A 42-year inmate’s choice: Exoneration fight or ‘deal with the devil’ for freedom

DMorgan

You niggas is EXCOMMUNICADO!!!
Feb 14, 2018
D.C. don't mean Dodge City!!
In October, he left the Louisiana State Penitentiary at Angola after serving 42 years of a life sentence for murder. He’d maintained his innocence from the start, and his departure should have been a joyous moment. Lawyers working on his case had discovered fingerprint evidence previously concealed by prosecutors that pointed to a wrongful conviction.

Yet Brooks, now 62, didn’t walk out of Angola an innocent man. To secure his freedom, he had to “make a deal with the devil.” Rather than languish even longer as he tried to clear his name, he pleaded guilty to a lesser charge, forfeiting his right to sue, in exchange for immediate release.

“I cried at night in Angola,” confesses Brooks, sitting on his couch next to a pillow with “Blessed” stitched on its front. “I ain’t never thought I was going to get out. So I took the deal. It ain’t right, but that’s the way of the world. It’s a crooked world like that.”

Orleans Parish District Attorney Leon Cannizzaro made the offer to Brooks just before a court hearing on whether his conviction should be set aside. Brooks agonized over what to do.
If he pleaded to manslaughter and three counts of armed robbery — admitting to something he denied as vehemently as ever — the district attorney’s office would not be held accountable and he could not seek any compensation for his 42 years behind bars. If he rejected the offer, the consequences were implicit: Prosecutors would fight him at every turn.

Cannizzaro declined an interview request, saying in a statement that Brooks’s case had been reexamined and his guilt confirmed. He defended his prosecutors, called the conviction “properly attained” and explained that Brooks was released only because he appeared to be “rehabilitated and will not go out to re-offend.”

“If he and his attorneys truly believed in his innocence, they could have pursued post-conviction claims,” the prosecutor added. “Notably, they did not.”
His office has secured five such plea deals in the past eight years. He has issued similar statements after each.

• Ether
Reactions: Chicity
This is a form of coercion.
I'd sue to prove my innocence and sue for coercion.

Yes,62 now...But maybe something can come out of it for his family he doesn't know due to the wrongful conviction.

I would urge him to push on.
Don't let the devil win twice

Let me preface this by saying that I'm aware that this is very easy for me to say, as a nigga who WASN'T in the joint for 4 decades, now with the chance to get out:

Fuck that. After all them years, I'm not exchanging the only thing I have left - my honor - to get out of jail earlier, rather than waiting for the new evidence to run it's course and get me out. Even if they say that they absolutely will NOT let me out without a confession, after 42 years, they can suck my dick. I'm good. This is home. I didn't do the shit and I'm not saying I am.

That deal might've been acceptable 20 years ago, after 22 years. Now? Na.

They could make his time hell if he chose to stay. I'd have probably done the same thing. Sad, sad state of affairs

Last edited:
Reactions: silverfoxx
I'd like to know what happened to the bitch ass prosecutors.. smfh

Nothing happened. Especially since he pleaded guilty to get out. The guilty plea basically absolved the state of any wrongdoing. That's why they press people to either take a plea to time served to get out or tell them if you drop your lawsuit against us we will grant your immediate release.

My peoples did 20 years on a 30 year sentence in the Feds and they told him to drop his lawsuit against the government and they would grant his immediate release.

They put you in a fucked up spot. Either stay locked up and fighting a case against a system and people that cheated you already or just say fuck it I want to come home so I'll drop my lawsuit.

• Ether
Reactions: Inori