Welcome To aBlackWeb

Alabama woman charged w her unborn baby’s death after she miscarries due to being shot

VIBE

Welcome to the New Era
A pregnant woman was shot in the stomach. She was charged in her baby’s death.

A 27-year-old Alabama woman was indicted on manslaughter charges Wednesday for the shooting death of her own unborn child, even though, police say, another woman pulled the trigger.

The moment quickly became a flash point for abortion rights advocates as an example of restrictive abortion laws in Alabama criminalizing actions that may endanger a fetus.

Marshae Jones of Birmingham was five months pregnant on Dec. 4 when an argument broke out between her and another woman outside a Dollar General, AL.com reported. The fight, which police said was over the fetus’s father, led 23-year-old Ebony Jemison to shoot Jones in the stomach. The mother survived the shooting, but it resulted in a miscarriage.

Jemison was charged with manslaughter, but a grand jury failed to indict her, and the charge was dismissed, according to AL.com. At the time, police alleged that Jones started the argument and that Jemison shot Jones in self-defense. Pleasant Grove police Lt. Danny Reid told the outlet a grand jury would consider charges for the mother as well.

“The investigation showed that the only true victim in this was the unborn baby,” Reid said in December, in the days following the shooting. “It was the mother of the child who initiated and continued the fight which resulted in the death of her own unborn baby.”
On Wednesday, a grand jury indicted Jones on a manslaughter charge, AL.com reported. She was being held Thursday on a $50,000 at the Jefferson County Jail, records show. It is not clear whether Jones has an attorney.

“Let’s not lose sight that the unborn baby is the victim here,” Reid said. “She had no choice in being brought unnecessarily into a fight where she was relying on her mother for protection.”

Pleasant Grove police and the Bessemer Cutoff district attorney did not return a request for comment on the case and charges.

Abortion rights groups quickly seized on the incident as a harbinger of how laws applied in Alabama restricting abortions may open the door to charges in non-abortion cases, though it was unclear Thursday if the new policies signed into law last month were relevant to Jones’s charges.
“The state of Alabama has proven yet again that the moment a person becomes pregnant their sole responsibility is to produce a live, healthy baby and that it considers any action a pregnant person takes that might impede in that live birth to be a criminal act,’’ said Amanda Reyes, the executive director of the Yellowhammer Fund, part of a nationwide umbrella advocacy group.

“Tomorrow, it will be another black woman, maybe for having a drink while pregnant. And after that, another, for not obtaining adequate prenatal care,” Reyes said in a statement, AL.com reported.

NARAL Pro-Choice America President Ilyse Hogue said on Twitter: “This what 2019 looks like for a pregnant woman of color without means in a red state. This is now.”

She's a hood booger to start a fight while pregnant but I think it's crazy to slap her a charge. Guess them crackers saw the opportunity to kill 2 birds with 1 stone.

Yeah. This is bullshit. She was her Thot shit, amdn a manslaugher charge is beyond ridiculous.

i forgot to say...

this lucky nigga #3 this summer...

not only did he get a free abortion in an abortionless state... his crazy ass ex-baby mother going to jail for the foreseeable future

niggz catching W's all over the place this year

I’m still tripping at them trying to justify this in any way possible.
She's a hood booger to start a fight while pregnant but I think it's crazy to slap her a charge. Guess them crackers saw the opportunity to kill 2 birds with 1 stone.
thats fucked up
Yeah. This is bullshit. She was her Thot shit, amdn a manslaugher charge is beyond ridiculous.

Technically what she did falls under Criminally Negligent Homicide.

Alabama Code Title 13A. Criminal Code § 13A-6-4

(a) A person commits the crime of criminally negligent homicide if he or she causes the death of another person by criminal negligence.

(b) The jury may consider statutes and ordinances regulating the actor's conduct in determining whether the actor is culpably negligent under subsection (a).

(c) Criminally negligent homicide is a Class A misdemeanor, except in cases in which the criminally negligent homicide is caused by the driver or operator of a vehicle or vessel who is driving or operating the vehicle or vessel in violation of Section 32-5A-191 or 32-5A-191.3; in these cases, criminally negligent homicide is a Class C felony.

It wasn't just an argument, it was a full-on fight. Marshae initiated the fight despite the fact that she was 5 months pregnant. She forced Ebony to defend herself and, because Alabama is a "Stand Your Ground" state, she ended up shooting Marshae.

The point here, however, is that Marshae acted with reckless abandon while pregnant. Her duty is to protect her unborn child by keeping herself out of harms way. She initiated the fight that ended in the death of her unborn child. She is 100% at fault here.

And it turns out that she pulled the heat on the chick that ended up shooting back in self defense, so, yes, she completely deserved getting charges.

I...said...what....I said.

:sup:

So, a mother that gets in a car drunk or high with her kid, drives down the block and gets into an accident that kills her child and no one else doesn't deserve to be charged for her child's death?

'cause that's pretty much the same scenario here: A mother's negligent, reckless actions directly caused the death of her child.

:sup:

So, a mother that gets in a car drunk or high with her kid, drives down the block and gets into an accident that kills her child and no one else doesn't deserve to be charged for her child's death?

'cause that's pretty much the same scenario here: A mother's negligent, reckless actions directly caused the death of her child.

I said what I said.
Not sure how many times I must repeat myself.

DA to announce decision in the case of a pregnant woman indicted in her baby's death after shooting in Alabama

(CNN) — An Alabama prosecutor will announce her decision Wednesday on the recommended charge against Marshae Jones, who was indicted in the death of her unborn child in a shooting after a fight.

Jones, 27, was five months pregnant on December 4 when she fought with another woman outside a Dollar General store in Pleasant Grove, west of Birmingham, according to CNN affiliate WBMA. Jones was shot in the stomach.

A Jefferson County grand jury indicted Jones last week on a manslaughter charge, based on her alleged role in starting the fight that led to the gunfire, WBMA reported.
Jones was shot in the stomach. A Jefferson County grand jury indicted Jones last week on a manslaughter charge, based on her alleged role in starting the fight that led to the gunfire, WBMA reported.

Lynneice Washington, the Jefferson County district attorney who would handle the case, is expected to announce her decision in a press conference, according to her chief assistant district attorney Valerie Hicks Hale. Washington can either proceed with the grand jury's recommended charge, reduce the charge or drop it.

An attorney representing Jones filed a motion Monday to dismiss all charges against her. The charges are "completely unreasonable and unjust" and are based on a "novel legal theory not available or supported under Alabama law," the motion said.
Manslaughter is a Class B felony punishable by up to 20 years in prison.

The dispute between Jones and Ebony Jemison involved the baby's father, AL.com reported. Pleasant Grove police Lt. Danny Reid told AL.com the fight caused Jemison to react and defend herself. She was charged with murder and attempted murder, but those charges were dismissed, WBMA reported.

Back