Who Should Win NBA MVP?

• Anthony Edwards

• SGA

• Luka

• Giannis

• Jokic

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.
This is a pretty good video all around, but I'm posting it here because I believe there was some earlier discussion about how the Eurostep and other moves common in today's game would have been treated back in the 90s and before. The video shows a few examples of players trying to do that shit back then and getting called. The whole video is worth a watch but I've timestamped to the part relevant to this post.

Posted on the last page brother

Regarding the euro step

If any ref call it a travel in any era would be a terrible ref because it’s only two steps which has always been legal.

Umm,watch the video,he makes a case for both old heads and new school cats.

It's a good video. I only disagree with him saying that the modern era is better than the older eras. I think better is a bad word to use since that's subjective on what style of play you like. The modern game has more consistently high-level offense than previous eras. I think that's fair to say.

He makes the point that a lot of the lower level players in past eras couldn't even exist in the modern era. I agree with that.

I'd simply ask if the lower level players of today could exist back then. Great players like Steph would find a way to be successful in every era, but would a 2024 benchwarmer really be able to get off without the ease of movement and anti-handchecking rules in place?

It's a good video. I only disagree with him saying that the modern era is better than the older eras. I think better is a bad word to use since that's subjective on what style of play you like. The modern game has more consistently high-level offense than previous eras. I think that's fair to say.

He makes the point that a lot of the lower level players in past eras couldn't even exist in the modern era. I agree with that.

I'd simply ask if the lower level players of today could exist back then. Great players like Steph would find a way to be successful in every era, but would a 2024 benchwarmer really be able to get off without the ease of movement and anti-handchecking rules in place?
Yes they would be great with ease.

Folks couldn’t not hit open shots back then.

Plus it was illegal defense was a thing bsck then, dudes would eat in the past era.

No double team coming below the free throw line would be easy work for dudes today.

Yes they would be great with ease.

Folks couldn’t not hit open shots back then.

Plus it was illegal defense was a thing bsck then, dudes would eat in the past era.

No double team coming below the free throw line would be easy work for dudes today.

That's the thing. They wouldn't have as many wide open shots back then. Kerr had the highest 3 pt accuracy in history, and that came largely because he had MJ acting as a black hole for the defense and a stacked team in San Antonio. If you're saying that the lower level players from today could be good role players back then, I agree. If you're telling me that lower level players in today's era would get off the same way they do in today's game, I don't know.

That's the thing. They wouldn't have as many wide open shots back then. Kerr had the highest 3 pt accuracy in history, and that came largely because he had MJ acting as a black hole for the defense and a stacked team in San Antonio. If you're saying that the lower level players from today could be good role players back then, I agree. If you're telling me that lower level players in today's era would get off the same way they do in today's game, I don't know.
The defense of past eras are highly overrated and wasn’t really that good. The lateral quickness of dudes was horrible.

They couldn’t guard sideways and was only effective against players going towards the goal.

That’s why soon as dudes that had a few moves and side to side quickness dudes couldn’t not hang.

The defense of past eras are highly overrated and wasn’t really that good. The lateral quickness of dudes was horrible.

They couldn’t guard sideways and was only effective against players going towards the goal.

That’s why soon as dudes that had a few moves and side to side quickness dudes couldn’t not hang.

That's not completely accurate. People always say shit like that, but there wasn't a spike in scoring until after they removed hand checking.

It always seems to me that when people say certain things were overrated back then, they forget changes were made between then and now. Again, Adam Silver himself said they put in rules specifically for people like Steph. Steph is a monster, so he'd get off no matter what, but you telling me the Steph wannabes would do just as well without the rules that were put in place to make sure they were successful? That doesn't seem logical man.

Hell, just look at Luka. Dude is racking up the stats. He said himself that all he does is count seconds until the bigs have to move out the lane and then he pushes. He couldn't have done that in the 90s. If nothing else, the lanes were clogged back then more often than not.

That's not completely accurate. People always say shit like that, but there wasn't a spike in scoring until after they removed hand checking.

It always seems to me that when people say certain things were overrated back then, they forget changes were made between then and now. Again, Adam Silver himself said they put in rules specifically for people like Steph. Steph is a monster, so he'd get off no matter what, but you telling me the Steph wannabes would do just as well without the rules that were put in place to make sure they were successful? That doesn't seem logical man.

Hell, just look at Luka. Dude is racking up the stats. He said himself that all he does is count seconds until the bigs have to move out the lane and then he pushes. He couldn't have done that in the 90s. If nothing else, the lanes were clogged back then more often than not.
Lmao. Luka has elite short area burst with an elite handle and elite size.

He can shot and everything else

Lmao. Luka has elite short area burst with an elite handle and elite size.

He can shot and everything else

I'm not saying Luka isn't great, but how you going to argue with the man himself? He said the NBA is easier to score in than the Euro league because all he has to do is wait until the lane clears out and then he can make his move.

Again, he'd be good in any era, but his strategy would have had to change in the 90s, not because the players were better but because he couldn't rely on that particular rule.

Back