Welcome To aBlackWeb

2020 NBA Draft thread

While college basketball players may capture more fame domestically, international prospects are fundamentally essential to the NBA draft.
Based on research conducted by HoopsHype, the average NBA draft over the past four years has featured 9.3 players who played basketball overseas the season prior to their selection. As such, we looked at the top international prospects (plus others worth considering) most likely to hear their names called in the 2020 NBA Draft.
For the sake of consistency in evaluation, American-born prospects who participated in the Australian NBL’s Next Stars program (e.g. LaMelo Ball, RJ Hampton and Terry Armstrong) were not included in this exercise.

Chad Ford on LaMelo Ball: Plenty of concerns from NBA teams about him. He’s not an explosive athlete. He’s been a really streaky shooter with poor form on a shot. He struggled as an on-the-ball defender and he carries some of that baggage of the Ball name with him as well. And that certainly is working against him.

– via Stitcher.com

Chad Ford: Lot of teams that I’ve spoken with, they don’t have LaMelo No. 1, Edwards is the guy that is often the other guy that you hear at No. 1, his range was exactly the same as LaMelo’s. I heard him as high as one never heard him lower than five. Chad Ford on Killian Hayes: He’s been mentioned anywhere from three to 10 on the NBA teams that I’ve that I’ve spoken with, and he really has seemed to rise over the last couple of months as well.

– via Stitcher.com

The 2020 NBA Draft and year will forever be linked with the outbreak of the COVID-19 corona virus. The draft class unfortunately was unable to experience March Madness and there will always be a feeling of unfinished business and a lack of satisfaction for players and fans alike as the outbreak took hold and the health of the US and world population took precedence over college athletics and the sports world. After two months of quarantine, there is hope that the NBA season can conclude and an NBA champion will eventually be crowned. Exactly how the pandemic will affect the 2020 NBA draft remains to be seen, but teams have already done interviews over the internet with numerous draft prospects. The 2020 NBA draft figures to be held remotely, similar to the 2020 NFL draft. The NBA draft combine and even individual workouts are uncertainties at this point in mid-May. The top 4 picks have yet to be determined by the NBA Draft lottery, which has been pushed back, as a decision on the NBA playoffs is still pending.

To watch LaMelo Ball is to experience firsthand a roller coaster -- and all the ups, downs, twists and turns that come with it. The 18-year-old point guard prospect is David Blaine on the court with dribbling skills that dazzle and no-look passes that will have your mouth agape in amazement. He has a flair for the dramatic that will draw you in and a sweet shooting touch from anywhere on the court that will keep you engaged. Anytime he has the ball he's a threat to score.
But all those traits have their own trade-offs. They're equal parts mesmerizing and infuriating at times. He can do more than anyone in this draft as a playmaker, but sometimes tries to do too much. There's substance and flash, and yet sometimes it's hard to differentiate between the two. All that talent is brimming out, evident but unharnessed.

Is there more substance than pizazz? Should some down-on-their-luck team stake their future to a teenager with some perceptible holes in their game? As the draft approaches later this year, those are some of the many questions teams will ask themselves when evaluating his game. Here's the answers we came up with as we evaluated -- and graded -- each facet of his game

I like Hughes . I think he can develop into a solid role player that can a have decent career in the league.

I think this draft is going to have a lot of good role players to be found even as late as mid to bottom 2nd round. Alot of people are down on it because it lacks star power but I think it might end up being kind of deep as far as having actual NBA players in it.

We will see though.....

I agree, especially on the defense end. They still got Edwards from Georgia going #1. Is that a sure thing?

Nothing's a sure thing..... the draft lottery hasn't even occurred so nobody knows whose even drafting #1 yet.

If Golden State gets the #1 pick I don't think they would draft his first. But you never know honestly what any of these teams are going to do

Nothing's a sure thing..... the draft lottery hasn't even occurred so nobody knows whose even drafting #1 yet.

If Golden State gets the #1 pick I don't think they would draft his first. But you never know honestly what any of these teams are going to do

You're right so many things can change. I'd love to see my Knicks get Lamelo Ball fingers crossed.

Back