not a label, and he went with an exclusivity deal so i dont equate that to being the same

and what percent of the population would you assign to being audiophiles in the truest sense of the word?

I'm pulling this number out my ass, but lets say its less than 5% of the entire population. I dont think the other 95% are really that up on the differences in sound quality b/t file types.

Don't really take that much to amass 40,000 songs, especially if you getting albums.

Say if you a Jay-z fan, you getting 200+ songs w/ just his solo albums. That's not including his collab joints or any guest features you like.

You can get to 40,000 quick.
It's not like all these albums dont got filler content, why are people buying whole albums nowadays when u dont have to? On average, the best albums that come out have at most 6 really good songs and the rest....might be decent background music

It's not like all these albums dont got filler content, why are people buying whole albums nowadays when u dont have to? On average, the best albums that come out have at most 6 really good songs and the rest....might be decent background music

You think folks only brought new albums?

Plus I got a bunch of albums saved on Spotify that span almost 50 years

The stress over physical copies is funny to me. Owning a physical copy is just lame. Music is music. You can own 40k on one device rather than having 30k albums in a pile that really no one even would touch. It’s a collection for the sake of a collection for validation.

Old heads complained about their newspapers, 8tracks, Black& White antennae TVs etc.

Now they’re just junk taking up space and cost more than they’re worth to fix/maintain.

Video games are heading this way and cats pretend like they care about owning those discs that are more of a hassle in the end.

Getting scratched and ruined < digital/streamed games.

It creates less waste, less space etc. if one is a true collector, then cool, but most complain just for the hell of it.

The stress over physical copies is funny to me. Owning a physical copy is just lame. Music is music. You can own 40k on one device rather than having 30k albums in a pile that really no one even would touch. It’s a collection for the sake of a collection for validation.

Old heads complained about their newspapers, 8tracks, Black& White antennae TVs etc.

Now they’re just junk taking up space and cost more than they’re worth to fix/maintain.

Video games are heading this way and cats pretend like they care about owning those discs that are more of a hassle in the end.

Getting scratched and ruined < digital/streamed games.

It creates less waste, less space etc. if one is a true collector, then cool, but most complain just for the hell of it.

physical formats also sound better than streaming so there's that. Not even on some audiophile shit either but a regular ass CD simply sounds better.

Back