Welcome To aBlackWeb

An Awkward Moment at the Tattoo Shop

Should those who do not recognize themselves as descendants of Africa be denied African tattoos?

• Yes - And Here's Why

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • No - If they find beauty in it, why not?

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • Depends - And Here's why

Votes: 3 42.9%

• Total voters

Reesey

Real Thugs Eat Green Apple Jolly Ranchers.
Hello Loves,

I have been trying to track my heritage for over 15 years. I have done almost every DNA research accessible to me and have narrowed down my ancestry to the Akans in Ghana, who later migrated through Egypt. Though many have their doubts about the DNA testing, I choose to believe my results are true as many choose to believe in their white Jesus. lol (no diss, just being 100 with ya)

I just got one of many Adinkra tattoos yesterday and while there the most awkward thing happened.

So, the artist was almost done with my design when a younger white couple came in and while looking around saw my wrist and asked about it. I told them and she said that she has always wanted to get a tat of "The Right Eye" (or Eye of Ra).

I said that the symbol was nice as well and that I have many friends with that same tat.
She decided to get the tat.

Here is where it got awkward.

My tattoo artist, a white male, says to her "Are you of African decent?" To which she replied with a chuckle, "no I am not".

He then directs the rest of his statement to her husband/boyfriend or whatever saying "I do apologize sir but I will not render this symbol on your lady here for she is not of African decent and this is an African/Egyptian symbol".

The ENTIRE shop just paused. She was extremely insulted and embarrassed. Heck I was embarrassed for her. Before I give my thoughts on the situation or what transpired there after, I would love to hear your thoughts ABW Fam.

So... what say you?

cultural appropriation is a hot topic right now. some would argue that u r guilty of it too.

cultural appropriation is a hot topic right now. some would argue that u r guilty of it too.

I agree with you. But good thing I don't give a sh*t about what people think. lol..

That's another issue wrong with many people (not just our people) today as well. Worried about the thoughts of those who do not matter.

just as she can get any tat she wants, he as an artist can decide the what he won't do on general policy. not like he took her money, kept it, then said no.
I mean, it's her money. She should be able to get whatever she wants. Let her ass suffer the consequences later.
I'd never get something that represents white power on me.
they co-opted it in pretty recent history tho.

Niggaz get Chinese gibberish tatted on them every day b

Let them do what they want to....

I'm not against him not tattooing her. He has every right to deny her services.
She also has a right to get whatever tattoo she wants if she's paying for it. She's crazy regardless of who tattoos her.

I don't care what other people do with their bodies, if she wanted the tat the artist should have did it.

If it's deeper than money, I understand why he chose not to do it. If it was me, I would've taken the money, tattooed her and paid a bill or two.

Now for ya'll saying he should have done it.
What makes her getting that tat any different then them taking our music, hairstyles, dances etc?

#devilsadvocaterealquick

Now for ya'll saying he should have done it.
What makes her getting that tat any different then them taking our music, hairstyles, dances etc?

#devilsadvocaterealquick
arguably its worse cuz she can't take that tat off. she gon keep on claiming the symbols of heritage she aint got shit to do with, maybe long after she acknowledges how dumb it looks.
If it's deeper than money, I understand why he chose not to do it. If it was me, I would've taken the money, tattooed her and paid a bill or two.
maybe he don't need the money? might be freeing. able to make ethical calls like that.

For those who say that he has the right to deny her services, would you have said the same if he denied to serve a black man/woman or would you yell "racists" and look for some Equal Rights movement/march?

For those who say that he has the right to deny her services, would you have said the same if he denied to serve a black man/woman or would you yell "racists" and look for some Equal Rights movement/march?

No. I'd probably be mad but it's other artist out here.

My whole thing is accountability...

If they choose to do something like that, then they subject themselves to whatever attention it brings....

denying business from people BECAUSE of their ethnicity falls under racial discrimination. that's protected under the law.

denying a particular kind of business because it falls under your definition of cultural appropriation is not the same. she could've asked for a tat of a flower as an alternative and he might have gone through with it. if he still said "no, you're white", then that comparison wld hold water.

denying business from people BECAUSE of their ethnicity falls under racial discrimination. that's protected under the law.

denying a particular kind of business because it falls under your definition of cultural appropriation is not the same. she could've asked for a tat of a flower as an alternative and he might have gone through with it. if he still said "no, you're white", then that comparison wld hold water.

I agree with you, but the majority of our people do not see logic when they are presented with similar situations. We JUMP at the change to scream discrimination in situations that are not, which then dilutes any solidified arguments we may have in the future.

I only point out how many of us, as African Americans, would have reacted in a similar situation yet we do not act in this way in reverse.

Back