Welcome To aBlackWeb

2019 BET AWARDS THREAD

Props to Tyler Perry with that powerful speech.....smh at the camera man zooming in on Lena Waithe agreeing with him when she just recently threw Will Smith and Denzel under the bus

Last edited:
Didn't watch Nipsey Hussle funeral and I missed the tribute last night. Based on the comments of his mom speeches I'm glad I didn't see either one.

Almost forgot the realest shit said on the awards last night.

That was when Regina Hall told the 100% truth when she repeated the words of the late great Marion Barry which was "That bitch set me up" and followed that up "that's 100% all facts"

About what ???

Lena Waithe calls out Will Smith, Denzel Washington for not doing more to support black-led films

“And don’t get me started on black financiers! How many of those do we have? I’m not [going to name] names because I know better, but there are some very big black movie stars out there, and they could pay for two or three or even five small independent movies to get made by black directors and black writers,” she said. “Let me give you two movies that are very important to the black community: Moonlight and 12 Years a Slave. Whose production company put those out?”

Buchanan acknowledged that it was Brad Pitt’s production company, Plan B.

“Wasn’t Denzel Washington. Wasn't Will Smith." Waithe said. “You won’t catch me making $20 million a movie and not paying for at least four or five independent movies a year. I do give credit to [director and producer] Ava [DuVernay] for trying to build something that hasn’t been built before, but that’s a lot on Ava’s back.”

“I’m over here trying to build a community, and I don’t see other people doing it,” she said. “I really do feel like there’s a way for us to change the movie business from the inside out, but we’re all in our own silos doing our own thing.”

Lena Waithe calls out Will Smith, Denzel Washington for not doing more to support black-led films

“And don’t get me started on black financiers! How many of those do we have? I’m not [going to name] names because I know better, but there are some very big black movie stars out there, and they could pay for two or three or even five small independent movies to get made by black directors and black writers,” she said. “Let me give you two movies that are very important to the black community: Moonlight and 12 Years a Slave. Whose production company put those out?”

Buchanan acknowledged that it was Brad Pitt’s production company, Plan B.

“Wasn’t Denzel Washington. Wasn't Will Smith." Waithe said. “You won’t catch me making $20 million a movie and not paying for at least four or five independent movies a year. I do give credit to [director and producer] Ava [DuVernay] for trying to build something that hasn’t been built before, but that’s a lot on Ava’s back.”

“I’m over here trying to build a community, and I don’t see other people doing it,” she said. “I really do feel like there’s a way for us to change the movie business from the inside out, but we’re all in our own silos doing our own thing.”

wtf3.gif

Back