ABW Abby: My mom asked for a divorce. My dad made his mother his pension beneficiary — and then he killed himself.

DOS_patos

Unverified Legion of Trill member
Apr 4, 2017
Now my mom and grandma are feuding. Who’s right?

On May 30, 2018 my mother moved out all her belongings and informed my father that she was leaving him after 30 years of marriage, and that she would be seeking a divorce.

No papers had been filed at that point. The next day my father went to work and claimed that he was divorced and wanted to change the beneficiary of his pension plan over to his mother instead of his wife. They believed him and let him change the beneficiary. The following day, he took all of his guns over to his mother’s house and took his own life.

Now my grandmother and my mother are fighting over the pension. I know he didn’t list me as the beneficiary as he knew I would share the money with my mom if she needed it. My grandmother and mother both have lawyers, and they both say that they are going to get this pension. It’s been dragging on for nearly two years.

Last month, they finally had a deposition during which my grandmother lied under oath. That required me to do a deposition. They asked painful questions, as I have not quite come to terms with my dad’s suicide. I don’t want this to get dragged into a long saga, where I have to go to court again. I don’t expect to get any of this pension, nor do I want any of it. It was my dad’s money.

Mom probably would have been entitled to half if they divorced. The way I see it grandma should get half and my mom should get half. What’s your opinion?

Tired of being caught in the middle

ABW....give this person advice