Welcome To aBlackWeb

I mean that’s a realistic ratio

Bruh, what I'm saying is EVERY player they follow is gay and that's their whole character. Hell, Max was dealing with racial and sex discrimination and they STILL made her story within her community "I'm gay and can't tell anybody".

A character can be gay and still have an interesting unique story to tell. But they're all telling the same story. Just gets real repetitive.

We're dumb as hell but you don't know what decade WW2 was in, haha.

The same straight women that play softball now would be interested in playing. And most of the women on the team aren't married, so they weren't leaving behind a husband/family. Some of the ones that are married have a husband off at war, so again not leaving him behind.

Every character they follow has the same main story... "I'm gay but can't tell people". That's Max, Carson, Greta, Jess, Mita, and Jo's story (so far, I'm still watching). And those are the only players they really follow. Kinda boring having every character have the same story. Be the same way if they were all hiding being illiterate or some shit.
Have you watched the movie or the doc the characters of the movie were based on? The team was half lesbian and half straight with some of the straight women being recruited specifically for the image cuz they didnt want a bunch of dykes as the face of the league.

It wasn't just that they were gay it's that they're from different circumstances surrounding their sexuality. Max being black and family attitudes toward her, Carson being married and basically just coming out and not really knowing how to move, Greta and Jo being experienced yet limited bc of safety/fear.

The main focus being on the gay characters should be a given. Like it's no point in even pointing it out. Wow the main characters are gay. So? Lol

Have you watched the movie or the doc the characters of the movie were based on? The team was half lesbian and half straight with some of the straight women being recruited specifically for the image cuz they didnt want a bunch of dykes as the face of the league.

It wasn't just that they were gay it's that they're from different circumstances surrounding their sexuality. Max being black and family attitudes toward her, Carson being married and basically just coming out and not really knowing how to move, Greta and Jo being experienced yet limited bc of safety/fear.

The main focus being on the gay characters should be a given. Like it's no point in even pointing it out. Wow the main characters are gay. So? Lol

Wtf? The main focus being on the gay characters should be a given? It's a show based on a movie that had damn near nothing to do with gay characters...so how's it a given that the show will be focused on gay characters? And yes, agreed... the main characters are gay...so? They haven't done a lot of development beyond that, and I'm on episode 9 or something around there. That's what's wack.

I already explained i don't care about how many gay women there are. Its that that's the only focus of the show. And it's the same story over and over. Their varying levels of comfort being open about their sexuality isn't really a variety of characters.

Even with what you said... why am I not seeing the story of the underperforming player that's just there because she's pretty, and how that impacts how her teammates treat her, and how she may feel about being used just for her looks.

Lol against the grain often. And I think comparing straight women today to women in the 40s is way different. Look how we view most women in team sports today somebody being gay is almost expected. I think the show is just showing how many folks were in the closet for a very long time.

Oh boy. Here we go.

giphy.gif

It's not fuckin with the movie. That shit's a classic to me. Still give it a watch, but not with that expectation.

It's a story of lesbians hiding their sexuality with a baseball theme.

Yea. Alotta todays period tv series have a closet "gay" character. Who has to struggle in silence thru that time period. But usually there is one woke character who they can confide in.

Wtf? The main focus being on the gay characters should be a given? It's a show based on a movie that had damn near nothing to do with gay characters...so how's it a given that the show will be focused on gay characters? And yes, agreed... the main characters are gay...so? They haven't done a lot of development beyond that, and I'm on episode 9 or something around there. That's what's wack.

I already explained i don't care about how many gay women there are. Its that that's the only focus of the show. And it's the same story over and over. Their varying levels of comfort being open about their sexuality isn't really a variety of characters.

Even with what you said... why am I not seeing the story of the underperforming player that's just there because she's pretty, and how that impacts how her teammates treat her, and how she may feel about being used just for her looks.
Are you unaware that the movie is an iconic queer film? If they made a show out of it 30 yrs later why would they not lean more into characters who were navigating being gay and black? If there's another season I'm assuming they'll tell other players' stories, but it absolutely should be a given that with the limitations of the movie and the league of the time that the show is gonna tell the stories that the movie couldn't for the first season.

One side is missing that no one is complaining that the characters are gay it’s the fact that it’s the only driving narrative for every main character.

The other side is missing the overall theme of the show. It’s not that they are “only focused on the queerness of the characters.” The show IS ABOUT the queerness of the characters as they navigate their sexualities in a less tolerant 1940s. Baseball is just the window dressing.

Now what leaves people slightly taken back is that they marketed this as being much like the film in that we’d get a story about women achieving acceptance, for playing what is viewed as a man’s sport, while the nation copes with the emotional pains of WW2. A Rosie the Riveter / gender norms narrative if you will.

That’s what the film was about. That’s what this was marketed as.

So the virtue signaling of some folks’ confusion can stop. Some of this does come across as a little direct and on the nose for people that only tuned in due to a love for the movie. Lets not pretend it isn’t.

And those lost over the sexuality storylines need to understand that this portrayal is about gay women in an America amidst a culture change. That’s why it’s constant. It’s the story.

One side is missing that no one is complaining that the characters are gay it’s the fact that it’s the only driving narrative for every main character.

The other side is missing the overall theme of the show. It’s not that they are “only focused on the queerness of the characters.” The show IS ABOUT the queerness of the characters as they navigate their sexualities in a less tolerant 1940s. Baseball is just the window dressing.

Now what leaves people slightly taken back is that they marketed this as being much like the film in that we’d get a story about women achieving acceptance, for playing what is viewed as a man’s sport, while the nation copes with the emotional pains of WW2. A Rosie the Riveter / gender norms narrative if you will.

That’s what the film was about. That’s what this was marketed as.

So the virtue signaling of some folks’ confusion can stop. Some of this does come across as a little direct and on the nose for people that only tuned in due to a love for the movie. Lets not pretend it isn’t.

And those lost over the sexuality storylines need to understand that this portrayal is about gay women in an America amidst a culture change. That’s why it’s constant. It’s the story.

Good post. And correct with what I'm saying. This was just marketed as A League of Their Own, so I expected it to be generally like the movie. But they made a movie about female homosexuality in the 40's and just slapped an A League of Their Own sticker on it.

If they wanted to just tell the lesbian experience in that era...cool. But don't call it A League of Their Own and follow the Rockford Peaches around. Call it AAGPBL or name it after one of the other teams...Blue Sox.

Watched the finale last night. Great episode.

Actually went beyond the character's sexuality. Max having to leave her best friend and family to chase her dream. Clance and Max's mom letting Max go even though they didn't want to. Shirley breaking out of her scared judgmental shell. The real reason Max's mom stopped talking to her sister being that she felt she abandoned her. Their friendships being more important than winning. Greta getting a job from that lady that she kinda idolized.

That's what I was saying earlier in my criticism. There's more to the characters than being gay in the 40's. The finale finally looked at those other aspects.

Back