Welcome To aBlackWeb

2021/22 NBA Season Thread

All players getting a vote wild lol. I wouldn’t mind a system where former award winners get a vote tho. (Obviously make it they can’t vote for themselves if active).

Some dork from the Ringer or Boston globe can vote (biased if they so choose as well) but Hakeem can’t. Add em to the mix

lol @ blaming players for practicing threes when the spacing is needed to run these offenses and bigs literally get drafted because of their ability to stretch the floor

That’s what makes the Warriors fun to watch: the way they pass the ball and their spacing. Unfortunately it doesn’t look like my Heat will advance to the finals this season but the Warriors offense vs Celtics defense in the finals looks fascinating

Bigs have different skill sets fam it's a different game

I think the bigger issue with everyone taken 3s, is the basketball i.Q. has gone down

Players forgot how value possessions or take advantage of mismatches...

I am ok w players taken 3s but fools make their game much harder than it has to be with only taken 3s..

I think the bigger issue with everyone taken 3s, is the basketball i.Q. has gone down

Players forgot how value possessions or take advantage of mismatches...

I am ok w players taken 3s but fools make their game much harder than it has to be with only taken 3s..

IQ has definitely not gone down.

Absurd take.

IQ has definitely not gone down.

Absurd take.

You can't be serious?

How many times have you seen a team up big or struggling to score or take a high percentage shot to either let the other team come back, cut into a big into a lead or out right lose the game or quarter.

Pass up getting a easy basket that could of stopped a run or made a possession easier...

Bruh..

I admit I didn’t read the article but if Mr. Worthy is stating that is how most of the league is, it would be a Broad sweeping misrepresentation of the league.

yes, the 3 is a heavily used weapon these days but it’s a ton of skilled big guys who can shoot, pass, and dribble like something we have rarely seen before.

a good portion of the highest and most efficient scorers in the league right now are really good at hitting mid range shots, as well as driving to the hoop.

For the guys making this about big men when it was never said:

During an interview Wednesday on the Stoney & Jansen Show, Lakers legend and Hall of Famer James Worthy, a three-time NBA champ, was asked what he thinks of today's game and its heavy reliance on the three. And Worthy said the NBA has been diminished by "the rush of guys not going to college" -- or at least not going for more than a year.

"I mean, Kareem had four years with John Wooden, Michael Jordan and I had three years with Dean Smith, Isiah (Thomas) had some years with Bobby Knight. So you learned the fundamentals," Worthy said. "Not only that, you learned how to live. You learned how to balance your freaking checkbook in college, there’s a lot of things. When you don’t get that, guys are coming to the NBA who are not fundamentally sound. All they do is practice threes, lift weights, get tattoos, tweet and go on social media. That’s it.

"So you don’t have that sound player; you have an athletic player. And that’s what’s happening to the game. It’s a lot of ISO and looking for mismatches. Bill Russell told me one time, they had five options off of one play. You don’t see that anymore."

You can't be serious?

How many times have you seen a team up big or struggling to score or take a high percentage shot to either let the other team come back, cut into a big into a lead or out right lose the game or quarter.

Pass up getting a easy basket that could of stopped a run or made a possession easier...

Bruh..

I think that falls on coaching though.

yes some players can get caught up in just jacking any type of shot, but a well coached team will have a staff that knows how to balance letting the players do them and also reigning in the bad shots.

a good coach isn’t gonna over coach, but they are going to run a play or two when stuff gets stagnant or out of control

For the guys making this about big men when it was never said:

During an interview Wednesday on the Stoney & Jansen Show, Lakers legend and Hall of Famer James Worthy, a three-time NBA champ, was asked what he thinks of today's game and its heavy reliance on the three. And Worthy said the NBA has been diminished by "the rush of guys not going to college" -- or at least not going for more than a year.

"I mean, Kareem had four years with John Wooden, Michael Jordan and I had three years with Dean Smith, Isiah (Thomas) had some years with Bobby Knight. So you learned the fundamentals," Worthy said. "Not only that, you learned how to live. You learned how to balance your freaking checkbook in college, there’s a lot of things. When you don’t get that, guys are coming to the NBA who are not fundamentally sound. All they do is practice threes, lift weights, get tattoos, tweet and go on social media. That’s it.

"So you don’t have that sound player; you have an athletic player. And that’s what’s happening to the game. It’s a lot of ISO and looking for mismatches. Bill Russell told me one time, they had five options off of one play. You don’t see that anymore."

without me reading he pretty much touched on what I said. Lmao.

most good teams and coaching staffs do a good job of helping most players to be the best player they can be.

If the player adheres to the coaching regiment and puts in the work

You think what teams have to do on a play by play basis on offense and defense is easier today?

?? I am not calling a player dumb like they can't understand the game. But you can't sit there and tell me there aren't times they dont make possession harder than they have be.

I am not going to the extreme of worthy or say bigs need to stay down low but to not recognize players over do w the 3s at times is crazy to..

And the plays in basketball haven't change. Yes the skill of the players has change and the plays are more dynamic, but if you seen one pick and roll you seen them all.

You can't be serious?

Bruh..

Same goes for “back in the day”

I think that falls on coaching though.

yes some players can get caught up in just jacking any type of shot, but a well coached team will have a staff that knows how to balance letting the players do them and also reigning in the bad shots.

a good coach isn’t gonna over coach, but they are going to run a play or two when stuff gets stagnant or out of control

At this level these players have played bball long enough or should have played long enough to know, hey we are up 20 late In the 3rd. We do not have to have every possession be a 3.

Yes coaches guidance are needed too. And I am not saying these players have to be perfect everytime down the floor w their decisions...just at times their shot selections isn't good.

Same goes for “back in the day”

I am sure players f'd possessions w stupid shots back in the day I am not debating era vs era

I am saying

Milwaukee/Boston games..right after game 1..after the Cs took 50 threes, both Tatum n Brown said there were shots especially mid-range that were there to take, but they kept settling for 3s..

They made my point...

Like I not saying players or bigs shouldn't take 3s..I don't know why ppl can't see the ups and downs to it being done so often..

Last edited:
And I also know especially for bigs settling for that shot at times helps so they don't have to go down low or drive to the basket and get beat up...

I aint mad at that at all.

NCAA coaches are recruiting 1 and done players openly so that notion of playing for a legendary coach that is gonna teach you the fundamentals of basketball and life is dead. The fundamentally sound players coming out of college are the ones that had no chance to go pro until after their JR. or SR. year. With a few exceptions.

If I had to point the finger at bad basketball, I'm pointing it at AAU.

Back